• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Shop Recommendations in Eastern PA

stuckinphilly

Putting on skis
Skier
Not sure if this is the place to post this. Sorry in advance if it isn't.

I'm looking for a shop in eastern PA to mount a pair of skis for me and do some tuning work on an older set. (stone grind and tune)

Does anybody have recommendations for shops that really give a dam about their repair work?

I live in the Philadelphia area but travel west to Harrisburg and north to the NY line for work. So anywhere in that area could work. Tell me about that shop that goes the extra mile.

Thanks in advance!

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Other than Buckman's being the 800lb gorilla in the area, you have Ski Bum in Chadds Ford and Salters just west of Norristown. In the Poconos you have shops like The Ski Loft on Camelback's access road and there is/was a pretty good shop up by Elk. Past that, maybe some of the locals can chime in,like @BC. ?

John Nedzel

Booting up
Skier
Mountainside Ski and Sports is the other Harrisburg area option. I live close to, like and use both shops. Both are active in the local race community. Also they both do excellent work. As an instructor I'm happy to recommend both shops to my clients that are shopping in the Harrisburg area.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Mountainside Ski and Sports is the other Harrisburg area option. I live close to, like and use both shops. Both are active in the local race community. Also they both do excellent work. As an instructor I'm happy to recommend both shops to my clients that are shopping in the Harrisburg area.
Yep, ask for Scott Stewart, tell him we sent you.

BC.

NEPA ShopRat/Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Other than Buckman's being the 800lb gorilla in the area, you have Ski Bum in Chadds Ford and Salters just west of Norristown. In the Poconos you have shops like The Ski Loft on Camelback's access road and there is/was a pretty good shop up by Elk. Past that, maybe some of the locals can chime in,like @BC. ?

I always recommend Scott Hopkins at Guenthers at Elk.....he is the best.

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
The Ski Bum in Chadds Ford is small, not the main shop where they do the work, which is in college town Newark, Delaware (U of D). A nice bunch of folks if you get the right ones that know skiing, not boarding. Not that the boarders are bad, just not too helpful. They special ordered and fitted my Lange RS 130's in 30.5 (!), so I like them a lot! They also took care of my wife's and daughter's boots. I can't say too much of the base grind and 1/3 tune they gave my wife's skis, but it was fine for recreational purposes. While the angles seemed okay, I had to polish the side edges a bit with diamond stones to smooth them out.

Olesya C

Always learning
Skier
I highly recommend Alpina ski shop near Jack Frost. Dieter (the shop owner) does a great job tuning skis, very knowledgeable about ski gear. He is also an excellent bootfitter. @tinymoose @Large Squirrel and @Wendy all shop for ski gear and do their bootfitting at Alpina. In fact, they introduced me to Alpina and Dieter when I moved to PA 3 year ago.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I highly recommend Alpina ski shop near Jack Frost. Dieter (the shop owner) does a great job tuning skis, very knowledgeable about ski gear. He is also an excellent bootfitter. @tinymoose @Large Squirrel and @Wendy all shop for ski gear and do their bootfitting at Alpina. In fact, they introduced me to Alpina and Dieter when I moved to PA 3 year ago.
I forgot about that shop. Dieter has been there a while.

tinymoose

Getting off the lift
Skier
Awesome, Thanks for the feedback folks. I'm surprised at how many of these shops I've never heard of. Cheers!

Just a heads up, if you want to check it out... the annual tent sale starts tomorrow at Alpina Ski Shop and runs through Monday.

Willyum215

Col. Mustard
Skier
Danzeisen & Quigley in Cherry Hill NJ is another shop in the immediate Philly area. Living in the city proper it's the closest for me, about 20mins over the Ben Franklin or Walt Whitman bridges.

I can't say I am the biggest fan of the owner personally, but they do fine work and are convenient to get to from center city. I've had numerous pairs of skis mounted and tuned there.

jessnie

Booting up
Skier
In case anyone finds this helpful - I was looking for a good shop to get a attack 13 demo binding mounted on a pair of new skis. Initially contacted Alpina (as it's closer to where I am) and was told that they currently don't have the jig to install demo. Then reached out to guenther's ski haus by Elk and confirmed that they can do it.

jessnie

Booting up
Skier
@jessnie Idlewild near Elk has the Attack 13 jig as well. Both are great shops, I split my business between them as much as possible.
That's very good to know, thanks! Being a new joiner from Philly on this forum, definitely would love to get to know all the good shops in the area. Appreciate the recommendation!

Reactions: BC.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January