• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Shop Recommendations in Eastern PA

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
That's very good to know, thanks! Being a new joiner from Philly on this forum, definitely would love to get to know all the good shops in the area. Appreciate the recommendation!
Buckmans in the 800lb gorilla in the Philly market now after buying out Wicks and many others. At a chain like Buckmans, I am sure there are a few knowledgable skiers to get information from but I don't have any names and which store they might be at other than Ken (Shaner) in Exton but here is there very limited times. There are a few in the Poconos that some will feel more comfortable referring you to.

jessnie

Booting up
Skier
@jessnie what part of Philly do you live in? My wife and I are in Fishtown- although we've basically been living a mile away from Elk in Union Dale for the past year since the pandemic hit.
I'm in center city, and envious where you are right now - definitely a smart move. Me and my wife just got into skis this season, otherwise we will probably do the same.

jessnie

Booting up
Skier
Buckmans in the 800lb gorilla in the Philly market now after buying out Wicks and many others. At a chain like Buckmans, I am sure there are a few knowledgable skiers to get information from but I don't have any names and which store they might be at other than Ken (Shaner) in Exton but here is there very limited times. There are a few in the Poconos that some will feel more comfortable referring you to.
Thanks, Phil! The body of knowledge you and the fellow skiers here have and your generosity of sharing them is captivating. Glad there's a community like this for beginners like me to learn. Hopefully at some point I can also start contributing to the discussion with great substance like everybody else. Way to go!

SKI-3PO

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Thanks, Phil! The body of knowledge you and the fellow skiers here have and your generosity of sharing them is captivating. Glad there's a community like this for beginners like me to learn. Hopefully at some point I can also start contributing to the discussion with great substance like everybody else. Way to go!
Where have you been doing your skiing so far?

jessnie

Booting up
Skier
Where have you been doing your skiing so far?
We've skied about 10 days (we're weekend warriors) this season so far, initially at Spring Mountain which is the closest (40 minutes drive) to where we live, and then moved to Blue Mountain. We plan to hit the slopes at Elk this weekend partially to get my new ski mounted and tuned at Guenther's and also given many good things being said about that mountain here on the forum.

SKI-3PO

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Great - I think you’ll have a good time at Elk. Good for you if you’ve survived weekends at Blue.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
We've skied about 10 days (we're weekend warriors) this season so far, initially at Spring Mountain which is the closest (40 minutes drive) to where we live, and then moved to Blue Mountain. We plan to hit the slopes at Elk this weekend partially to get my new ski mounted and tuned at Guenther's and also given many good things being said about that mountain here on the forum.
I'd be confident shopping there for gear too.

jessnie

Booting up
Skier
I'd be confident shopping there for gear too.
You read my mind... I'm actually thinking about checking out for a new pair of skis boots to replace my Atomic Hawx Prime 90, or at least have Scott check the fit and whether he thinks it makes sense to upgrade. Wife is definitely gonna push back hard as I just got that pair this season... we will see. Any recommendation? Size might be the biggest limiting factor, as I'm a 24.5 mondo guy.

Reactions: BC.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Any recommendation? Size might be the biggest limiting factor, as I'm a 24.5 mondo guy.
Recommendations? Absolutely. The ones that fit YOUR foot. ;) Yes, the 24.5 might be the tough part. Many shops do not stock these. Most upper end junior race beens share some shells with the adult counter parts, these are usually in the 100-110 flex range and could work. Now, a good amount of the high end boots from the other side of the wall do have pretty basic black or nuteral graphics so if you are open, they might give some addtional options.

jessnie

Booting up
Skier
Recommendations? Absolutely. The ones that fit YOUR foot. ;) Yes, the 24.5 might be the tough part. Many shops do not stock these. Most upper end junior race beens share some shells with the adult counter parts, these are usually in the 100-110 flex range and could work. Now, a good amount of the high end boots from the other side of the wall do have pretty basic black or nuteral graphics so if you are open, they might give some addtional options.
Me in the parking lot of the shop: "Honey can you wait me in the car, mount the binding to the skis usually takes a long time and quite boring."
1 hour later me walking out with a pair of new boots: "Lucky day they let you pick a pair of boots for free for any skis work, can you believe that?!"

1chris5

Getting off the lift
Skier
I just had Salomon warden 13 bindings mounted on Qst 99s at REI in King of Prussia, just because they were cheapest. I don‘t know about their tuning. I skied the qst’s on Monday and Tuesday and I loved the set up. I had a pair of 2016 monster 83s tuned with a grind to .5/3 at Blue Mountain. I skied them last week and were great but I didn’t think to check the work. They seem very busy, so their work may be more of a factory type production. It‘s very reasonably priced.

jessnie

Booting up
Skier
Quick update of my Elk / Guenther's trip over the past weekend: Elk is definitely much less crowded than Blue, which I can see is a big plus for lots of the advanced/expert skiers on this forum. But for intermediates like me, I have to admit that I actually prefer Blue where seems to have more variation of the terrains (green and blue) and people skiing down the slopes that my wife and I enjoy watching on the lift. It has a more "lively" feel to us. I cannot comment on the snow condition, as the past weekend was pretty bad at Elk possibly due to weather condition. All in all, it's difficult for us to justify 1 additional hour of driving (2 round trip) to Elk compared with Blue.

Had a great time meeting Scott at Guenther's and he was very kind to get two pairs of skis (binding mount and inspection of the factory tune) ready for us over night so that we can take them home on our way back. Stockli AX for me and Kastle DX 85 for wife, and both look great out of factory according to Scott. Tried to shop for a pair boots, but it's season end so no available size in stock to try.

All in all, great season end trip and thanks for all the suggestions!

Reactions: BC.

DreaminBoutPow

Amateur hour
Skier
Does anybody know when the area shops close for the season / IF they close for the season (as I know some just switch to bikes/kayaks/etc)? I have a pair of used skis incoming and if possible, would like to get them looked at, in particular the bindings. I'll probably hold off till beginning of next season to get them tested, but I want to make sure I don't have any red flags before too long after I receive the skis.

I am closest to the Reading Buckman's and I think they close on the 31st, next closest are Mountainside and World Cup (about same distance) in the Harrisburg area. I've never been to either of the last two shops but willing to give them a shot, particularly if they do a better job than Buckman's! I haven't had any particular issue with Buckman's, but I am not often impressed with the level of knowledge of the general staff. That said, Ryan is one of the managers there and he did a boot fit with me last year and I'm very happy with them, he certainly seems to know his shit.

gwasson

Mid Atlantic banana belt dweller
Skier
Does anybody know when the area shops close for the season / IF they close for the season (as I know some just switch to bikes/kayaks/etc)? I have a pair of used skis incoming and if possible, would like to get them looked at, in particular the bindings. I'll probably hold off till beginning of next season to get them tested, but I want to make sure I don't have any red flags before too long after I receive the skis.

I am closest to the Reading Buckman's and I think they close on the 31st, next closest are Mountainside and World Cup (about same distance) in the Harrisburg area. I've never been to either of the last two shops but willing to give them a shot, particularly if they do a better job than Buckman's! I haven't had any particular issue with Buckman's, but I am not often impressed with the level of knowledge of the general staff. That said, Ryan is one of the managers there and he did a boot fit with me last year and I'm very happy with them, he certainly seems to know his shit.

Mountainside stays open year round. You might want to give them a call as they will be moving to spring/summer hours next week. Right now they are 11am-7pm Mon-Fri, and Saturday 10-5, closed on Sundays.

Next week the hours change to Mon - Wed 11-7, Thursday - Saturday 9-5.

I would call to verify the hours.

DreaminBoutPow

Amateur hour
Skier
Mountainside stays open year round. You might want to give them a call as they will be moving to spring/summer hours next week. Right now they are 11am-7pm Mon-Fri, and Saturday 10-5, closed on Sundays.

Next week the hours change to Mon - Wed 11-7, Thursday - Saturday 9-5.

I would call to verify the hours.

Appreciate the heads up, I'll give them a ring. Will they still do ski stuff during spring or do they pack all that stuff away and switch over to bikes?

gwasson

Mid Atlantic banana belt dweller
Skier
Appreciate the heads up, I'll give them a ring. Will they still do ski stuff during spring or do they pack all that stuff away and switch over to bikes?

I think it depends on what you want done. They do drain the stone grinder and generally stop doing tunes for the spring/summer. But all the equipment is still in the back shop, there is no place to pack it away. Binding work shouldn't be a problem, but calling and verifying is the best option.

Their main focus in spring/summer is definitely bike service over skis.

I just got confirmation that their spring/summer hours were what I posted before, except Saturdays are 9-4.

DreaminBoutPow

Amateur hour
Skier
I think it depends on what you want done. They do drain the stone grinder and generally stop doing tunes for the spring/summer. But all the equipment is still in the back shop, there is no place to pack it away. Binding work shouldn't be a problem, but calling and verifying is the best option.

Their main focus in spring/summer is definitely bike service over skis.

I just got confirmation that their spring/summer hours were what I posted before, except Saturdays are 9-4.

Great, thanks again. Will be sure to call. I don't have any intent to do any shop tunes until fall anyway, just want to make sure these bindings are good to go.

I will probably try them in the fall over Buckmans though and see if I like them better.

MikeW Philly

Getting off the lift
Skier
Have new set of skis, Lasar AR on order. IS there a general consensus from the other Philly region locals on where to take the skis for initial tune and setup?

I’ve bought from Alpina, Buckmans, and even Blue. But never seen real tune-up. As this pair of skis is a big upgrade from me, trying to figure out the best place to take for tuning in the region.

I see Elk come up a lot, which I can do but it’s not super continent for me. Will if that is the place to go though.

Sponsor

Staff online