• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Should the needs of the few outweigh the needs of the many?

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Thing is, no matter the degree of craftsmanship, a katana is essentially useless as anything but an object of art.

We don’t live in feudal Japan, don’t fight battles or settle disputes with swords, don’t execute condemned prisoners who are carefully tied together so that a master swordsman with a 5-body Katana can take them out with one strike.

Now, a good set of Wustoff knives is exceedingly useful for preparing food and cooking, and that’s where I want my craftsmanship.

That's actually an excellent answer to the OP's question!

Well done!:golfclap:

P.S. I of course completely disagree with it but that does not make it any less excellent defence of the needs of the many.
Chapeau Mr. Chaus!

Last edited:

Pacobillie

Putting on skis
Skier
I think the problem stems from the following. Most skiers believe that by buying better equipment, they will be better skiers. They also assume that higher end (more expensive) equipment is the best for them. Very few realize that as performance increases, forgiveness usually decreases. The promise of higher performance can only be fulfilled if you have the skill set to go with it. Dealers should advise customers against buying equipment that exceeds their skill set. Unfortunately, few do, as they are just too happy to close the sale. Then, the customer goes out on the slopes with a pair of skis that he/she can't handle. In the end, the customer is not happy, and believes that the Revolution XXX skis are garbage. Manufacturers may want to try and avoid that by sacrificing some performance, at the expense of forgiveness.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Dealers should advise customers against buying equipment that exceeds their skill set.
I cannot tell you how many times I have said when I knew it was a bad choice for that skier "I'll won't sell you that ski but I let you buy" they ask why? I will say "From what you told, I don't think it's right, but I still have an obligation to take your money."
Then, the customer goes out on the slopes with a pair of skis that he/she can't handle. In the end, the customer is not happy, and believes that the Revolution XXX skis are garbage.
This is why we don't talk about what the BEST ski is like so many publications because that best ski is not the best for the majority of the skiers that are shopping, as you say it is usually too much ski. I know the majority of product managers I talk to have no problem with us suggesting a ski from another brand on SkiTalk because we have their interests in mind and they know that it will come back to them when we recommend their ski because our goal is to set them up for success, and if they are happy it is better for the brand too.

tomahawkins

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
What if a ski company marketed and priced their intermediate skis as the flagships and sold their expert skis as the second tier, lower priced products? The masses wanting the "best" and willing to pay for it, end up with skis that are the best (for them), the ski company makes a bundle, and the experts get a well deserved discount. Everybody wins!

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
What if a ski company marketed and priced their intermediate skis as the flagships and sold their expert skis as the second tier, lower priced products? The masses wanting the "best" and willing to pay for it, end up with skis that are the best (for them), the ski company makes a bundle, and the experts get a well deserved discount. Everybody wins!
There is a basic business saying "When you serve the masses, you eat with the classes. When you serve the classes, you eat with the masses" I also like, "No one buys a McDonalds because they like the burgers".

thebonafortuna

Booting up
Skier
My wife is die-hard manual transmission. '99 Audi A4 still going strong (We should start a Audi manual transmission thread :) )
Make at a German AWD/MT thread and add me :) Unless my kids want it, they’ll need to pry my 340 from my cold dead hands with fork lift or just bury me in it. I added snow tires to the mix and now the drives to the mountain are almost as fun as the skiing itself.

Almost.

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
Make at a German AWD/MT thread and add me :) Unless my kids want it, they’ll need to pry my 340 from my cold dead hands with fork lift or just bury me in it. I added snow tires to the mix and now the drives to the mountain are almost as fun as the skiing itself.

Almost.
I resemble that remark.
1FDBFAA0-C503-49A3-9354-4F96ED86CDAD.jpeg

Sponsor

Staff online