• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Ski boot covers

AtleB

Out on the slopes
Skier
Can anyone who has tried insulating ski boot covers share their experiences?
I have been considering these for my kids to wear on the colder days, but do they actually help?

peterm

Getting off the lift
Skier
Yes, they help (assuming you're talking about the neoprene ones). It's been a while, but from memory they can be a little fiddly putting on and they don't last forever. Good for very cold powder days.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
Yes, they do make a difference, but not as much as boot heaters. Combined with boot heaters - again a noticeable advantage over boot heaters alone. (I'm afraid to turn the boot heaters on high due to warnings about burnt feet; with my diabetic neuropathy, I would burn my feet and not know it until it was too late.)

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
Ditto what @François Pugh is saying. Thermic boot heaters and boot gloves. It's -26C on the deck this morning and I'm not sure where my boot gloves are. But I will be looking for them shortly. Batteries on 2nd charge.

But in another thread your are complaining about cold feet and pain. This is not going to help a circulation problem. You need to see a fitter about your boots period.

TS
AtleB

AtleB

Out on the slopes
Skier
Ditto what @François Pugh is saying. Thermic boot heaters and boot gloves. It's -26C on the deck this morning and I'm not sure where my boot gloves are. But I will be looking for them shortly. Batteries on 2nd charge.

But in another thread your are complaining about cold feet and pain. This is not going to help a circulation problem. You need to see a fitter about your boots period.
I think you mistake me for someone else. I pretty much never have cold or painful feet.
Thanks for feedback on the neoprene covers, will try some for my kids

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
I think you mistake me for someone else. I pretty much never have cold or painful feet.
Thanks for feedback on the neoprene covers, will try some for my kids
I have a pair of amateur racer ("masters") boots. I like them in most respects, but they are cold and cut off circulation. Dobermann GP, if that matters.

The boots feel fairly comfortable and snug, hard to tell where the circulation gets cut off. I suspect it's due to high arch and tall midfoot. Unbuckle them for every lift ride.

If I want a boot that I can wear for most of the day (~6 hours), is my only option another pair of boots? I imagine going on a cat ski day and having to stop for fear of losing my toes...

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
Electric heaters and boot gloves are a good way to go if the feet are really cold. Boot gloves help alone, but just a little.

Some of the boot gloves have the underboot strap in a spot that is a bit too close to the binding plate - for my peace of mind. I've finally found a brand that sews that strap back farther. The strap shouldnot sit directly on the plate.

It's the strap that goes from walking on hard surfaces. These things don't last forever.

Some days the snow gets stuck up under the boot gloves and a nice layer of compressed snow forms up against the boot. Not all days, just some. I've never figured out what makes this happen. It's intermittent enough to not bother me. I shake the snow out and keep going.

TS
AtleB

AtleB

Out on the slopes
Skier
Electric heaters and boot gloves are a good way to go if the feet are really cold. Boot gloves help alone, but just a little.

Some of the boot gloves have the underboot strap in a spot that is a bit too close to the binding plate - for my peace of mind. I've finally found a brand that sews that strap back farther. The strap shouldnot sit directly on the plate.

It's the strap that goes from walking on hard surfaces. These things don't last forever.

Some days the snow gets stuck up under the boot gloves and a nice layer of compressed snow forms up against the boot. Not all days, just some. I've never figured out what makes this happen. It's intermittent enough to not bother me. I shake the snow out and keep going.
What brand did you find that sews the strap farther back?
Also I am looking to get some for my kids, does anyone manufacture these for kids or is the adult size small the smallest I can get?

Yo Momma

Making fresh tracks
Skier
+1 on what others have already stated. If it's cold, it's critical to be in a warm place to put on your Thermic's/Hotronics + Boot Gloves. That's a combo that has cured my problem of cold feet down to -35F...along w/ properly fitting boots.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier

I've seen this a lot with small-but-wide feet.

Usually happens when the upper part of the boot glove is pulled straight back to the heel but the lower edge has very low tension over the instep - or between the buckles on the lateral side.

A second under-sole strap, fixed with a pair of pop-buttons solves this, but it's yet another thing to eff with.

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
I've seen this a lot with small-but-wide feet.

Usually happens when the upper part of the boot glove is pulled straight back to the heel but the lower edge has very low tension over the instep - or between the buckles on the lateral side.

A second under-sole strap, fixed with a pair of pop-buttons solves this, but it's yet another thing to eff with.
And it can interfere with the bindings if one is not paying attention. Been there done that.

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
For me they cured leaking boots and really helped. What was even better was heated boots. Starting warm really extended my ski till my feet are frozen time. I now have a heated boot tree and heated boot bag. I also got new boots that don't leak.

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
I used Boot Gloves for years, figuring it was cheaper to try them first before going the full Heatronics route. They did make a difference. However, the inability to unlatch your lower buckles when you ride the lift is irritating.

Ultimately, I discovered that dressing warmer, especially on your legs, did the trick. I started using a set of shell pants over my insulated ski pants. (The Boot Gloves are still in my locker, tho.) Unfortunately, I've outgrown that arrangement, but now use extra long underwear to compensate. That, and pulling my hood up over my helmet, seems to make a huge difference. Then again, they've stopped running the lifts on -15°F days.

I do have my ski boots on heaters from the time I arrive home until I put them on my feet again, so the entire boot is thoroughly warmed through and through before it goes on my foot.

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier

This is the nuisance part of putting the boot gloves on. That band needs working back on the boot until it slots in behind the boot toes piece. Then it doesn't interfere with the binding and doesn't get walked on. Atomic Hawx 120S. May not be possible for boots with longer toe pieces.

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier

Sponsor

Staff online