• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Ski MD tuning

Jersey Skier

aka RatherPlayThanWork or Gary
Skier
Anyone know the typical turnaround time for Ski MD? I figure with the slow start to the season around here I should still have time to send a few pairs up for a tune.

bbbradley

Out on the slopes
Skier
Call and ask, it varies and if you ask he may be able to accommodate your schedule.

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Call and Mike will let you know. I always tell him no rush on skis. He is flexible usually.

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
When I picked up my skis a week ago Mike said he was backed up likely until January. I'd give him a call to see. I think he's closed on Mondays.

bob.knox

Booting up
Skier
Last year I needed a back-to-factory tune. Dropped them off a week before Thanksgiving, and got them back just after Christmas. I was also in no rush and didn't push. The stacks of skis in his shop this time of year are mind boggling.

tch

What do I know; I'm just some guy on the internet.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
PIcked up my skis last week. I had talked to him about shipping them back when I left them, but when I called last week he said he was too busy to deal with that unless it was ABSOLUTELY imperative. Definitely give him a call; he answers the phone.

Joby Graham

Getting off the lift
Skier
I contacted him shortly after Thanksgiving about sending a pair of new Laser AXs for his "factory fresh tune" service and change the edge angles to 1/3. He replied the following day, saying that he couldn't get to them until February, and no promise even then. Mike intimated the his current workload is untenable.

Any suggestions for a competent ski tuner/shop in northern NJ?

TS
Jersey Skier

Jersey Skier

aka RatherPlayThanWork or Gary
Skier
I'll give him a shout, but sounds like it won't happen this season. He's obviously got a great business going. Too bad any other place I choose around here is just a gamble on the outcome.

BS Slarver

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Gary
Reach out to the shop at Windham and ask for Ms. Cohain, her fist name escapes me at the moment. If she is still tuning and their Montana machine s still in use it’s about as close to a second pick to ski MD as I can think of in your area. She knows her stuff ! They are also a Stockli dealer so who knows what you might find while your there.

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I contacted him shortly after Thanksgiving about sending a pair of new Laser AXs for his "factory fresh tune" service and change the edge angles to 1/3. He replied the following day, saying that he couldn't get to them until February, and no promise even then. Mike intimated the his current workload is untenable.

Any suggestions for a competent ski tuner/shop in northern NJ?

Mike told me the same thing, that his workload is too much right now. It's a tough situation for him because the minute he hires someone to help then you're not getting "his" tune but someone he has trained. Now that person might still be better than a lot of other shops but as I told Mike, I'm paying $100 for a FF tune for him to do the work and not someone else. He now has the shop open year round and is trying to entice his customers to bring their skis in during the late spring and summer. I wax and do minor sharpening on my own but any major work I take to Mike and plan to do so over the summer. I had to wait almost 7 weeks to get mine back after dropping them off mid-October.

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
I'm glad to see Mike's business is doing so well... he's obviously become The Shop here in New England, but a two month turnaround? :geek: I remember when he'd get them done in a week, tops.

I guess I'll have to get into thinking about getting skis tuned for the coming season during the summer instead of "oh, it's November... must be time". I didn't see him prior to this season because I basically didn't ski last year.

Jwrags

Aka pwdrhnd
Skier
Sounds like he needs a new pricing structure. Perhaps he should charge double for his work compared to his trainee.

Reactions: mdf

S.H.

USSA Coach
Skier
Mike told me the same thing, that his workload is too much right now. It's a tough situation for him because the minute he hires someone to help then you're not getting "his" tune but someone he has trained. Now that person might still be better than a lot of other shops but as I told Mike, I'm paying $100 for a FF tune for him to do the work and not someone else. He now has the shop open year round and is trying to entice his customers to bring their skis in during the late spring and summer. I wax and do minor sharpening on my own but any major work I take to Mike and plan to do so over the summer. I had to wait almost 7 weeks to get mine back after dropping them off mid-October.
Does he have somebody helping him with the more mundane things (interacting with customers, taking payments, printing shipping labels, etc.)? I know he was looking for it in the early fall when I talked with him ... it was great to chat for 20-30 min, but that's probably not sustainable for him

KevinF

Team Gathermeister
I'm not sure what the process is here; i.e., he's obviously doing everything by machine.

Is the "time suck" that the machine can only work so fast? Mike's obviously turning out a superior product, but where is his skill level coming in that an assistant (with access to the same machine) wouldn't necessarily be able to replicate?

Scrundy

I like beer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Other then a grind or a base bevel change a good tune can be done at home, just saying

James

Out There
Instructor
Is the "time suck" that the machine can only work so fast? Mike's obviously turning out a superior product, but where is his skill level coming in that an assistant (with access to the same machine) wouldn't necessarily be able to replicate?
Contrary to what the sellers of said machines want you to believe, monkeys can’t turn out consistent product. Or, put another way, the machine doesn’t know how things are turning out.

It’s difficult to maintain consistent quality help that can check results and modify.
That’s likely a big part of why Edgewise in Stowe closed. It would be worth an interview with Graham to find out why, and how he used to maintain quality. He still remains the only shop where I’ve never got a bad grind. I’ve had unskiable ones from “good” ski town shops.

Last edited:

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
@Jersey Skier the last stone grind I got was at the Ski Barn down here by me and the tune was very good. If I remember correctly I had a .75/3 and they skied very well. I didn't ski last season (2020 2021) due to COVID-19 so I didn't get them done last year, the work was done for the (2019 2020) season not sure if the same technician is still working there.

KevinF

Team Gathermeister
Contrary to what the sellers of said machines want you to believe, monkeys can’t turn out consistent product. Or, put another way, the machine doesn’t know how things are turning out.

It’s difficult to maintain consistent quality help that can check results and modify.
That’s likely a big part of why Edgewise in Stowe closed. It would be worth an interview with Graham to find out why, and how he used to maintain quality. He still remains the only shop where I’ve never got a bad grind. I’ve had unskiable ones from “good” ski town shops.

From what I've heard... Graham's assistant is running the show at the MMSC club: https://mmsca.org/product-category/grind-and-wax/grinds/.

They are, or at least were, open to the public. I haven't stopped in to inquire though.

I heard Graham closed up shop due to him being tired of the customer service end of the job (i..e, arguing with MMSC parents about what level of service the kids' race skis required). That's only what I heard through the rumor mill though; I knew who Graham was, but I certainly didn't "know" him. @Erik Timmerman .

Sponsor

Staff online