• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Ski Travel Bag or Tube

TDCSPRINGS

Getting off the lift
Skier
It has been quite a few years since I have actually traveled the airlines with skis, but will likely be doing it this Christmas. What is everyone using to transport their skis on flights? I will be traveling with two sets of skis and two boot bags.

Anyone have experience with rilling bags and/or Sportube series 2? Really not sure which way to go here and appreciate the advice from the collective.

Joby Graham

Getting off the lift
Skier
I have the double SportTube and it has held up well, being used to fly from NJ to Steamboat. That's 20+ flights with connecting flights, so 40+ times being handled by the airlines. We use packing cubes in it to hold gloves, hats, underwear, etc. and still come in under 50lbs with two sets of skis, poles and the weight of the tube. The only downside is if the TSA opens it to check inside - everything fits in a specific order/orientation, and the chance of one of their agents putting in back together are slim.

dovski

Waxing my skis and praying for snow
Skier
I own the double SportTube and several ski bags. Hands down you should get a good ski bag with wheels. I can usually pack 2 pairs of skis and all my gear in it with the rest of my clothing for the trip in my boot bag. no issues with TSA inspections either and those happen a lot these days. Currently only use my SportTube for road trips where we strap it to the roof rack next to our ski box so we can haul more skis.

TS
T

TDCSPRINGS

Getting off the lift
Skier
Thanks guys. I really appreciate the insight.

Dovski - Any recommendations on a good bag that will hold a couple skis?

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
I just went though this decision. Top contenders were Sportube hard case, Sportube skishield, and Thule ski roller bag. I ended up with the Sportube hard case. I only needed to carry one pair of skis; Air Canada was stating hard case required; I spoke to someone who had had skis damaged in transit; I have pretty brand new skis to take out west. It will also fit my longer skis.
Unfortunately I can't give you a review of it.
You may find some info here https://www.skitalk.com/threads/current-practice-flying-with-skis.24574/

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Another vote for SporTube. I have the biggest one-the Series 3 ( I believe it is called). A kinda PITA to load it but bombproof. Heavy AF as well.
I hope one day someone will come up with a design similar to Nature Boys fishing rod case and this will be a good day for skiers.

Something like this:

1639214484499.png

Quandary

Out on the slopes
Skier
I use the Thule Roundtripper double bag. In addition to 2 pairs of skis and poles you can squeeze a lot of ski clothing into the bag.

ADKmel

Skiing the powder
Skier
Double sport tube for me. I travel w/2 pair-
Tip: I tied a shoe lace from the sport tube locking pin to the handle- Yes, Delta Lost my pin on a flight home from Canada-

I ALWAYS carry my boot bag with 1 day of ski clothes On Board-
Sometimes I have to "gate check" the boot bag and wait at the ramp for them to hand to me. I can rent skis but want 'my' boots

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Thanks guys. I really appreciate the insight.

Dovski - Any recommendations on a good bag that will hold a couple skis?
Kulkea, a cornerstone SkiTalk sponsor has the Kantaja...

https://www.skitalk.com/ams/kulkea’s-kantaja-double-roller-ski-bag.50/

mishka

Getting off the lift
Industry Insider
I travel with plastic sporttube. Never had ski bag. Two pair skis and poles feet in single ski box. If binding removed.
My first tube was destroyed beyond repair while skis received no damage. My second sports tube brand box also receive damage (deep cut on the bottom) which make noticeable indentation on rocker section of the tip. After that incident. I put substantial amount of form to protect the bottom.
Cannot imagine ski bag can fear better
recently I got double ski sporttube time will tell how well it take abuse from airlines.

From what I see some airports transport skis on the roller cart from luggage drop-off directly to the planes some others send skis with the luggage on a transporter. imo that's where the damage occur

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTubes have a few shortcomings for me.
  1. Weight. A 18lb tube is costly when you have 50lb weight limit.
  2. Design. The double tube was designed before "modern" skis, you almost need the triple to carry two pair.
  3. TSA: TSA cannot repack a tube the way it was originally packed, nor should they be expected to.

Drahtguy Kevin

Après aficionado
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I used to have a tube. Complete PIA. Packing it was a hassle and then the TSA stuff. I now have a Douchebag and traveling with skis is grand.

dovski

Waxing my skis and praying for snow
Skier
So just an FYI, I just ordered an Evoc Snow Gear Roller XL bag. Says it can hold 3-4 pairs of skis and has a special pocket for avi gear, which I like. Definitely something I can use with the family. I also like that the XL bag is only around 7-8 lbs and looks bomb proof with extra padding. If this works well I will likely pick up a second one. They also do version desigend for two pairs of skis that is much smaller but looks pretty sweet. Will post a review once I have some experience travelling and shipping this bag. A big plus for me was that it uses roller blade wheels with bearings which makes for much smoother rolling than my other bags. Wheels are also replaceable.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Seems like a lot of us here use tubes (me included)... but when I'm picking up my skis at baggage claim, I feel like I see 90% bags.

I keep my tube because it's bit more compact and maneuverable - somewhat important for me when I travel alone to ski and have my rolling suitcase, boot backpack, ski tube, and carryon to get around myself. But definitely more of a pain to pack up the tube than a bag.

FWIW, I've only had one TSA issue with it though 20+ trips - though they always open it and there's a slip inside.

Roundturns

Getting off the lift
Skier
SkiTubes have a few shortcomings for me.
  1. Weight. A 18lb tube is costly when you have 50lb weight limit.
  2. Design. The double tube was designed before "modern" skis, you almost need the triple to carry two pair.
  3. TSA: TSA cannot repack a tube the way it was originally packed, nor should they be expected to.
That has been my experience regarding TSA reassembling the Sports Tube correctly.
The tube has a much higher PITA factor packing it versus the double bag For me.
With the Tube you have to tip - tail opposite for a pair of skis then attach the straps to each set of skis. The plastic Tube doesn’t expand and give much.
I have a wheeled double bag now and for me it’s easier to use. Plus with the Sports Tube over the years the drilled holes chipped away and my length settings got reduced.

Just my $.02 , I like the bag better.

jgiddyup

Asst. Gathermeister--Utah
Skier
Bagman here. Close to 30 trips out west and while airlines have damaged the bags on multiple occossions, the contents have always been fine.

And as others have mentioned, they hold lots of stuff and are easy to pack.

TS
T

TDCSPRINGS

Getting off the lift
Skier
Many thanks to everyone for all of the advice. I will take a look and see what the options are. Living in CO, we very rarely fly anywhere to ski. Will have to compare cost of bag/tube and renting demos when we get to MT. It is definitely nice to have your own skis though

ejj

Prairie Skier
Skier
I have always used bags as well. If you are going with two pairs in one bag, you want wheels. Also, as mentioned earlier, take care with the weight of your empty bag/tube, as gear weight adds up and you don’t want to be at the gate and their scale reads 50. $$. DB bags are not as durable as some, but they roll up in the off-season and at your destination, which can be pretty nice.

Sponsor

Staff online