• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Ski Travel Bag or Tube

David

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
Skier
I get all my Sportube products from Sierra. They’re One-Oh-Something atm but they restock fairly often and they sell them cheaper than everyone else. We’ve bought two single tubes. One was $84 shipped from them. My double was $129. Got the two back packs onsale for $49 each.
I love Sierra!

skiki

Out on the slopes
Skier
Sierra gets closeouts, overstocks, returns, etc, so although they might often have things like Sportube it isn't a given. I'd say keep an eye on the site. With a Sportube you have a chance of finding it in the spring or summer too as it is also marketed for transporting things like fishing rods.

MacO512

Booting up
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I bought a tube at REI about a week ago - they had a 20% off code (think its now expired), free shipping to my local store, plus I had an $80 member credit so made it a good deal.

David

Skier
Do you mean Sierra Trading Post? I am trying to find the Sporttube single on the web site, no luck. Can you post a link? Thank you.
I didn't see it either but their items change often so keep checking. Otherwise I've had good luck with finding new items cheap on eBay too.

nascent

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
All that talk has me thinking about flying for one of my trips next winter and only driving once. The Steamboat version is $100 less than Sportube but after reading this thread I'm mow thinking about the Dakine double roller bag with room for most of my clothing.
I used the Dakine double roller on my most recent trip to Banff and it was great. I considered Thule and DB as well but Dakine is just better bang for the buck.

David

Skier
I used the Dakine double roller on my most recent trip to Banff and it was great. I considered Thule and DB as well but Dakine is just better bang for the buck.
I was originally thinking of a tube but I like the Dakine double a lot and it's so much easier to fill with other gear and easier for TSA to inspect and close correctly. I'm also finding them on sale for under $120.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
3 pages of reasons why adding 1-2 more travel days to drive your own vehicle with a ski box on top FTW.

Or, rent or buy something when you get there... ship them back..

David

Skier
3 pages of reasons why adding 1-2 more travel days to drive your own vehicle with a ski box on top FTW.

Or, rent or buy something when you get there... ship them back..
Extra days? When I drive I leave after work on Friday and get there Saturday afternoon or early evening and ski Sunday.
When I fly I get there Saturday by dinner and ski Sunday.

No wasted days for travel just a little tired on day 1.

MacO512

Booting up
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Extra days? When I drive I leave after work on Friday and get there Saturday afternoon or early evening and ski Sunday.

Must be nice... when I drive its 8 hours and all I've accomplished is moving from the middle of the state to the edge of it... still have another 8 hours of driving until I'm skiing.

David

Skier
Must be nice... when I drive its 8 hours and all I've accomplished is moving from the middle of the state to the edge of it... still have another 8 hours of driving until I'm skiing.
If it's only 16 hours just drive it all. I have an 18-24 hour drive and stopping for the night is a waste of a ski day!

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier

Anything under a 12 hour drive can work out the same with a flight delay.. Arrive in arrive in airport traffic, park, TSA, then a 4 hour flight delay, waiting on baggage, rental car pick up, more airport traffic, etc. and you could have driven and gotten there at the same time.. Just wait until they lose your skis. It's happened to me TWICE.

David

Skier
Anything under a 12 hour drive can work out the same with a flight delay.. Arrive in arrive in airport traffic, park, TSA, then a 4 hour flight delay, waiting on baggage, rental car pick up, more airport traffic, etc. and you could have driven and gotten there at the same time.. Just wait until they lose your skis. It's happened to me TWICE.
That's why I usually drive. And I can take as much suff and skis as I want. But I have friends that want to take 2 full days to drive each way so I'd rather fly and ski those 2 days. Or if it's over a 27 hour drive I'll sometimes fly. 37 hours is a haul after working/skiing all day first.

MacO512

Booting up
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Yeah I prefer driving to airports. However during the week I can work nearly a full day in airport/plane which gives me extra vacation day to ski. Can't work much on the laptop while driving.

David

Skier
Yeah I prefer driving to airports. However during the week I can work nearly a full day in airport/plane which gives me extra vacation day to ski. Can't work much on the laptop while driving.
Sounds like you need a co-pilot.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
Update: I used the sport tube. I was a little disappointed about how the skis had to be packed in the tube with ability to self damage in there if the tube got knocked around. They were well protected from outside threats.
I also bought a large wheeled top end bag branded by a ski company that I won't promote because their service really sucked when I tried to cancel the order for days, starting the instant I clicked on the order button. Yeah I know it was my bad; I did order it. I wanted to cancel because I realized they were way overcharging on shipping. Ok, if it's gone out the door no problem, but leaving me hanging for a day or two with no reply and then telling me it already left when shipping docs that show up later say otherwise is not what I want to support.
The bag is easier to pack, provides good protection from self damage of skis inside the bag and decent padding for protection from outside damage. The bag is better.

David

Skier
I also bought a large wheeled top end bag branded by a ski company that I won't promote because their service really sucked when I tried to cancel the order for days, starting the instant I clicked on the order button.
That's also good info to have so we know who to avoid!

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Our Dakine double is now 11 ears old and has flown with 2 pairs of skis 2 - 3 times each season. Still works great, but it is showing some signls of wear. Might only last another 10 years at this rate... we'll see and, hopefully be able to report back here in 10 years. lol. Will I still be flying off on ski trips when I'm 77?

What I'm trying to say is that if you're travelling a ton or want a bag that will last 30 years of hard use maybe think tube?

MOMENTinTime

Booting up
Skier
Update: I used the sport tube. I was a little disappointed about how the skis had to be packed in the tube with ability to self damage in there if the tube got knocked around. They were well protected from outside threats.
I also bought a large wheeled top end bag branded by a ski company that I won't promote because their service really sucked when I tried to cancel the order for days, starting the instant I clicked on the order button. Yeah I know it was my bad; I did order it. I wanted to cancel because I realized they were way overcharging on shipping. Ok, if it's gone out the door no problem, but leaving me hanging for a day or two with no reply and then telling me it already left when shipping docs that show up later say otherwise is not what I want to support.
The bag is easier to pack, provides good protection from self damage of skis inside the bag and decent padding for protection from outside damage. The bag is better.
20+ trips with sportubes already in the books. Never had any skis self damage themselves. If you pack the skis properly they cannot receive any damage inside the tube.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
20+ trips with sportubes already in the books. Never had any skis self damage themselves. If you pack the skis properly they cannot receive any damage inside the tube.
I'll echo that with something like 40 trips... only with a single SporTube, but I'd think the doubles would be the same. The skis simply don't move around enough to do any damage to each other.

Sponsor

Staff online