• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

LeLeedler

Racer at Heart
Skier
Hello PugSki, I was gone during this summer but, I am back for the new season and I have a big question and am looking for any advice I can get.

When I was about 18 (About 7 years ago) I herniated three discs over a rough football season and discovered this after shattering a vertebrae playing, It all hurt a bit more since I didn't even really enjoy playing that much. So it was awful it was the end of most of my ski racing prowess and It took about 1 year to properly heal. This has been for the most part behind me until this summer, I spent much of my off time during this summer hiking throughout Colorado. As this went along I felt an enemy of my past show up, back pain. I quickly recognized it and went to my doctor, after getting an MRI it showed I had herniated one disc and the previously herniated discs in my past were bulging. This is awful news for an active Coloradan.

I have been doing therapy since and am set for a partial recovery by late January to late February. I asked my physical therapist about skiing and she said it could be possible but, closer to that recovered time. This was hard to hear. I love skiing, it is to me more than a hobby, I live where I live because of skiing, it is not something I take lightly. So here's my question PugSki, should I get myself a pass? Last year I skied a little over 60 days using my Aspen Snowmass premier pass which cost a little over $2k, I spent about 35$ per day which felt like a really great deal and is comparatively to Aspen Snowmass day passes. Now, you'll all just say, get the pass, Don't miss out on skiing! Maybe I am just in denial, I am too anxious (I have a tendency to be like that), or whatever and I don't know enough but, I wonder if it is worth it if I am getting maybe 30 days in... Anyways, if you want to answer that you can... I don't think I know enough yet.

Now here is the real question, does anyone have any experience with this, if so do you have any tips and tricks? I would love to know anything I can, and I'd really appreciate any tips. One last question is, does this effect what skis I should buy If I do buy this season? Anyways.. this is droning on too long, please give me any help you can since I'll really appreciate it. :)

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
:wave:

Tore up my back a couple times pretty bad skiing freestyle in the early 80s. Working in a cabinet shop late 80s haling wood and moving furniture didn't to it any favors. Now mid 50s it can go :eek: POP just stepping off a curb wrong but usually takes something a lot more heavy to really set me back to that point that takes weeks to recover instead of a couple days. I've re-injured it just bending over to put my boots on in the parking lot.. Still skied 4 hours that day but was pretty crippled for a month afterwards. You know, when you have to sit down just to put on your shoes..:nono:

I take a neoprene back support wrap on multi day trips and sometimes need it. I push on though the pain but do dial things back when it's not 100%. Probably could go seek medical intervention if I needed to be more active and will have to if it gets to the point where it's really so bad I can't ski or function athletically at all.

Hanging either from a pull up bar or inversion boots seems to be what straightens it out best and feels great when I'm hurting. Keeping limber, stretching is what's kept me mostly mobile through it all..

TS
LeLeedler

LeLeedler

Racer at Heart
Skier
:wave:

Tore up my back a couple times pretty bad skiing freestyle in the early 80s. Working in a cabinet shop late 80s haling wood and moving furniture didn't to it any favors. Now mid 50s it can go :eek: POP just stepping off a curb wrong but usually takes something a lot more heavy to really set me back to that point that takes weeks to recover instead of a couple days. I've re-injured it just bending over to put my boots on in the parking lot.. Still skied 4 hours that day but was pretty crippled for a month afterwards. You know, when you have to sit down just to put on your shoes..:nono:

I take a neoprene back support wrap on multi day trips and sometimes need it. I push on though the pain but do dial things back when it's not 100%. Probably could go seek medical intervention if I needed to be more active and will have to if it gets to the point where it's really so bad I can't ski or function athletically at all.

Hanging either from a pull up bar or inversion boots seems to be what straightens it out best and feels great when I'm hurting. Keeping limber, stretching is what's kept me mostly mobile through it all..
All great Information! I just looked into inversion boots and that seems like a godsend to me, will be purchasing when the chance arrives. My back injury has been strange in that it hasn't been much about weight, much more focused on mobility. As far as surgery goes I have actively done what I can to avoid surgery (on the discs that is) the main reason why I haven't gotten surgery is because few hospitals wanted to do it then and today most hospitals won't do the surgery at all since it has now proven to lead to more complications in later life. This is something I must defeat though, I have been doing power lifting for a long time now (great help for leg strength in skiing btw) and that has been off the table, and I am most concerned about. Skiing, anyways... Thanks for the response!

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Let me start 2 damaged discs in the neck before 14 (nine skiing related) hairline fractures in the spin between the shoulder blades (skiing caused) at about 27.

You are in for pain long term. Sorry play hard pay hard is the saying and applies.

That said! Take time and heal!!!

You will develop (and continue to develop) scare tissue at these injures and they will impede and hinder movement and cause pain. To prevent this see an extremely good therapist/chiropractor to break lose the scare tissue. WARNING!!!! DONE WRONG IT CAN CAUSE SERIOUS DAMAGE OR WORSE!!!! Done right it can help beyond belief!

Research this and go in eyes wide open. I’m 52 now and have little pain or hinderances do to this injures.

You decide for yourself, at your own risk is the best advise I can give, don’t let us wanna be quacks drive your decision.

TS
LeLeedler

LeLeedler

Racer at Heart
Skier
Let me start 2 damaged discs in the neck before 14 (nine skiing related) hairline fractures in the spin between the shoulder blades (skiing caused) at about 27.

You are in for pain long term. Sorry play hard pay hard is the saying and applies.

That said! Take time and heal!!!

You will develop (and continue to develop) scare tissue at these injures and they will impede and hinder movement and cause pain. To prevent this see an extremely good therapist/chiropractor to break lose the scare tissue. WARNING!!!! DONE WRONG IT CAN CAUSE SERIOUS DAMAGE OR WORSE!!!! Done right it can help beyond belief!

Research this and go in eyes wide open. I’m 52 now and have little pain or hinderances do to this injures.

You decide for yourself, at your own risk is the best advise I can give, don’t let us wanna be quacks drive your decision.
Fantastic advise! Of courser that's not the type of thing you wanna hear but, that's life. I am thinking I'll probably wait until the end of my treatment and decide later since while money is a concern I can for the most part if I have a good month cover the cost of an Aspen/Snowmass pass. I am personally against seeing a chiropractor since it can be a money pit and a bit of an addiction but, my physical therapy has some built in message which can really help. I am glad you said what you said, this is worthwhile advise I will certainly take into account.

Fishbowl

A Parallel Universe
Skier
Taking a few minutes to warm up your back and then gently stretch it before skiing can avoid a lot of injuries.

On extra colds days I stick a couple of the chemical toe warmers inside my base layer to keep my back warm and supple.

Ibuprofen.

Quit for the day at the first sign of discomfort, or pay for it later.

TS
LeLeedler

LeLeedler

Racer at Heart
Skier
Taking a few minutes to warm up your back and then gently stretch it before skiing can avoid a lot of injuries.

On extra colds days I stick a couple of the chemical toe warmers inside my base layer to keep my back warm and supple.

Ibuprofen.

Quit for the day at the first sign of discomfort, or pay for it later.
I have been quitting early for years, it is a life saver for sure. I definitely need to stretch more before I ski, when I raced in my youth stretching was very very important and could actually improve times quite substantially (even half a second is a lot). I will definitely look into using heat pads on my back since I own some chemical sticky heat pads and that could be a lifesaver in the cold. As everyone, great advice and I am super gracious to have you all hear to help me.

rmcintosh

Booting up
Skier
I have dealt with disc issues for the last 12 years. My L4 & L5 area is the worst. When it is bothering me I use a coreflex disc unloader back brace. This was recommended by one of the top sports doctors in Canada. You should look into a specialized back brace for your self. Your PT should be able to recommend one that suits your specific needs.

TS
LeLeedler

LeLeedler

Racer at Heart
Skier
I have dealt with disc issues for the last 12 years. My L4 & L5 area is the worst. When it is bothering me I use a coreflex disc unloader back brace. This was recommended by one of the top sports doctors in Canada. You should look into a specialized back brace for your self. Your PT should be able to recommend one that suits your specific needs.
I have been considering one for a long time, but it seems like you can vouch for one, I will definitely look into it.

Brian Finch

Privateer Skier @ www.SkiWithaGrimRipper.com
Industry Insider
Ok - YOU NEED TO SKI!

Once you hit 20, it's completely normal for discs to rupture & look horrid on an MRI. The incidence of MRI 'abnormalities' in a 70 year old are near 90%. Pain is rarely structural in nature.

Activity & affect are fantastic modulators of pain.

What your back needs is exercise & what your nerves require are movement, blood flow & space.

Can you excessively load your body skiing - sure.

Take it slow at first. If your PT can't support you skiing- find a new PT!

TS
LeLeedler

LeLeedler

Racer at Heart
Skier
Ok - YOU NEED TO SKI!

Once you hit 20, it's completely normal for discs to rupture & look horrid on an MRI. The incidence of MRI 'abnormalities' in a 70 year old are near 90%. Pain is rarely structural in nature.

Activity & affect are fantastic modulators of pain.

What your back needs is exercise & what your nerves require are movement, blood flow & space.

Can you excessively load your body skiing - sure.

Take it slow at first. If your PT can't support you skiing- find a new PT!
I loved reading this! I will definitely take it easy for a good bit longer but, I definitely want to ski this season!

Magi

Instructor
Instructor
Brian is absolutely and 100% correct.

...What your back needs is exercise & what your nerves require are movement, blood flow & space.
...Take it slow at first. If your PT can't support you skiing- find a new PT!

Your best bet is to find a stellar sports medicine physician, and go to a great physical therapist the aforementioned Sports Med. Doctor recommends to get back to a place where you can train; then go to a stellar certified Strength and Conditioning coach with a background/ in functional movement to get you strong enough that your musculature can properly support your spine in the long term.

Stem cell and PRP treatments may also show promise in this area - I have not researched their effectiveness for back injuries

At the risk of being taken out back of the forum and beaten... If I could take this moment to point out that no form of chiropractic care has shown efficacy above placebo in a controlled trial for treating *any* condition, and comes with significant risks. Many chiropractors use their knowledge of anatomy and physiology to provide actual effective relief for their patients by doing things that aren't chiropractic (i.e. subluxation is completely bollocks on par with 'humors' and 'bad air'). I, personally, have difficulty trusting a "medical professional" whose primary discipline is fundamentally not based on evidence that it works, or a plausible mechanism of action (aka not actually based on medicine).

Brian Finch

Privateer Skier @ www.SkiWithaGrimRipper.com
Industry Insider
I loved reading this! I will definitely take it easy for a good bit longer but, I definitely want to ski this season!

Go into it with a plan. Know that bulges & ruptures often reabsorb. The MRI is one slice of time.

Back pain is normal in adult life; do the S & C work. Have a hot tub, beer, party ready for after the slopes & start with 1 run.

I'll post more later on why LBP is so sticky.

PTskier

Been goin' downhill for years....
Pass Pulled
My back spasms periodically, and for one episode the PT said, "In our state a PT isn't allowed to do manipulation, so I'm just going to push here and pull there..." Pop, things felt better immediately. A chiropractor who knows the limitations can do some good. Subluxation is a partial dislocation, and it can be relocated. I know nothing about breaking loose scar tissue.

Le, what will happen when you fall this winter? Or just when you chatter over frozen corduroy, or drop off an unexpected spot and hit with a thud? Or a snowboarder or skier straight lining down the hill runs into you? Will you be better off long-term with another year to heal and recondition yourself? In any case, this might not be the year to buy new skis.

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I agree with @Brian Finch, an MRI (ultra sound or X-ray) and doctors direction is best, everything else is treatment prescribed by said doctor.

@Magi chiropractors (no I’m not one) vary greatly and as such so do the results, same goes for osteopaths, massage therapists and physiology therapists (good ones actually request imaging results before treatment to ensure effectiveness and to prevent or cause further injury with wrong treatment).

You don’t want an Oh Oh :doh: moment.

In all seriousness the scare tissue is broken free in treatment (most cases body re-absorbs it once broken free), it can reoccur and may require to be done again. This treatment does work however it can lead to worse injury done poorly or great relief done done correctly. I need a back cracking maybe every 2 to 6 months just to keep it loose (luckily my wife and I know how to do it, taught by a friend therapist in the middle of a gym at a World Cup because I was locked up so bad, though we don’t do anyone else as it is that risky). If I don’t, I get pain that any amount of pain killers won’t relieve. I don’t use any pain killers for this because when pain (or stiffening even with stretching and warm up) starts, cracking it is.

I’ve had the neck done very reluctantly (extreme risk) about 7 years ago, however no repeat has been required and wish I had done it a lot earlier. I have almost free range of motion again.

One other note, pain killers, take them after to allow relief and healing, not before. Pain is there to warn you of damage, mask it by taking them before you can easily do more damage that just makes matters worse.

Good luck in finding the right course of action, just be careful.

Last edited:

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I had a herniated disc, L5, when I was 29 fixed with rest and PT. Had another flare up of same disc when I was 43. Again fixed with PT. I do stretches most days and am careful about how much weight I carry and how I carry it.

I missed 1 season of skiing the first time and was worried about how it would go. The day after first time I skied post disc herniation was the best my back had felt in over a year! I think it just stretched things out in a good way. I still skied hard and I still ski bumps. I am not a big air kind of guy though.

Fishbowl

A Parallel Universe
Skier
As always, injuries are highly individual and any advice given online is based off incomplete information. It is nice to get a variety of personal experiences and opinions, but also be prudent and confirm your plans with a bricks and mortar MD.

QmaartenQ

Booting up
Skier
This is very true IMHO. @Fishbowl ^^^^^^
From personal experience; I had a herniated L5 disc 10 years ago. Was very reluctant to operate and cancelled a schedualed surgery.
Than did lots and lots of PT, core strength training. Lost some weight, Never had any trouble again. Never had back pain either, my leg nerve got pressured and went limp though for a couple of days.
Nowadays I bike a lot, run 4 times a week a ski as often as I can. ;-)
This is just my story and say's nothing about your situation. Just saying there is hope.

Rod9301

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I have the same issue. For me, what works is getting a strong core.
I do about 300 crunches 5 days a week, make sure you bend mid body only, and shoulders only 6 inches off the floor.

Planks 3@1-1/2 minutes each.

Then leg strength, presses, curls.

You also need to learn how to bend by hinging at the hip instead of bending the lumbar spine.

Sponsor

Staff online