• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Smart/Fitness Watches - Reviews, Opinions, and Recommendations

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Additional off topic complaint: I wish we tiny people wouldn't have to make aesthetic or functional compromises on smart watches. I don't want to have to make peace with a comically huge watch. I don't want them to dumb down the features of the big watch when they give me a wearable sized one.

I understand that making small electronics is hard, but while I describe myself as a "tiny guy" I'm about the size of the average American woman. So... why are they okay with giving a full half of the population a subpar product?

Edit: before the obvious "well, the demand isn't there so why should they?" More than half of runners are women, so it should be their target audience.

[Bites tongue on rant and goes back to work.]

TS
Lauren

Lauren

AKA elemmac
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Additional off topic complaint: I wish we tiny people wouldn't have to make aesthetic or functional compromises on smart watches. I don't want to have to make peace with a comically huge watch. I don't want them to dumb down the features of the big watch when they give me a wearable sized one.

This x1000. I understand that you want the largest screen you can...especially when you have the function of showing maps on your device. But some of these devices are HUGE. Since I can't really go to the store to try on different watches, I'm trying innovative ways to figure out what size I can wear without it looking comical. Here's a 42mm circle on my wrist...I think this is pretty close to my limit.

IMG_1426.jpg

zircon

Out on the slopes
Skier
Could someone give me a short couple sentence Cliff Notes on what Wahoo is? I just went on their website and it looks like they specialize in sensors for your body/bike and bike computers...which would generally be more accurate than just a GPS or a wearable watch...but not exactly what I'm looking for? Also zircon, you mention being connected to your smart phone for Wahoo...definitely NOT something I want (I'm trying to ditch my phone on rides).

Wahoo, as far as I'm aware, doesn't make a watch yet anyway. They're more focused on the specific cycling tech market. They make GPS cycling computers, sensors, and smart trainers. (Garmin also does this, except for the trainers although they just bought Tacx). They're a new-ish company, their stuff looks beautiful, and they seem to have decent customer service. Came to prominence at a low point in Garmin's life and a lot of people jumped ship and there's a bit of a religious war about it. About the smart phone thing, they don't really have on the fly rerouting for their maps (this is changing with the top end, larger, Elemnt Roam) so the route you loaded is what you get, and if you want a different route you need to download it through the app. Which is fine for many many people, because it gives the option of making changes with a more intuitive (smartphone) interface and most people carry their phone everywhere anyway.

I'm a luddite who hates having to download apps to make things work fully—whatever it is should work on-board or be editable fully through a desktop interface—so there's my bias here.

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
No. And - revealing even more ignorance - I don't really get the name. Looked briefly for an "about" page with no luck. What's the "DC" part? District of Columbia? Direct Current? Dumb Consumers? :huh:

Not a gadgety guy, I guess.

EDIT: I found the about page. Link is at the bottom, and since I didn't make it the twenty miles down to the bottom of the review I didn't see it. :)
Did it explain the "DC?"

gwasson

Mid Atlantic banana belt dweller
Skier
Did it explain the "DC?"

Yeah, he was living in DC when he started the blog. Here is his whole story:

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I understand that making small electronics is hard, but while I describe myself as a "tiny guy" I'm about the size of the average American woman. So... why are they okay with giving a full half of the population a subpar product?

I am not sure I understand that. Apple Watch comes in two different sizes and the smaller one should be quite OK for any small person.
Garmin Fenix also comes in S size, which is quite a lot smaller than the X version.

zircon

Out on the slopes
Skier
I am not sure I understand that. Apple Watch comes in two different sizes and the smaller one should be quite OK for any small person.
Garmin Fenix also comes in S size, which is quite a lot smaller than the X version.
The current generation of Fenix 6S is fairly unique in not being underpowered. The Fenix 5S lacked features compared to the 5 and 5X. And it's Garmin's most expensive product. The lower tier multisport watches that get more sales volume don't come in a wearable size for small people—at 45mm, the FR 630 I posted a photo of is a tiny bit bigger than my wrist. I've made peace with it, but 42mm is also still quite large for a small wrist if you look at the photo elemmac posted.

Can't really speak to the Apple Watch, as I've never had one and have no intention of buying one, despite being an unrepentant Apple fanboy. Their battery life is lacking for @elemmac 's use case and iirc has no mapping functionality without carrying your phone.

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Yeah, he was living in DC when he started the blog. Here is his whole story:

Thanks! I may have read that at some point and forgotten it :huh:

TS
Lauren

Lauren

AKA elemmac
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Ermmm....Watch with cellular should be able to do that.

This is my understanding, that as long as you get the cellular version you can use a lot more mapping/tracking/app functions. But...I'm guessing this all relies on cell service being available. Whereas watches that have mapping built in will always be available. I'm not sure about downloadable functions on the Apple Watch (i.e. download a map prior to heading out). I'd be interested in hearing from anyone that has used this type of functionality on an Apple Watch.

The battery life is still a huge downside in my eyes (especially after knowing how fast my iPhone dies after having it for 2 years).

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'd be interested in hearing from anyone that has used this type of functionality on an Apple Watch.

The battery life is still a huge downside in my eyes (especially after knowing how fast my iPhone dies after having it for 2 years).

Cant help here I am afraid, I own a non-cellular version.
Battery life is the only downside indeed. It is like 2 days (3 if you use it very sparingly and 1 if you use it a lot) or so compared to about a week for the Fenix and I hear Samsung and Huawei offer similar battery life.
That's why I use Apple watch when I am sure I have access to electricity and Fenix on long outdoors trips when charging might or might not be an option.

TS
Lauren

Lauren

AKA elemmac
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
That's why I use Apple watch when I am sure I have access to electricity and Fenix on long outdoors trips when charging might or might not be an option.

This makes a lot of sense...and if I were going to a watch quiver, this is probably the duo I'd choose.

zircon

Out on the slopes
Skier
Ermmm....Watch with cellular should be able to do that.

Forgot cellular was a thing separately from a phone these days :doh: (get off my lawn!) but definitely not a thing you want to rely on if you're often in places without service (e.g., all of Vermont). Apple support seems to agree you can use mapping with cellular and without your phone, but not without cellular. Can't find any information on downloadable maps, though. My instinct is to guess it doesn't have enough internal memory to do that smoothly because routable map files are really big.

TS
Lauren

Lauren

AKA elemmac
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
After much research, internal debate and reading everyone's helpful comments here...I'm going to bite the bullet and spring for the Fenix 6S. Most of you here have confirmed what I've read elsewhere, that Garmin is durable, dependable and accurate (though some varying opinion does exist). It checks all of my boxes (and then some). I probably wouldn't splurge on the 6S if I was paying completely out-of-pocket, but since I have a gift card to soften the blow, I feel like I can treat myself a bit :).

Order placed for Amazon 2-day shipping, arrival next Friday...it's a weird world we live in right now.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
that Garmin is durable, dependable and accurate (though some varying opinion does exist).

And the display is real nice outdoors.
Make sure you calibrate the altitude from time to time and if you need accurate temperature readings, pair it with a Tempe sensor and if you need very accurate HR data, wear a chest strap. HR sensors on watches are not extremely accurate.

TS
Lauren

Lauren

AKA elemmac
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I received my watch, have taken it on one ride thus far. Love it.

Initial Reactions:

Aesthetically, I'm super happy with it. The only thing I'm a little sad about is my old, trusty Citizen watch will be getting significantly less use now.

IMG_1517.jpg

The GPS accuracy is AMAZING...coming from my iPhone 7, most devices probably would feel that way though. Previously when I was on a ride with someone else my GPS track would never hit theirs, and I generally recorded significantly less mileage. I was pretty much spot on yesterday.

User interface is pretty intuitive. There are a few things that I still need to figure out and configure to make it more intuitive for myself. But all of the menus seem pretty customizable.

I've ventured into tracking my MTB rides, but haven't hit upon hiking or using the topo maps yet. If the weather is nice this weekend or next week, I may work on figuring out the golf portion of the watch. Still a lot to explore with this one.

Living Proof

We All Have The Truth
Skier
I've been following this thread as considering buying a watch with the prime need of monitoring heart rate level during exercise periods. I have a minor heart issue where I appear to skip a beat, known as PVC (premature ventricle contraction) that sometimes shows up following heavy exercise. I've considering an Apple 5 that has apps that monitor heart rate history. One of my issues is that reading smart devices is an issue due to aging eyes that require reading glasses, distance vision is still fine.
Anybody have experience with Apple watches as heart rate monitors?

gwasson

Mid Atlantic banana belt dweller
Skier
I've been following this thread as considering buying a watch with the prime need of monitoring heart rate level during exercise periods. I have a minor heart issue where I appear to skip a beat, known as PVC (premature ventricle contraction) that sometimes shows up following heavy exercise. I've considering an Apple 5 that has apps that monitor heart rate history. One of my issues is that reading smart devices is an issue due to aging eyes that require reading glasses, distance vision is still fine.

I think the main thing with the Apple watch as a HRM for exercise, is accuracy. Any wrist worn monitor will be less accurate than a chest worn monitor. You have to make the Apple watch fairly snug to get decent accuracy. BTW, I have an Apple watch (series 3) and love it, but when I exercise, I use a Garmin chest strap HRM.

zircon

Out on the slopes
Skier

If you need accurate heart rate monitoring for a physiological issue, you need an electrode chest strap that connects to either your phone or a sports watch by bluetooth or ANT. There is no way around this, unfortunately. Optical heart rate is just not as good and not as precise by the nature of the device. Too many complicating factors.

Living Proof

We All Have The Truth
Skier
I think the main thing with the Apple watch as a HRM for exercise, is accuracy. Any wrist worn monitor will be less accurate than a chest worn monitor. You have to make the Apple watch fairly snug to get decent accuracy. BTW, I have an Apple watch (series 3) and love it, but when I exercise, I use a Garmin chest strap HRM.
I have an Polar HRM that uses a strap, it's great for periods of intense exercise like biking, also I can read it very well w/o reading glasses. Putting on extra gear is not always practical, therefore my interest in technology. My understanding is a Bluetooth strap can pair with Apple Watch, you've confirmed that, thanks. For the level of training I do, I don't think absolute accuracy is critical. Mostly, I need to know when to back off and recover a more sustainable HR, especially when in the gym doing intense Short term work. Given that my Gym is closed it's not a pressing need a right now, doubtful I would be comfortable returning to one in the foreseeable future. Tightening the watch strap during exercise periods seems a small trade off.

Sponsor

Staff online