• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Something different - Canna Companion for pets

Ziggy

Lead Dog
Admin
Recently, one of my bff doggie buddies was diagnosed with cancer and he's been in some pain. It kinda sucks when you and your friends are getting old. :(
My buddy's mom said that she's considering Canna Companion, which is a cannabis alternative for pain for dogs.
Has anyone experimented with this, or have any knowledge of it? My buddy Higz would like to know.

bbinder

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Oh No, not Higgins! What kind of cancer?
Anecdotally, oral forms may help, but I am not sure that dosages have been worked out. I have been told that because of federal laws, I can lose my DEA license for prescribing cannabinoids. Even 'OTC' formulations.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
This sounds similar to CBD oil but marketed for dogs. CBD oil is typically marketed to give you the physical benefits (for which I've heard basically every claim) without the high, because the THC has been significantly reduced in the plants.

I can tell you that I've tried CBD oil for like a month - it didn't do anything for me, but it didn't give me a high, either.

A friend of mine has a CBD oil company and is a big believer in using it for doggy aches and pains.

Searching CBD oil for dogs brings up lots of hits. Here's a fairly suspect rah-rah article (and that's my main problem with all of these things - lack of a balanced view) : http://www.dogsnaturallymagazine.com/cbd-oil-for-dogs/

WheatKing

Ice coast carveaholic
Skier
Not sure in dogs, but I do know about it for humans. I'm in Canada.. so no worries about your federal laws. I'm also not a Dr, or a Veterinarian.. so take my advice with a grain of salt.. and google.

Weed has 2 major components (and there are many many subcomponents of each of these).. THC and CDB.. THC gets you high and is an appetite enhancer.. CDB attaches to pain receptors and blocks the pain. In addition there are sativas and indicas.. one will make you sleepy.. the other maintains alertness.

Cancer patients generally are prescribed an indica with smaller amounts of THC (not the absense of) to keep a healthy appetite and large amounts of CDB to kill the pain.

Usually opoid based pain killers block appetite, which in turn doesn't help the healing process. Good food is our friend.

If it were my pet.. i'd definitely give it a try.. assuming it doesn't potentially land you in federal prison in your state..

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
In addition there are sativas and indicas.. one will make you sleepy.. the other maintains alertness.

Ehhh. Both of them put me to sleep, personally. Not that I've tried them. But if I had, that would definitely have been my experience. I hear.

I also heard something somewhere about how the impact of the two different "strains" hasn't been scientifically established. "It's just your opinion, man."

http://www.thecannifornian.com/cannabis-culture/sativa-vs-indica-really-difference/

When it comes to predicting the effects a strain will have on a person, the labels “sativa” and “indica” “are kind of irrelevant,” said Jeff Raber. Raber, who has a Ph.D. in chemistry, co-founded The Werc Shop, a Southern California-based analytical lab.

Whether a plant is sativa or indica “is not an indicator of physiological response,” Raber said.

If the labels “sativa” and “indica” aren’t reliable when talking about a strain’s effects, what does that mean for patients?

As it turns out, the impact could be profound — and patients could end up trying treatments that don’t work.

For example, Raber said, someone with insomnia could try using an indica — believing it would have a sedating effect — only to find that it keeps them up all night.

TS
Ziggy

Ziggy

Lead Dog
Admin
Oh No, not Higgins! What kind of cancer?
From Higgins' mom:
Higz had an ultrasound and they found lymphoma in the nodes in his abdomen.
Because he's 91 in dog years, they've put him on prednisone for his discomfort but don't want to put him through more invasive treatment.

TS
Ziggy

Ziggy

Lead Dog
Admin
This sounds similar to CBD oil but marketed for dogs. CBD oil is typically marketed to give you the physical benefits (for which I've heard basically every claim) without the high, because the THC has been significantly reduced in the plants.
The oil is available in the link I shared. Thanks for the info.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Hugs to Higgins. I've met that guy! I bet a lot of us have.

bbinder

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
From Higgins' mom:
Higz had an ultrasound and they found lymphoma in the nodes in his abdomen.
Because he's 91 in dog years, they've put him on prednisone for his discomfort but don't want to put him through more invasive treatment.
As usual, I am available if they have questions. Lymphoma in the intestinal nodes is a little unusual in the absence of disease in the intestines. Generally with lymphoma in dogs, the initial presentation is with enlargement in the peripheral lymph nodes (i.e not the abdomen). IBD will often have enlarged intestinal nodes and may respond well to prednisone. If his liver and/or spleen are involved, then it is a whole different story... Either way, the prednisone is anti-inflammatory and may give all the pain relief he needs at this point.

Sponsor

Staff online