• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Colorado Steamboat Advice

pipestem

Out on the slopes
Skier
Thats the kind of info i was looking for. Where did you stay?
We were cheapos - we stayed at the Holiday Inn 3 nights which was a really good package and we skied the days in and out. Steamboat has a huge shuttle stop right outside the main ski base (available by escalator) and we could see all the vans coming and going. I'd just look for it or ask about any given candidates.

Even though there was a shuttle on demand - we drove everywhere else - groceries, gear, drug stores, and downtown - even back to the mountain for one restaurant. We flew into Denver and drove the rental car all week. Great scenery on the way up and back. It was easy peasy.

Last edited:

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
We have liked Trappeur's Crossing and stayed there a few times. It isn't ski in or out but has a super convenient shuttle bus to the base.

We have had very good luck booking with Simply Steamboat
The Trappers Crossings and Bear something or other are part of a multi condo complex. The shuttle bus ran constantly and was super easy. No waiting to speak of and drop off was easy. Honestly easier than the ski out condos.

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Steamboat is tentatively scheduled to close April 9, 2023 but I wouldn’t rely on good coverage past mid-March until we know more about the winter’s snowfall.

That said, the bus has stops near all major condo areas plus throughout downtown. https://www.steamboatsprings.net/166/Transit

also, given @Ron appears busy, there's his review that has lots of info:

I would say, with a group of 10, the resorts booking may be an "easy" way to plan if your group does classes, outings, etc. the Central Reservations often has good discounts on prices when all booked through them.

I'd check the calendar too, the 1st week in March is a much better bet as the 2nd and 3rd weeks are popular Spring Break times.

Winterwondergrass is this week, so it's possible things book out pretty early:

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Does Steamboat still have paper maps available?
Steamboat says yes .. in their ticket office.

If like other years, you can find these up at the Gondi top .. till they run out. these traditionally were the bigger ones that open up to around 20 x 30 inches.

I loved their ~8x11 grooming reports as they were super handy .. small, no need for phone, etc. but told they're environmentally not friendly. I'd pay my 50 cents for a print though ; )

They have an app too one can download to your phone, or save a PDF of their on line map for ref.

Tiki

The Pirate’s Daughter
Skier
From Ron’s Unofficial Guide. Are these starting from base suggestions still awesome?

Access to the mid mountain is via the "Gondi" at the base, however on crowded days, take the "Christie 6-Pack" to the top, ski off the front to "Jess's Cutoff", to "Yoo-Hoo" and over to the "Thunderhead Quad" to the mid mountain Thunderhead Lodge. From here, you have access to anywhere on the mountain. For most skiers, there is no need to go any lower than mid-mountain.

Tiki

The Pirate’s Daughter
Skier
Steamboat says yes .. in their ticket office.

If like other years, you can find these up at the Gondi top .. till they run out. these traditionally were the bigger ones that open up to around 20 x 30 inches.

I loved their ~8x11 grooming reports as they were super handy .. small, no need for phone, etc. but told they're environmentally not friendly. I'd pay my 50 cents for a print though ; )

They have an app too one can download to your phone, or save a PDF of their on line map for ref.

Thank you! I have downloaded the app. I’m still pro paper for planing purposes too. First time visitor to Steamboat with only 3 ski days to learn best areas and runs to start the day.

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Thank you! I have downloaded the app. I’m still pro paper for planing purposes too. First time visitor to Steamboat with only 3 ski days to learn best areas and runs to start the day.
I'm out there in Feb

I guess, I'll say February 10th-ish to 18th-ish

I agree on maps, I like em and maybe just print a daily groomer daily if your condo offers a printer in room or at the check in location, or print a couple before leaving but recall it's not "grooming" accurate for that day.

Steamboat has large sign maps at the top of all the lifts if I recall, all have the "you are here" designator.

Ron's guide is concise but encompassing. His break down of the ski areas are a great breakdown of the mountains main areas for looping runs, but with planning you can move about certain areas pretty consistently and/or add some loops to add a bit of time before heading down or out to other areas.

Much depends on what you like to ski as typical and skill level. I'm somewhat reserved but I will try a more difficult run knowing I can weenie out and add a lot of turns or even slide slip if I really make a poor choice.

Typically I'll only step it up on a newer "harder" run if it were groomed for peace of mind and more readily if given a comparison to another run I've done. Once done most stuff is not as terrifying to me on subsequent runs.

For me, Steamboat is accurate with their hill ratings being consistent especially in groomed condition, a blue is a blue, green is green (though green cat-tracks are cat-tracks), etc. I don't recall hitting a run that was under-rated for difficulty.

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
From Ron’s Unofficial Guide. Are these starting from base suggestions still awesome?

Access to the mid mountain is via the "Gondi" at the base, however on crowded days, take the "Christie 6-Pack" to the top, ski off the front to "Jess's Cutoff", to "Yoo-Hoo" and over to the "Thunderhead Quad" to the mid mountain Thunderhead Lodge. From here, you have access to anywhere on the mountain. For most skiers, there is no need to go any lower than mid-mountain.
I would choose the Gondi most the time unless the Gondola is really really backed up, it moves very quickly especially since upgrade from their 6 person Gondi to 8 person Gondi. Trip time has shorted a bit too.

However, riding the Christi up, skiing to the Thunderhead is still a nice ride and fine way to warm up. Doing the Christi/Thunderhead will likely double the clock time but I will say I still do it at times just for the fun.

Tiki

The Pirate’s Daughter
Skier
@pete thanks for the insight. We’re looking forward to the iconic blues and beautiful tree skiing because we’ve heard so much about them. Not into steeps and chutes. Appreciate the ability to get out if it gets too dicey. It’ll be our first time skiing this season so it’s a mellow trip to have fun, check equipment, be a tourist, maybe get boot work done. Looking for a good boot fitter if you know one. We’re staying at the base because well, we’re tourists and I won’t see my regular fitter in MT for a couple weeks after this visit.

Jwrags

Aka pwdrhnd
Skier
@Tiki, when are you going to Steamboat? I’m not a local like @Ron but he is on the DL and not frequenting the site. I have skied there off and on for 40 years. PM me if you have any questions about where to ski advice.

@pete, I’m planning to be in Steamboat starting February 11 for 4-5 days. Might be fun to meet up for some turns.

Joby Graham

Getting off the lift
Skier
@pete thanks for the insight. We’re looking forward to the iconic blues and beautiful tree skiing because we’ve heard so much about them. Not into steeps and chutes. Appreciate the ability to get out if it gets too dicey. It’ll be our first time skiing this season so it’s a mellow trip to have fun, check equipment, be a tourist, maybe get boot work done. Looking for a good boot fitter if you know one. We’re staying at the base because well, we’re tourists and I won’t see my regular fitter in MT for a couple weeks after this visit.
Steamboat Ski and Bike Kare in town. Right on the free bus route and excellent boot fitters.
One Stop (also in town) had an amazing fitter named John Kole, but not sure he is still there.

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Here's something fun if you like tubing a hill.

We loved it when they did it on Preview years ago, Howelsen was however super fun but they killed it off 3 or 4 yrs back.

Glad it's back. If I recall we also had Hot Chocolate at the shop at the base. regardless, fun to do in the evening if you have the time

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
On an other note, I'm not sure if one can ride the new Wild Blue Gondola in lieu of the Christie to get to the Thunderhead, but believe one can, that would open another simple route up if the regular Gondi lines are long.

Tiki

The Pirate’s Daughter
Skier
@Tiki, when are you going to Steamboat? I’m not a local like @Ron but he is on the DL and not frequenting the site. I have skied there off and on for 40 years. PM me if you have any questions about where to ski advice.

@pete, I’m planning to be in Steamboat starting February 11 for 4-5 days. Might be fun to meet up for some turns.
I’m in SS first couple days of February.

I was able to get the trail map mailed to me. If I want to start my day off the Sundown Express lift line, is the only direct route from the base (Sheraton) taking the gondola?

If I take Christy Peak Express up, can I get to Sundown Express or am I forced to ski to Burgess Creek lift? The map doesn’t show top of Christy to Sundown that well.

Tiki

The Pirate’s Daughter
Skier
On an other note, I'm not sure if one can ride the new Wild Blue Gondola in lieu of the Christie to get to the Thunderhead, but believe one can, that would open another simple route up if the regular Gondi lines are long.

I had the same question looking at the map. It is not clear.

tch

What do I know; I'm just some guy on the internet.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
My (pretty good) memory is that Christie Peak lift doesn’t go high enough to access Sundown. Got to get to top of gondola ( gondola or Thunderhead lifts) to get across/down to Sundown.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I was able to get the trail map mailed to me. If I want to start my day off the Sundown Express lift line, is the only direct route from the base (Sheraton) taking the gondola?

If I take Christy Peak Express up, can I get to Sundown Express or am I forced to ski to Burgess Creek lift? The map doesn’t show top of Christy to Sundown that well.
The trail map is kind of difficult to decipher... but to get to Sundown, you can take Christie Peak, ski down to Thunderhead and take that, then ski down to Sundown.

Sponsor

Staff online