• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Stockli laser SC vs Volkl RaceTiger SC Black

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I attended a level 2 training clinic last night and after speaking to the trainer I have decided onVolkl RaceTiger SL in 160. I can order a pair with race bindings through PSIA snowpros for $800.

Thank you all for the information you provided. I greatly appreciate it.
Yes, the best advice on skis for an exam is from the trainers themselves.

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Moguls were never mentioned.

What was mentioned was:

P.S. On a second thought tho, perhaps if the OP will have to spend lots of time with kids, going slowly WRT might be a bit too stiff, so maybe he should consider what @Tony S suggested-some friendlier SL ski.
No, but Level 2 exam was, which includes moguls.
And the participants need to ski them slowly and in control.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
No, but Level 2 exam was, which includes moguls.
And the participants need to ski them slowly and in control.

Yes. And he will also have to work with kids and move slow, that’s why I changed my mind and he made a better choice already.

Roundturns

Getting off the lift
Skier
Ah, this is excellent news. Does my heart good to know that others have moved on from AX's! I love the AX but I am at the point where I can tell when I a smaller radius would be very beneficial. What are you thoughts on the WRT for the mogul part of the level 2 exam?
My $.02 coming from a hack, but I believe groomed snow carving and moguls reside in different “ zip codes”. That’s not to say you can’t ski bumps well on carving skis. But in bumps likely a ski that can drift better, pivot easier, and bend easier will be easier to navigate in moguls.
I associate a lot of rotary is involved in skiing bumps which is the exact opposite of what you’re doing skiing on groomed terrain well.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
My $.02 coming from a hack, but I believe groomed snow carving and moguls reside in different “ zip codes”. That’s not to say you can’t ski bumps well on carving skis. But in bumps likely a ski that can drift better, pivot easier, and bend easier will be easier to navigate in moguls.
I associate a lot of rotary is involved in skiing bumps which is the exact opposite of what you’re doing skiing on groomed terrain well.
Yup

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
I'm not sure about the term "rotary", as it has many uses, but for sure the skis will be pivoting more (whether by applied torque at the boot or via engaging the front edges and slipping back edges), and there will need to be much more sideways skiing - the ski edge moving in directions that are not parallel to the edge.
I normally am a big fan of 0.5 degree base angle and 3 degree side angle, but I left my old P50s at 1 degree base 2 side because that works better in moguls. I suck at moguls, but I suck at a higher level with a softer ski that has a less aggressive tune.

If you need the same ski for carving and moguls, I would probably go with 1 base, 3 side, also a softer flexing ski works better in moguls. Hence SC, not FIS SL or SX.

Magikarp

Putting on skis
Skier
Hey new board mermber here. A little background, I am a level 1 Ski Instructor (5'8, 170lbs) in PA and am working on improving my technical skiing, sticking to piste/groomed eastern US hills. I still have some flaws but practicing as much as possible to get better. Currently skiiing on Stockli Laser AX 168 and really feel that these skis have helped me. I am going to be taking my Level 2 exam next year and want to spend the remainder of 2023 ski season getting into a more race-oriented ski. Being that I love my AX, I am toying with the Laser SC or the Volkl RaceTigers in a shorter length, probably 156ish. Are these a good jump or should I take the entire leap and go to a WRT or RaceTiger SL? I'm sure I left some important info out but hopefully this is a good start.

Thanks---Eric
I'm almost the same height and weight as you and the shortest length I would consider on a Laser SC or similar is 160. I looked at the Stockli specs and if it were me I would get a 163 or 170. Their website also seems to agree with me.

https://www.stoeckli.ch/usen/recommendation-ski-size

You're already balancing on a narrow ski edge to edge, if you go too short tip to tail the balance point becomes even smaller. As you would know, proper fore-aft and edge-edge balance is how you show "performance" on your skis, which is what the higher level exams seem to ask for.

Csr_jr

Booting up
Skier
I'm not sure about the term "rotary", as it has many uses, but for sure the skis will be pivoting more (whether by applied torque at the boot or via engaging the front edges and slipping back edges), and there will need to be much more sideways skiing - the ski edge moving in directions that are not parallel to the edge.
I normally am a big fan of 0.5 degree base angle and 3 degree side angle, but I left my old P50s at 1 degree base 2 side because that works better in moguls. I suck at moguls, but I suck at a higher level with a softer ski that has a less aggressive tune.

If you need the same ski for carving and moguls, I would probably go with 1 base, 3 side, also a softer flexing ski works better in moguls. Hence SC, not FIS SL or SX.
"I suck at moguls, but I suck at a higher level with a softer ski that has a less aggressive tune."

... this is killing me lol...

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
"I suck at moguls, but I suck at a higher level with a softer ski that has a less aggressive tune."

... this is killing me lol...
If you find that funny, this should crack you up: I used to ski moguls (and everything else) at high speeds on 208 cm Super-G Skis tuned razor sharp tip to tail with 0.5 degree base. Yeah, the SCs are better for that. So is slowing down a bit.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
It's true. I usually hang out over in racing, with the cool kids

Did you say cool or clueless?

If you have issues with bumps. I suggest you go and talk to Josh.

motogreg

A liftie once told me I was an okay skier....
Skier
I'm a nobody, but if I were taking a test I wanted to pass, I would do it on a ski I was 100% familiar with rather than something new and potentially more demanding. :huh:

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Dunno about that really. The only 2 cases in which I was complimented on my skis, by women/girls at that was both on Faction twintips. Which pissed me off mightily, not gonna lie.

If you think you are cool. You are definitely not.

Sponsor

Staff online