• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Stuff heard at a ski shop's service desk....

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
We had a couple come in wearing TT helmets and geared up like Lance...a lot of very expensive gear..unfortunately they were wearing their TT helmets like baseball caps...with the bill out front.. I didn't have the heart to tell them... I wish we had cellphones in those days.. So picture below but with the helmet 180 degrees... FWIW, many people wear their helmet backwards for whatever reason...

1640873740709.png

scott43

Skier
We had someone come in with duct tape around the tire and rim..and he says "I fixed it myself..but it started leaking again.."

Many people use a gear clamp, duct tape, or a combination of both to replace their seat post clamp because they lost the bolt....

A lot of people try to change their inner tube without removing the wheel..not sure how they figure that would work out...

I installed racks and bags for someone going on a cycling trip..they came by the shop with 200lbs of bricks in the bags and were congratulating me on how great the racks were. She then rode home, lost control because the bricks were too heavy and she couldn't turn normally and went off an embankment and down into a gully. She couldn't push the bike back up so had to unload the bricks and leave them there. They're still there last I checked..that was a long time ago!

scott43

Skier
Another weird thing is the group of population that INSISTS they get the biggest of everything. Guy could be 5'7" but he wants the biggest bike we have, you know, for someone who is 6'6". I just don't get it. Not the most expensive, not the fastest, not the strongest..the BIGGEST.

I once had a customer come in whose bike had been stolen..he had a hatchet with him and let me know what it was for...and to make sure I told him if I saw his bicycle.... That was a little disturbing..

We had a customer whose bike was stolen..he was a former Golden Gloves contender...he got a new bike and one day while out jogging he saw a guy riding his bike and proceeded to knock him out with one punch. He took his bike back and came by the shop. He says , now I have two bikes..what do I do now? Do I give back the insurance money? I said, good luck with that...

bbinder

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Has any ski brand or shop offered custom colors/paint/wraps for skis so that they match boots?
Well, we once bought a pair of skis for our daughter and she was really disappointed that they didn't match her ski outfit. So we bought a patterned, colored, vinyl tape to go onto the topsheets of the skis so that they would match and therefore make her happy. But she was 7 years old at the time.

bbinder

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Overheard at a ski shop at the base of Alta: A well dressed guy who seemed to actually be a skier looking to demo a pair of skis. The ski shop employee asking the guy where he likes to ski, how he skis, and how today's conditions might have an effect on a recommendation. The guy interrupts and says firmly "Just give me the BEST skis that you have".

bbinder

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I was at a shop a couple of years ago with my daughter who was doing serious shopping. The shop wasn't busy and I was talking with the boot fitters. To be fair, I said that I was happy with my current boots (Dobermann 130), and I was not looking to make a purchase that day. But I also said that my current boots were old and I would probably be looking to purchase new boots within a year. One boot fitter offered to bring out some boots for me to try on so I could have a sense of what was "out there" in the boot world. No foot measurement, no foot assessment, no shell fit - he just brought out a few boots in the same size as my current boots (26.5). All of the boots felt too roomy (including, curiously enough the new iteration of the Dobermann) and I told him so. I asked about maybe downsizing to 25.5 - his immediate response was that this was doable but would probably be difficult and that I would spend the better part of a season making room in the smaller shell for my feet. They had 25.5s in stock, but didn't bother bringing any out.

My new boots are 25.5. I had to sand a spot by my styloid process on each foot, otherwise a perfect fit.

motogreg

A liftie once told me I was an okay skier....
Skier
I have posted this in the past but might be worth repeating: Whoever was the Marketing Maven that came up with "The customer is always right", never worked in a ski shop. :duck:
THIS 100%. Applies to all retail, everywhere. I say the customer is almost always WRONG, otherwise they wouldn't need retail and would just do it themselves. A good retailer makes the customer feel like they were right by the time they leave.

Ya know, it's the same, really, as the "contempt" thread. Can't live with 'em, can't shoot 'em. Def. a love/hate relationship going on.

scott43

Skier
Why were they taking 200 lbs of bricks on a bike trip? Trail building? Stream fording? :huh:
They were testing out the rig, make sure it would handle the trip. Bike tours were a big thing then. Racks? Check! Bike? Questionable.. Rider skills?? Negative!

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I would love to come up with a "pat answer to the following questions" sheet to hand out to customers or even post on the wall...

Starting with, but not limited to....
  • What is the best ski?
  • I am looking for an "All mountain ski", what do you recommend?
  • What is the most comfortable boot?
  • What is the safest binding?
  • I waxed my skis last year, do I need to do it again?
  • I just bought them 7 years ago...(when it over 5-7 years ago, I immediately add 50% in years)

bbinder

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
My younger daughter bought a pair of boots a few years ago. She was downsized from her previous boots: her feet were swimming in the old boots and a shell fit supported the downsize. She bought new foot beds at the same time. The shop is near a ski mountain so we went out to try them out. Within two runs she was crying in pain: the bottoms of her feet were completely numb and the rest of her feet felt like blocks of ice. We went back to the shop and mentioned this to the boot fitter. He said, well you'll just have to ski with numb feet. Another fitter overhead the conversation and echoed with yeah, it will take 15-20 days before the boots aren't painful anymore. Maybe they were joking, but at the time it did not sound too funny. Some adjustments were made to the boots and she was back 2 more times to the same shop with little progress made. Each time, the people at the shop acted as if my daughter was the problem and the boots were fine. Again, maybe they were joking but as Tricia mentioned earlier: you gotta read the room.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I would love to come up with a "pat answer to the following questions" sheet to hand out to customers or even post on the wall...

Starting with, but not limited to....
  • What is the best ski?
  • I just bought them 7 years ago...(when it over 5-7 years ago, I immediately add 50% in years)

• What is the best ski?
    • The one I own, of course
    • Get one with pictures of goats... they go all over the mountain
    • Timberland, or maybe Merrell
    • Probably a regular book binding, anything other than 3-ring or stapled really
    • Nah. They'll look fine propped outside the bar waxed or not.
    • Sir/Ma'am, the 1990's were more than 7 years ago...

Muleski

Inactive
About 10 years ago, we {for some unknown reason} decided to spend Christmas week in Vail and Aspen, where our kids lived and worked. It was impossible for them to get more than a few days off, and fly East. So we, despite their saying “DON’T!” went to see them and visit more family.

Our son was begged to help out in the backroom of one of the big shops, mounting and prepping skis. He’s a coach. Knows what he is doing and money always “works.” We had plans to meet up, at the shop. He asks us to give him 15 minutes. So, we hang out.

And we see three generations of a South American family, being attended to by 2-3 sales people, buying very high end everything. I think the youngest grandchild was about 6. About 12-14 people.

Think about the very best, most “high end” base layers and socks, then work on out. Mid layers, a lot of Kjus, Arcteryx. Spyder for the little kids, Bogner for the ladies. Everybody got a helmet, hats, everybody got high end goggles. They bought A LOT of Hestra and Reusch mitts and gloves. Patagonia neck ups. Dermatone. You name it.

So our son takes more like a half hour to wrap up. Turns out that he was installing boot heaters in the new boots that Grandma bought for all. 12-14 pairs.

As we left, Grandma thanked him, very genuinelyfor his help, and tipped him a crisp $100 bill. Which she did to everybody who “helped.”

Our son said that his buddies on the benches were mounting a new pair of Kastles, which were the rage then, for every one of them. Doing very quick “tunes”. Two days later our son told us that one of his friends said Grandma spent a bit more than $50K with her black card.

The line that was most interesting was: “This year, we will fly home with MOST of this, as we have a newer, bigger, plane. Last year we left it here to be donated to those who need it…”

The large whales spend. Gross as it is, very good for business. And nobody was arguing on choices. Yep, they all Need Kastle and LEKI. Must have. I DO think they listened about boots. Maybe.

Very interesting to observe. Crazy.

BLiP

Out on the slopes
Skier
We had a customer who objected to a five dollar extra charge because of a serious issue he failed to disclose when he brought his bike in. My boss threw his bike into traffic.

Another customer didn't want to pay $10 instead of $7 for his wheel true. It had a few issues and was a problem. So my boss smashed his wheel against the ground flat spotting it nicely and said "back to original condition. Have a nice day.."
I'm sure this is exaggerated for dramatic effect, but if a shop owner/employee threw my bike into traffic and/or smashed my wheel I would: 1) call the police; 2) call my lawyer.

Also, no one likes unannounced upcharges; even reasonable people think they are getting screwed. If there is serious problem that requires an upcharge, contact the customer before proceeding. If they don't want to pay the extra fee, don't do the work.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
About 10 years ago, we {for some unknown reason} decided to spend Christmas week in Vail and Aspen, where our kids lived and worked. It was impossible for them to get more than a few days off, and fly East. So we, despite their saying “DON’T!” went to see them and visit more family.

Our son was begged to help out in the backroom of one of the big shops, mounting and prepping skis. He’s a coach. Knows what he is doing and money always “works.” We had plans to meet up, at the shop. He asks us to give him 15 minutes. So, we hang out.

And we see three generations of a South American family, being attended to by 2-3 sales people, buying very high end everything. I think the youngest grandchild was about 6. About 12-14 people.

Think about the very best, most “high end” base layers and socks, then work on out. Mid layers, a lot of Kjus, Arcteryx. Spyder for the little kids, Bogner for the ladies. Everybody got a helmet, hats, everybody got high end goggles. They bought A LOT of Hestra and Reusch mitts and gloves. Patagonia neck ups. Dermatone. You name it.

So our son takes more like a half hour to wrap up. Turns out that he was installing boot heaters in the new boots that Grandma bought for all. 12-14 pairs.

As we left, Grandma thanked him, very genuinelyfor his help, and tipped him a crisp $100 bill. Which she did to everybody who “helped.”

Our son said that his buddies on the benches were mounting a new pair of Kastles, which were the rage then, for every one of them. Doing very quick “tunes”. Two days later our son told us that one of his friends said Grandma spent a bit more than $50K with her black card.

The line that was most interesting was: “This year, we will fly home with MOST of this, as we have a newer, bigger, plane. Last year we left it here to be donated to those who need it…”

The large whales spend. Gross as it is, very good for business. And nobody was arguing on choices. Yep, they all Need Kastle and LEKI. Must have. I DO think they listened about boots. Maybe.

Very interesting to observe. Crazy.
We saw this happen at Northstar.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
. The ski shop employee asking the guy where he likes to ski, how he skis, and how today's conditions might have an effect on a recommendation. The guy interrupts and says firmly "Just give me the BEST skis that you have".

Know where I overhear that specific convo several times every holiday season? Wine shops. :roflmao:

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Also, no one likes unannounced upcharges; even reasonable people think they are getting screwed. If there is serious problem that requires an upcharge, contact the customer before proceeding. If they don't want to pay the extra fee, don't do the work.

Yep. Contact the customer with the problem, let them know it's serious, then, if you do fix it, contact them again to make them feel good.

Paramount point here? Discover the expensive problem fast.

pchewn

Skiing the powder
Skier
"I am a 3+" as they fill out the paperwork for their 160cm rental skis while trying on their 28.5 rental boots.

When I worked behind the rental counter, that was my FAVORITE. :roflmao:

I ski on 160cm rentals & 28.5 boots, therefore I must be a 3+. :huh:

In all fairness, there is no reason a newish skier cannot be a 3+ even without much skill. The "Skier Type" is not a skill rating. It is a rating of how aggressively you ski -- with or without skill.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
My younger daughter bought a pair of boots a few years ago. She was downsized from her previous boots: her feet were swimming in the old boots and a shell fit supported the downsize. She bought new foot beds at the same time. The shop is near a ski mountain so we went out to try them out. Within two runs she was crying in pain: the bottoms of her feet were completely numb and the rest of her feet felt like blocks of ice. We went back to the shop and mentioned this to the boot fitter. He said, well you'll just have to ski with numb feet. Another fitter overhead the conversation and echoed with yeah, it will take 15-20 days before the boots aren't painful anymore. Maybe they were joking, but at the time it did not sound too funny. Some adjustments were made to the boots and she was back 2 more times to the same shop with little progress made. Each time, the people at the shop acted as if my daughter was the problem and the boots were fine. Again, maybe they were joking but as Tricia mentioned earlier: you gotta read the room.
I remember that. And I remember working with her at Snowbasin to help get things working for her.
I also know that you have to know more about the customer than the size of the boot. IIRC she is diabetic so her feet and a "proper" fit is more than just "get used to skiing with numb feet".
Its a life altering thing in her case.

Sponsor