• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Stuff heard at a ski shop's service desk....

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I remember that. And I remember working with her at Snowbasin to help get things working for her.
I also know that you have to know more about the customer than the size of the boot. IIRC she is diabetic so her feet and a "proper" fit is more than just "get used to skiing with numb feet".
Its a life altering thing in her case.
One of the reasons my husband doesn’t like to alpine ski. He hates the boots. He’s type 2 diabetic, and although it’s managed very well and he’s otherwise healthy, ski boots kill his feet. Skate ski boots and classic XC boots? He’s fine.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
How often does Karen want to speak to the manager because these boots the sales person told me to get feel too tight???

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
And I thought my grandma was rich when I was 13..

Wendy

Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
One of my most memorable and frustrating shop experiences was the large family with 8 kids who came in to get consignment skis and boots. These were kids ranging from 4-12. The mom was like “So-and-so is going to take so-and-so’s skis, and so-and-so needs new ones, and so-and-so might be able to use so-and-so’s skis, can you check to make sure? And on down the line. Then, the boots. It was like I needed to diagram the whole process to get things straight.

I’m not criticizing their desire to get secondhand gear, I totally get it and admire the family for being frugal while making sure their kids were properly outfitted. However, it was one of the most stressful days I had, making sure I was matching each kid with the correct skis and boots as best as I could. The binding mount forms were a nightmare; I did mix a few of those up, luckily I caught it before any work was done. :rolleyes:

It was that day I realized I really didn’t enjoy working in a ski shop. At least that one.

The kicker though, was I discovered Mom was skiing on a kid’s ski….she was maybe 5’5” and 130lb and was skiing a kid’s 120-ish length ski with a junior binding. I couldn’t convince her to get new (or “new“consignment) skis. I was surprised the shop owner (and tech) would work on her bindings.

Wendy

Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
How often does Karen want to speak to the manager because these boots the sales person told me to get feel too tight???
That’s on the bootfitter to properly communicate to the skier how the boots should feel. That doesn’t excuse a fitter who dismisses complaints of pain or discomfort.

slowrider

Trencher
Skier
In all fairness, there is no reason a newish skier cannot be a 3+ even without much skill. The "Skier Type" is not a skill rating. It is a rating of how aggressively you ski -- with or without skill.
Spoken like a true Instructor. :ogbiggrin:

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
I'm sure this is exaggerated for dramatic effect, but if a shop owner/employee threw my bike into traffic and/or smashed my wheel I would: 1) call the police; 2) call my lawyer.

Also, no one likes unannounced upcharges; even reasonable people think they are getting screwed. If there is serious problem that requires an upcharge, contact the customer before proceeding. If they don't want to pay the extra fee, don't do the work.
No exaggeration. The bike didn't get run over but it sure was funny.. Sure call the cops or whatever. They'd put all their CSI power on that incident for sure. :roflmao:

newfydog

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I've had ski shop employees make quick judgements about me based upon my appearance. Once I was treated like a moron, but then realized why---I had a friend call me up from Texas to recruit me as their ringer in a race for Texan Ski Week. I later went shopping for skis still wearing a big "Texan Ski Week" pin. Another time they all deferred to my expertise like some sort of deity---I was wearing a vest a friend gave me, "US Ski Team, Nagano Olympics".

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
That’s on the bootfitter to properly communicate to the skier how the boots should feel. That doesn’t excuse a fitter who dismisses complaints of pain or discomfort.
So the boot fitter should sell her boots that are too big if the ones they recommended really do fit like brand new boots should.. a little tight at first..?? And tried to communicate that to them... but they still want to talk to the manager? I bet that happens a lot..

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
No exaggeration. The bike didn't get run over but it sure was funny.. Sure call the cops or whatever. They'd put all their CSI power on that incident for sure. :roflmao:

I am sure the shop owner handed the bike gently over to the bike owner. However, the bike owner did not exercised a firm grip on the bike while talking to the shop owner regarding the charges and the bike rolled into traffic.

Yeah, that's exactly what happened. :ogcool:

scott43

Skier
I've had ski shop employees make quick judgements about me based upon my appearance. Once I was treated like a moron, but then realized why---I had a friend call me up from Texas to recruit me as their ringer in a race for Texan Ski Week. I later went shopping for skis still wearing a big "Texan Ski Week" pin. Another time they all deferred to my expertise like some sort of deity---I was wearing a vest a friend gave me, "US Ski Team, Nagano Olympics".
Never judge a book by its cover for sure. You never know who is in front of you. Pays to listen and observe.

scott43

Skier
I am sure the shop owner handed the bike gently over to the bike owner. However, the bike owner did not exercised a firm grip on the bike while talking to the shop owner regarding the charges and the bike rolled into traffic.

Yeah, that's exactly what happened. :ogcool:
I mean, he certainly had a temper. He was just acting out doing a thing that we all think about doing but never would. He lacked that filter at times! :ogbiggrin: the purple mist....

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Just Skiing Along

Wendy

Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
So the boot fitter should sell her boots that are too big if the ones they recommended really do fit like brand new boots should.. a little tight at first..?? And tried to communicate that to them... but they still want to talk to the manager? I bet that happens a lot..
NO, not at all. The fitter needs to communicate how the new boots should feel. “Firm handshake” or something like that. And discuss that they will pack out and that there may be hot spots at first.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I mean, he certainly had a temper. He was just acting out doing a thing that we all think about doing but never would. He lacked that filter at times! :ogbiggrin: the purple mist....

I fully comprehend. Get that way sometimes.*

*Correction: All the time. :ogbiggrin:

Wendy

Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
What, your floppy ears and furry countenance? :roflmao:

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
One of the reasons my husband doesn’t like to alpine ski. He hates the boots. He’s type 2 diabetic, and although it’s managed very well and he’s otherwise healthy, ski boots kill his feet. Skate ski boots and classic XC boots? He’s fine.
You and I know that ski boots don't have to hurt and that someone with diabetes can be fit well and warm. But people who've had bad experiences are rarely talked into trying it again.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Never judge a book by its cover for sure. You never know who is in front of you. Pays to listen and observe.
I had a part time sales person tell me a great story about working on a car lot.. Saturday morning early. Group of 3 very poor looking teens on the lot looking at a Trans Am Indy Pace Car. All of the other sales folks were just sitting there sipping their coffee ignoring the poor looking kids. Buddy says "what the hell" and goes and starts talking to them. One asks if they can go for a test drive.. "Sure. why not?" They cram in to the car, and friend was a bid dude, two teens in the tiny back seat. One kid driving. The take a lap around the block and the kid driving hands my friend a business card and says this man will pay for the car. It was a radio station program manager's card. The kid won a contest and the deal was legit. Dealership manager used that example for the periodic "never prejudge a customer" speech..

bbinder

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I remember that. And I remember working with her at Snowbasin to help get things working for her.
I also know that you have to know more about the customer than the size of the boot. IIRC she is diabetic so her feet and a "proper" fit is more than just "get used to skiing with numb feet".
Its a life altering thing in her case.
Yes. She always mentions her diabetes in these kinds of situations (and avoids mentioning it otherwise). You did help her with something critical in the way her ankle felt in the boot.

Sponsor

Staff online