• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Summer skiing for the "nuts" like me : Portillo or New Zealand?

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Hello .Thank you all for the insights and info! Seems like Portillo can be good if they get snow? Website looks like they want you to book early.
Maybe NZ might be better bet when it comes to snow?
Check out @Dan Egan Clinics. I'm betting he has some great insight and could help you plan a trip.

Bolder

Out on the slopes
Skier
We were in New Zealand a few years back for another reason and I was planning on getting some early season(for them) skiing in. Snow didn’t cooperate, so we spent a week driving around the South Island surfing, hotspringing and wine tasting.
We’ve been to 20 -25 counties and the south island of New Zealand has to be one of my favorites!

I havent made it to South America, covid canceled that trip, but its on my someday list.

sorry I don’t have any useful info other than, yeah do it! Sounds awesome! Keep us posted where you go.

I can only concur. I spent 2 months in NZ when I was in my early 20s, and skied a few days at Mt. Hutt, with plenty of early-season snow. It was incredible to go from Christchurch or (CHCH) to the mountain in an hour and a half. I think if you timed it right you could hit half-a-dozen areas in a week or two. As noted, the South Island is basically an outdoor lover's paradise. I surfed around Dunedin, hiked a bunch of spots, hit one of the fjords, bungeed in Queenstown when it was still a novelty...so much to do, so little time. Unless you're dead set on the Andes, I'd go to NZ. That said, I'ver never skiied the Andes...

My wife's oldest friend married a kiwi (citizen, not the bird) and we've been making plans to get there for 15 years now...may have to wait till retirement, unfortunately.

Last edited:

Jack skis

Ex 207cm VR17 Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Ah, it was too many years ago, but G. and I went to NZ to visit my brother, his wife and daughter and took our ski boots with us. We skied 3 different areas on the south island, traveling to Wanaka by bus and to the areas by van. The bus and van drivers made sure we saw the country. We timed our visit for near the end of the ski season and found good snow cover in pleasant weather. Our only regret was that we didn't stay longer. Going from Christchurch to Queenstown and then North to Wanaka and finally returning to Christchurch (and ending your ski journey at Mt. Hutt) would give you the chance to ski at least 5 different areas. Yeah we rented skis at each area and they weren't the same quality as our own equipment, but not bad and didn't make our skiing unpleasant. The scenery is outstanding too.

Turoa Kiwi

JH
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Here are a couple of reasonably accurate and up to date websites

I would always suggest to those that are making the effort to get down here , to stay for at least three weeks , hire a suitable vehicle that has snow chains and make sure you get to experience some of the small club fields ( Craigieburn, Broken River, Olympus etc ) as well as the larger resorts.
I live in the North Island, I've skied mainly at Turoa and Whakapapa and now my daughter lives in Queenstown. Perfect!!
Last year I flew to Queenstown once for ten days to ski ,and then later in the season I did two road trips around the South Island ,one again in winter and then one in summer, both least three weeks at a time .
Happy to answer any questions

Nathanvg

Out on the slopes
Skier
Hello.
Finally retired from working. Ready to treat myself to a nice(?) skiing summer trip . Either Portillo for a week or New Zealand for 2 weeks.
Cost is not an issue.
Any advice, tips or suggestions from the crowd ?
Trying to get some insights beside the nice glossy web sites !
Thank you for reading and or answering!
I have skied a lot in the spring and summer, a few quick thoughts:
  • When I went to south America I choose Bariloche over Portillo. Details of S American ski options at https://www.skitalk.com/threads/south-american-ski-trip-advice.8110/#post-193526
  • I've skied in Europe in the summer and although it's neat, a couple hours on the glacier and it gets pretty repetitive. Skiing many national ski teams is kind of cool. Regardless, a trip like this is more about enjoying summer in Europe with one morning of skiing novelty.
  • Skiing in late spring and early summer is often really good. You can pretty much count on great skiing in CO, Mammoth, Whistler and Banff until mid May. Many years skiing is good for an additional month. It's not really summer skiing but it's close, fun and cheap.
  • Beartooth basin (Montana) opens for the season late May and runs well into the summer. It's small but another option.
  • I have never been to NZ but plan to one day. Looks great. You could ski in Australia too if you wanted. I suspect S America has the better skiing but I could be wrong.

TS
F

FreddieG

Booting up
Skier
thank you again to all folks who took time to read and answer the question, as well as for all insights and infos.
Looks like New Zealand it will be!

Turoa Kiwi

JH
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
thank you again to all folks who took time to read and answer the question, as well as for all insights and infos.
Looks like New Zealand it will be!
It is dumping snow all over the South Island as I write this. All of the major ski fields will be opening by the end of the week
I hope you enjoy NZ

SKI-3PO

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Portillo has apparently received a lot of snow also and is opening early. Hope everyone down south has a good season!

Zirbl

Out on the slopes
Skier
and @scott43

and juvass like mentioned https://gpss.no/
Think I read elsewhere that most of the hill gets covered in gates with teams training at these places. Is that the case every day of the summer, or was it bad timing by the author?

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online