• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

James

Out There
Instructor

Attachments

• IMG_1544.jpeg
    IMG_1544.jpeg
    50.7 KB · Views: 28

Nobody

Out of my mind, back in five.
Skier
I was getting ready to meet you at the lift when this guy was clicking into his bindings. The sound wasn't "solid" and I almost wondered if the bindings should be in the scary binding thread.

But I was like...."nothing to see here. move along."
Could the "non-solid" sound due to a too low din setting? Can't make the brand of skis and bindings, which might look like an old but not extremely old, Head/Tirolya combo. This said, personal responsability do apply.
Not from this season, but if we're talking outfits View attachment 218588

nobody wore helmets the last time dude or dudette skied, Davey Crockett raccoon tail hats were in vogue back then when dude or dudette purchased the gear :huh:
How did you know that, as a kid, I was skiing with a Raccoon Hat? I loved it! When I outgrew it, my mom had my Granny sew a purse with it for her. But I really loved it, warm and comfortable. I must look and find a picture of those times...

Last edited:

James

Out There
Instructor
^ It was always happening in movies too. They’re escaping the bandits or Indians in the woods, or desert, and fall into the quicksand. Stuff was everywhere. If no one is there to grab a tree branch to throw out, you’re a goner.

A real problem, even today, is falling into a corn silo or some other bean. It essentially is quicksand and people die if not rescued.

Then of course the La Brea tar pits, or a peat bog somewhere.

Mothertucker

Sweep Dodger
Skier
Blazing Saddles. Back on topic, I wonder what the guy wears out on the golf course. To the moderator that deleted my previous post, note that the woman in the photo has SX boots, and at least the seven previous posts had nothing to do with SX boots.

PXL_20230428_182154920.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
So, do you just go up to people and say " hey, hold it right there for a second while I bend down and take a picture of your boots. I want to post it on the internet so others can have a laugh at your expense."
Just wondering.......:rolleyes:
I say something like 'hey that's great vintage gear. May I take a picture of it?' other times if we're in line a few people apart I'll just snap a shot. One guy I asked was proud of his gear because it was his dad's. We had a nice conversation.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
So, do you just go up to people and say " hey, hold it right there for a second while I bend down and take a picture of your boots. I want to post it on the internet so others can have a laugh at your expense."
Just wondering.......:rolleyes:
I don't think it's a laugh at thing. I think it should be a wakeup call to manufacturers (besides Nordica and, for a year or so, Atomic) that people are willing to ski these older boots because they fit, function, and are easy to get on and off.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
We seem to look at the SX boots with reverence but other equipment of the same age with distain, even though the plastic is of the same vintage. I see people talking about how unsafe others are but not much talk about the SX being unsafe. I am not sure what this is all about when other rear entry boots were just as easy and comfortable.

Near Nyquist

At the edge of instability
Skier
We seem to look at the SX boots with reverence but other equipment of the same age with distain, even though the plastic is of the same vintage. I see people talking about how unsafe others are but not much talk about the SX being unsafe. I am not sure what this is all about when other rear entry boots were just as easy and comfortable.
For some reason the plastic on the SX was different to lower the cost of manufacture

That minor change may be the reason why exploding SX boots are not widely reported

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
For some reason the plastic on the SX was different to lower the cost of manufacture

That minor change may be the reason why exploding SX boots are not widely reported

Interesting, just one question why are Salomon boots TODAY just like everyone else? Four buckle and polyurethane shell? BTW I have a high volume foot and could not get into a SX comfortably.

Sponsor