• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Tennis Anyone?

pud

Putting on skis
Skier
Osaka has won 1 of her last 6 matches and is currently ranked 47th in the world. She apparently doesn't want to put in the work to continue playing at an elite level so she will fade away from the tour. She could have been the next tour star but for several reasons she didn't last very long. She only won 7 tournaments during her career.

James

Out There
Instructor
eta: getting pregnant is an absolute stroke of genius, too: it's the perfect excuse for disappearing for a looooong time while continuing to get paid!
Yes, absolutely. Unless it’s a scandal in Japan.

Remember when the women’s nordic jumping was trying to get into the Olympics? Maybe it was 2014 to 2018. The US women were pretty bocal and got a bunch of press. There was a short documentary made. The “leader of this was that just by the momentum of the moment/press. Well, she didn’t want to be. She was in tears in the doc saying how she didn’t want to be the leader, and never asked to be. So she kind of disappeared from the press as I remember.

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Osaka has won 1 of her last 6 matches and is currently ranked 47th in the world. She apparently doesn't want to put in the work to continue playing at an elite level so she will fade away from the tour. She could have been the next tour star but for several reasons she didn't last very long. She only won 7 tournaments during her career.
I believe that US Open win against Serena, where Serena lost her ever-loving mind, was just a bad, bad thing for Osaka. I don't have anything to back it up but just a hunch, I just don't think that was a good way for her to enter the arena.

Reactions: pud

James

Out There
Instructor
^ Yeah, that was bad.
You win, the crowd is kind of against you, and your opponent, the best ever, is nuts.

Trying to think of a men’s equivalent, it would be like a very young Agassi beating Jimmy Connors in the 1986 finals of the US Open. And Connors is smashing rackets and cursing you out.

pud

Putting on skis
Skier
? In1986 Lendl defeated Mecir in the finals. Aggasi didn't win Open until 1994.

James

Out There
Instructor
Nadal in big trouble, down 2 sets. Worse, he looks injured, limping.

James

Out There
Instructor
He’s definitely injured. He tried not to move much the little I saw. Very unNadal like.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
That's kinda what gets you in the end often. You just become susceptible to injuries more. Just can't stay healthy.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I ike very much that tournament that is now on....what do they call it...The Tour Down Under yes?

Plai

Paul Lai
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The US men are faring well. Brooksby's upset of #2 Rudd is getting lots of (re)play time. McDonald was playing really well before Nadal was injured.

Also, it good to see Andy Murray looking closer to his old self.

S.H.

USSA Coach
Skier
The US men are faring well. Brooksby's upset of #2 Rudd is getting lots of (re)play time. McDonald was playing really well before Nadal was injured.

Also, it good to see Andy Murray looking closer to his old self.
I mean, maybe Ruud shouldn't have spent the last 2 months on an exo tour instead of ...resting and training. Not surprised this is how his GS season started.
Anytime Murray wins multiple rounds in a slam, it should be celebrated. He has a metal hip!
US Men are doing well, even if Fritz, the supposed US 1, laid a real egg going out in R2.

Plai

Paul Lai
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Well, the upsets just keep coming in the first three rounds at the AO.

On the men's side, Nadal falls due to injury to McDonald who then falls in the next round to his own injury. Korda makes it deep. Paul is still in it. Current guess now, Tsitsipas v Djokovic final, with Djokovic winning.

On the women's side, I'm thinking Pegula v Rybakana semi's against Garcia in the Final.
Wildcard is Ostapenko.

James

Out There
Instructor
Djokovic may have a thigh or hamstring issue. Or he’s just gaming.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Philpug
    Notorious P.U.G.
  • Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
  • Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid