• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Northern Rockies/Alberta The “git good scrub” sunshine thread

KJL

Booting up
Skier
A fantastic thing to work on on a refrozen day where it’s not likely to melt much until very late afternoon if at all. Thank you!
Indeed! I remember guiltily scooching into the middle of the run in order to get to more scraped-off surfaces to practice two-foot releases. Too much sugar at the sides after a warm day ....

I love this whole thread, but it reminds me that next time I'm alone on the slopes I'll still try to find (and pay) someone to just take videos of me, even for a half hour or so.

I did bring my 360 camera but it's very difficult to concentrate on skiing while holding onto a bendy 9-foot selfie stick. I definitely didn't get my best Carv numbers while shooting myself, let's just put it that way ....

TS
Yepow

Yepow

Excuse me, I'm an intermediate
Skier
Day 4. Rations are low.

There is a certain professional and journalistic responsibility to not shield the reader from the horrors experienced. I present in fulfillment of that responsibility images from today. Warning: viewers with sensitive constitutions may wish to shield their eyes. Children under 12 may require a night light.

following these grisly images will be the full report. B54C01F9-6829-4913-9F3C-C87C54E81283.jpeg 4B8944C8-5383-4AD5-BE75-ADF6835A7800.jpeg A3B86640-4453-4313-AEA3-0F55C759597C.jpeg 813E0E58-B7C4-430C-B979-15F6217E9F51.jpeg

TS
Yepow

Yepow

Skier
I slept quite poorly last night and was not feelin' it. But, I am pathologically incapable of not being very close to the gondola in the parking lot. There was no way I was going to park out on the road and then shuttle back and forth to my car, so on my 4 hours of sleep I drove to Sunshine. Once parked I considered napping but instead took a TON of time to get ready, and took the 25 minute gondola to the village, then walked up to Standish lift, put in one airpod... and the other one had fallen out of the case back in the car at the base. SIGH.

I wasn't going to drill skills all day without tunes. So, did a run or 3, went back down to the base to get my airpods, took the gondola back up to midway. Did a couple runs, mojo was low, snow was good but firmer than I like, legs were tired, ... early lunch at 11 with the plan of doing some drilling. An inauspicious beginning, to be sure, still feeling rough. But--I had made the plan today to bring CURIOSITY to the hill, to be less despondent because I hadn't figured out how to ski exactly like I saw others do and more interested in "what happens if I do this when I side slip" and take mental note.

Around noon, I finally got to where I was going to work on sideslipping. My plan was given that the snow was firm I could spend quite a bit of time just seeing if I could side slip better. Wow, did this plan ever work out! (I'm not one to bury the lede!) I spent 4 hours doing 30 runs on Short and Sweet (short blue) and Larch Glade (mellow green), starting with side slipping.

Where the magic happened:
625EBB97-6540-4323-821A-C64375E4506D.jpeg

At the beginning, I could only really jerkily release pressure, couldn't really keep my torso facing down the hill (still harder on one side than the other...) The first 5-10 runs took so much longer--because I couldn't flatten the skis out with rolled ankles! A lot of practice over an hour on both sides made it so that I could slip probably 5 times faster than I started. And then a little miracle happened for me--the snow softened and it also started to snow, edged into hero snow territory. And after one of the side slips, I just let myself fall into a turn in green-pitch steepness at the end of the run. The magic! A released turn!! I tried to see if it was repeatable in this one area--it was! (See the picture as I farmed 4 of these turns side by side).

B3A20EC0-02E7-41BC-AC9A-82C8962BF6E0.jpeg

AND, the best part, at the very end of the run after doing all the side slipping, in this super soft snow and greenish steepness, I found a bunch of mojo, and was able to carve turns like I haven't been able to all trip, and it was SO MUCH FUN. I mean I get that my technique for carving sucks and will have to be rebuilt so that it works on steeper and firmer terrain--but it still feels GREAT even doing it wrong for now. I accepted that the progress/improvement was going to happen on finding neutral and sideslipping into falling leaf with an eventual goal of pivot slips, and rewarded myself at the bottom 15% of every single single run with 12 delicious carved turns. At the end of the day this is what the runout looked like, all me (AND BONUS! something I'm doing right is fixing my A-frame, I actually have railroad tracks for the first time ever!!!)

A1E5781D-223D-4ECE-BD5E-657F42F7044A.jpeg

As the day went on, sideslipping at the start got easier and faster, more runs happened, and I started playing with the entrance to the run which is a natural half-pipe. I would steer up the side of a pipe with torso facing down, throw it into neutral to come back down and uncoil to facing down the fall line, then steer up the second half, playing with what neutral is like. Someone had asked me if I had a half-pipe at my mountain--I wonder if this is why? Then more of the way down, side slipping, gradually getting more comfortable more lean down the hill, more rolled ankles (just connecting "rolling ankles" with flattening), and then a joyous reward for the hard work of getting to absolutely RIDICULOUSLY overwork a green pitch with ostentatious and tasteless over-carving.

can you IMAGINE the woes I've been having without having neutral?! Everything is a huge commit, you get frozen all the time, hung up off piste when 2 quick turns are required, initiation is a big THING, etc.

I mean, it's certainly not fixed yet, I cannot yet do pivot slips, but I'm starting to get a little sense of what it might be like to, you know, be able to take the f*cking skis off their edges when I choose to. It was a confluence of circumstances and ideal conditions, some excellent advice here from many people who kept mentioning maybe do these drills :) And big thanks to @James who provided me with the material and guidance I needed specifically this morning to do this all day. Lots more to do tomorrow in the same vein.

Bonus (don't read this if you're a curmudgeon) was setting the 9th highest CARV score all season (147) across all skiers at Sunshine in the MOST LAUGHABLE way, sideslipping down 90% of the run for drills and then carving 10 turns :) Though I also did a real 146 in the SECOND MOST LAUGHABLE way, carving down Larch Glade, which is super ridiculously mellow. It was the absolutely sweatiest performance ever done on this run with me side to side very unreasonably :) So yes, CARV scores are not strongly correlated with overall skiing ability.

Things I've learned:

I find the counter rotation to a full 90 degrees, with skis across fall line, difficult, and harder in one direction. Need flexibility and stretching I suspect over summer.
I can flatten the skis pretty well in good snow, but not enough to do a pivot slip.
I was finding a very gentle falling leaf thing reasonably easy, but maybe doing it wrong (or am I supposed to be getting like Deb levels of falling leaf?) Rolling the ankles was the tougher part.

Anyway. What started out as a blah day where I had little get-up-and-go turned into an amazing day, I feel like there's lots to explore with this and I can see where it is going to apply with turn initiation, with speed checks, with just changing direction or not being so jammed or locked!

One more day tomorrow!

Attachments

• 24655412-21E6-49C1-A28F-99908143A20A.jpeg
    24655412-21E6-49C1-A28F-99908143A20A.jpeg
    170 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
TS
Yepow

Yepow

Skier

KJL

Booting up
Skier
AND, the best part, at the very end of the run after doing all the side slipping, in this super soft snow and greenish steepness, I found a bunch of mojo, and was able to carve turns like I haven't been able to all trip, and it was SO MUCH FUN. I mean I get that my technique for carving sucks and will have to be rebuilt so that it works on steeper and firmer terrain--but it still feels GREAT even doing it wrong for now. I accepted that the progress/improvement was going to happen on finding neutral and sideslipping into falling leaf with an eventual goal of pivot slips, and rewarded myself at the bottom 15% of every single single run with 12 delicious carved turns.
I can totally relate: struggling over and over with achingly long pauses between two-footed release turns — then letting myself carve (poorly, in my case) at the very bottom.

I had to remind myself that at one time I couldn't even ski parallel, never mind carve. Now carving is my way to relax!

Someone posted earlier about practicing J turns on a black diamond: that was actually how I learned to carve, after the blue run I was looking for turned out to be closed. It was the only way down. I was so tired, and so scared, I finally used a drill as an excuse not to ski the run — and it worked.

Progress is real, and frequently serendipitous. Thanks for sharing your journey with us!

Chris V.

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I tried a lot of releases from standing today. It was super hard. I attach a photo of my one triumph in like 4 hours.
Great work doing all those two-footed releases. They definitely take practice! And I learn something new every time I knuckle down and do a bunch of them. They're a lot more complex then they might look when you see video of a practiced expert doing them. I wrote earlier, "Doing two-footed releases properly requires a blend of strong foot tipping, an assertive release and movement of weight onto the new outside foot, foot tuckback, a commitment to the fall line once you start moving, hip leveling, and upper-lower body separation. And a good pattern of fore-aft movement! The finish of the turn is as important as the release itself. ...Above all, COMMIT TO THE RELEASE, and don't push off or make a muscular pivot."

An element that's not so obvious is the need to flex the new outside leg, lower that hip, and initiate angulation (which will be a reversal of the anticipated static position from which you start the release) right out of the gate. You'll be making an assertive, early, complete weight transfer to the new outside ski, initially on the LITTLE TOE edge until the ski finishes releasing. That's key. Then strongly tipping the new inside foot will lead to the skis rolling over onto the new edges.

Flex more in the initiation. A lot more than you think. Let the knees drop down the mountain at the same time. Keep flexing as the skis turn and drop toward the apex.

Last edited:
TS
Yepow

Yepow

Skier
Day 5: rations are low. It seems things were a bit TL;DR for the other post which I thought was the best content so I’ll be briefer.

I’ll start with some dreary winter photos C8BEA46F-1106-48D3-A71A-AE19D68A81D5.jpeg 30A8F56C-1195-449D-BCA1-065FD7273806.jpeg 9A2D2C7B-FDF5-46A7-AB4F-C478A078CD32.jpeg

Today was a reasonably good day of skiing. My body still mostly remembered the side slips so I did more and some falling leaves. I also used some of this interesting neutral to work on initiation. I hadn’t really internalized Chris Vs comments; I was more able to roll both ankles together (for whatever reason connecting “flatten the skis” with the “roll the ankles” helped me figure this part out a bit better). Left a few cleaner tracks. Ultimately I did something a little wonky near the end of the day and tweaked my left hip flexor so called it a trip at 3;30pm.

at the end of 5 days, I had some new skills and will continue to work on neutral and on transition.: it felt like it often does, like it took me 3-4 days to get going and confident and then I was tired and the trip was almost over. I would really like to know how to not have to spend that first few days struggling getting back to the relaxed skier with some actual mobility that I was at the end. I hope that gets better over time.

TS
Yepow

Yepow

Skier
Great work doing all those two-footed releases. They definitely take practice! And I learn something new every time I knuckle down and do a bunch of them. They're a lot more complex then they might look when you see video of a practiced expert doing them. I wrote earlier, "Doing two-footed releases properly requires a blend of strong foot tipping, an assertive release and movement of weight onto the new outside foot, foot tuckback, a commitment to the fall line once you start moving, hip leveling, and upper-lower body separation. And a good pattern of fore-aft movement! The finish of the turn is as important as the release itself. ...Above all, COMMIT TO THE RELEASE, and don't push off or make a muscular pivot."

An element that's not so obvious is the need to flex the new outside leg, lower that hip, and initiate angulation (which will be a reversal of the anticipated static position from which you start the release) right out of the gate. You'll be making an assertive, early, complete weight transfer to the new outside ski, initially on the LITTLE TOE edge until the ski finishes releasing. That's key. Then strongly tipping the new inside foot will lead to the skis rolling over onto the new edges.

Flex more in the initiation. A lot more than you think. Let the knees drop down the mountain at the same time. Keep flexing as the skis turn and drop toward the apex.
I am going to have to really chew on this. Thank you!

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier
I would really like to know how to not have to spend that first few days struggling getting back to the relaxed skier with some actual mobility that I was at the end. I hope that gets better over time.

The solution is pretty simple - stay at a resort for a whole season, ski nearly every day.

The hard part is being able to re-arrange the rest of your life to make this possible. :rolleyes:

James

Out There
Instructor
The solution is pretty simple - stay at a resort for a whole season, ski nearly every day.

The hard part is being able to re-arrange the rest of your life to make this possible. :rolleyes:
A few days summer skiing also helps.

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Not TL;DR. Several of us skiing at the New England Gathering commented favorably on your thread. We're just too busy slaying the snow over here to comment. Keep up the good work!

If this is the end of your season, then work on your core strength and flexibility on the off season. Keep thinking about the new movement patterns, and drills you've learned and get right on them again next season. Expect to backslide a little when you start up again after many months off.

If you can still ski more this season at your local hill, then drill drill drill.

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
Theoretically, your feet are as if on railroad tracks and go straight down. No side to side movement. Not sure that’s actually done though.

This is the deal. Keep feet in exactly the same spot beneath your body, heading downhill on two straight lines. If you pivot the skis and don't move the feet, but keep them right there on their imaginary straight lines, you'll be ahead of the game. This means you've figured out how to rotate the legs but not the pelvis.

TS
Yepow

Yepow

Skier
the drive home thru the prairies is intolerably banal F4588168-FEBE-4A73-8A0E-9C9E31B57D4D.jpeg

TS
Yepow

Yepow

Skier
@Yepow, where were you standing when you took this image?
View attachment 165241
I was sitting on goats eye chair, displaying admirable upper-lower separation to avoid getting chairs in the picture. Why?
(My best guess is you’re concerned I’m standing downhill in a dangerous spot)

Here’s another shot showing the chair.
1DD3AAC4-5CBD-433D-BA6F-D6B7F10BBCA3.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

Mel

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I recognized those bumps! Second best bumps on the hill, after the top half of Divide!

Sponsor

Staff online