• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

The Atomic Professional Series

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Done. They feel good and a bit tight, which seems as it should be for Day Zero on new boots.

Almost certainly going to need small shell bumps for my bony, mid-outer foot protrusions (that I can never remember the name of), but will wait until I do a few around the house, preseason sessions, and maybe even an actual ski day or two.

I waited too long for this on my old Raptors, and those spots ended up a bit perturbed for about a month IIRC. :(

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Almost certainly going to need small shell bumps for my bony, mid-outer foot protrusions (that I can never remember the name of),
I waited too long for this on my old Raptors, and those spots ended up a bit perturbed for about a month IIRC. :(

If they are in front of your ankle, but not as far forward as the base of your toes, it is the styloid process joint? (bones?). I have those on my narrow feet and that is the only place I needed a punch on my CS 130's. Don't wait long, they do get sensitive rather quickly and take a while to get back to normal.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
If they are in front of your ankle, but not as far forward as the base of your toes, it is the styloid process joint? (bones?). I have those on my narrow feet and that is the only place I needed a punch on my CS 130's. Don't wait long, they do get sensitive rather quickly and take a while to get back to normal.

Agreed. Thanks for the confirmation.

That's exactly what happened with my Raptors. The more I think about it, the more I think I'll just give them two in-house wearings, then have them bumped sooner, rather than later.

TS
onenerdykid

onenerdykid

Product Manager, Atomic Ski Boots
Masterfit Bootfitter
Manufacturer
@onenerdykid question for you on the shell and memory fit. The heel pocket feels a slight bit narrow in its radius around my hell, slight pinching on the heel itself. Will memory fit or shell work assist with this?
In terms of a "slight pinch" at the base of our heel, I wouldn't anything at this point, especially Memory Fit. I would let the liner settle in a bit, and if it continues to give you grief then have your boot fitter grind some plastic away from that area of the shell. My general reaction is don't do Memory Fit for this.

bbinder

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Purchased mimic professional liners and had them molded and injected by the shop. Feel great in the shop, but I will have to wait to see how they feel while skiing. I have to admit that my expectations are high.

Rudi Riet

AKA songfta AKA randomduck - a USSS coach, as well
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I brought my boot fitter a 6-pack of nice local Oregon IPA.

Same here: asked Bob what he likes and done. Shared one with him after the fitting.

Truberski

Getting off the lift
Skier
how warm is the pro liner compared to the standard mimic platinum one? is there any thinsulate in it ?
I’ve had both and did not notice a difference and both were on the normal side of “not cold.” I had custom foam liners many years ago and those were cold and was very happy the Atomic Pro Liners did not have that trait.

TS
onenerdykid

onenerdykid

Masterfit Bootfitter
Manufacturer
how warm is the pro liner compared to the standard mimic platinum one? is there any thinsulate in it ?

I’ve had both and did not notice a difference and both were on the normal side of “not cold.” I had custom foam liners many years ago and those were cold and was very happy the Atomic Pro Liners did not have that trait.

No Thinsulate in the Mimic Professional series of liners, but all of them have a layer of neoprene that surrounds the foot from heel to toe, which makes them far warmer than a traditional foam liner and I would say on par with our standard Mimic liners that have Thinsulate in them.

bremmick

Booting up
Skier
@onenerdykid is there any performance differences between the prime or ultra or is just the volume of the shell?

Also, with swapping the tongues will that reduce pressure over the instep if this is an issue? I've got a narrow forefoot and a girthy heel and high instep. So wondering if ultra is the better fit and swap the tongue if need be....or is prime the route. I've got a +2 measurement on my instep and length of my arch.

TS
onenerdykid

onenerdykid

Masterfit Bootfitter
Manufacturer
@onenerdykid is there any performance differences between the prime or ultra or is just the volume of the shell?

Also, with swapping the tongues will that reduce pressure over the instep if this is an issue? I've got a narrow forefoot and a girthy heel and high instep. So wondering if ultra is the better fit and swap the tongue if need be....or is prime the route. I've got a +2 measurement on my instep and length of my arch.
Due to its construction, Hawx Ultra is going to offer a bit more performance than Hawx Prime. In terms of fit, Hawx Ultra is a lower volume boot overall - shell and cuff, not just shell. Because I'm not able to assess your foot nor see it in the boot, I won't be able to give you appropriate fit guidance on over the internet. But it would be helpful to know what boot are you coming out of, how well did it work for you and what mods did you have done to it?

In terms of liner tongues, the Hawx versions of the liners come with the Medium Volume fit, which is nicely robust in terms of thickness. The High Volume fit tongue is 3mm thinner top to bottom, so it will give you more instep space but also more space up in the cuff of the the boot. That may or may not work for your needs.

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Can you change tongues on all Mimic liners, or all liners, or just the Professional series??

TS
onenerdykid

onenerdykid

Masterfit Bootfitter
Manufacturer
Can you change tongues on all Mimic liners, or all liners, or just the Professional series??
Not regular Mimic (at this point in time); only liners that have a tongue with a Velcro fixation: Mimic Professional, Redster World Cup, and other brands’ liners that have a similar tongue fixation.

bremmick

Booting up
Skier
Due to its construction, Hawx Ultra is going to offer a bit more performance than Hawx Prime. In terms of fit, Hawx Ultra is a lower volume boot overall - shell and cuff, not just shell. Because I'm not able to assess your foot nor see it in the boot, I won't be able to give you appropriate fit guidance on over the internet. But it would be helpful to know what boot are you coming out of, how well did it work for you and what mods did you have done to it?

In terms of liner tongues, the Hawx versions of the liners come with the Medium Volume fit, which is nicely robust in terms of thickness. The High Volume fit tongue is 3mm thinner top to bottom, so it will give you more instep space but also more space up in the cuff of the the boot. That may or may not work for your needs.

Thanks @onenerdykid the boot I'm coming off on was the Lange RX 130 (the 100mm last version, not the 97mm). In terms of modification we did a decent punch at the navicular bones on both boots. Other than that the fit was pretty good other than my forefoot, there could be a narrower fit for my forefoot.

Last edited:

Triplet

Chasing the perfect fit, ENTP :)
Skier
Matt(@onenerdykid), is the ankle bladder in Ti Mimic professional bigger than the one in Hawx series? For the Hawx it's easy, there is a photo online of the pouches but no info on the Redster liner...

TS
onenerdykid

onenerdykid

Masterfit Bootfitter
Manufacturer
Matt(@onenerdykid), is the ankle bladder in Ti Mimic professional bigger than the one in Hawx series? For the Hawx it's easy, there is a photo online of the pouches but no info on the Redster liner...
Same size foam bladder and same foam are used in both Redster & Hawx Mimic Professional liners.

The only differences are the tongues and the outer microfiber material thickness (the leather looking material on the outside of the liner)- Redster is 1.5mm and Hawx 2.5mm thick.

Sponsor

Staff online