• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

The Atomic Professional Series

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@onenerdykid I've been doing the preseason home trials on my new Redster CS130 Pros and things are feeling pretty good, but I am definitely going to need some relief for the bumps on the outsides of both feet (as I previously did in Raptors).

Punch or grind at my Monday morning fitting is my question for you.

I grabbed an internet pic that nicely approximates what I've got going on, if that helps.

Thanks!

lump-on-side-of-foot.jpg

Rudi Riet

AKA songfta AKA randomduck - a USSS coach, as well
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
^^^^

So-called "7th toe" bunions/spurs. I have them as well, and had my TI130s ground to accommodate them (as well as every other boot I've worn over the past 25 years).

TS
onenerdykid

onenerdykid

Product Manager, Atomic Ski Boots
Masterfit Bootfitter
Manufacturer
@onenerdykid I've been doing the preseason home trials on my new Redster CS130 Pros and things are feeling pretty good, but I am definitely going to need some relief for the bumps on the outsides of both feet (as I previously did in Raptors).

Punch or grind at my Monday morning fitting is my question for you.

I grabbed an internet pic that nicely approximates what I've got going on, if that helps.

Thanks!

View attachment 183446
Grind first, stretch second (if needed) - there is A LOT of plastic in this area of the boot. Grinding here will not weaken the boot in the slightest and it will make the plastic thin enough to stretch easily should you need more later on.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Grind first, stretch second (if needed) - there is A LOT of plastic in this area of the boot. Grinding here will not weaken the boot in the slightest and it will make the plastic thin enough to stretch easily should you need more later on.

Update: Stopped in today, and the shop really preferred to stretch first. I prodded gently, and their logic seemed reasonable, so I didn't fight the flow.

Pick them up tomorrow or next. Stay tuned for the Thanksgiving Fit Update!

Jb.schulte

Booting up
Skier
I swapped to MV for both. Here is the breakdown (it's best to understand the MV fit first and then think of the others):
High Volume fit = 3mm thinner than MV top to bottom
Medium Volume fit = standard thickness top to bottom
Low Volume fit = MV basis + 3mm thicker foam over the instep area/top of foot
So I did purchase the Low Volume tongue and swapped out the Medium tongue that came with my boots. He fit, seems much, much better. The price was just $50 which is very reasonable for a boot accessory. I had been thinking of switching to zip fit liners, but I don’t think that will be necessary now. Awesome that the tongues are switchable and with the LV tongue the additional foam over the instep is certainly noticeable. I know it may pack out after a few years, but then I can get a new tongue rather than a new liner.

TS
onenerdykid

onenerdykid

Masterfit Bootfitter
Manufacturer
So I did purchase the Low Volume tongue and swapped out the Medium tongue that came with my boots. He fit, seems much, much better. The price was just $50 which is very reasonable for a boot accessory. I had been thinking of switching to zip fit liners, but I don’t think that will be necessary now. Awesome that the tongues are switchable and with the LV tongue the additional foam over the instep is certainly noticeable. I know it may pack out after a few years, but then I can get a new tongue rather than a new liner.
Glad to hear it worked for you. Many of our World Cup athletes have access to a foam-injected tongue, but even then the majority of them stick with our V3 Tongue System. The fit differences are very tangible (as you found) and they just work. And while foam does pack out after a while, the thicker area in the LV tongue doesn't see as much compression as say the shin area or ankle area. I think you'll have them for a number of years.

bricecrispy

Putting on skis
Skier
Yesterday was day one of my ski season. Also my first day skiing the Redster CS130 Professional. Big difference having come from a Dalbello Krypton 120. Much much closer fit everywhere. It was also 18 degrees F that day and the boot was noticeably stiff. Too early to say whether that means too stiff for me. Most days at my local resort are warmer. The fit of the shell and professional liner is pretty darn good. I think I'll be able to make some additional tweaks with my bootfitter for added comfort and bloodflow. I was getting less than ideal circulation to my toes, particularly on my left foot which is a half size longer. The dual power strap is fantastic. I love the feeling of direct connection to the boot tongue via the lower elastic strap. It was an amazing powder day which of course turned into a rowdy chop day so I kept the non-elastic part of the strap loose. The close/precise fit of the boot, plus the stiffness, and the heavy stable plastic allowed me to absolutely mach down the hill. I was able to tell my skis exactly what to do. No slop or unwanted slop or play. Just direct connection between my feet/ankles and skis. Very confidence inspiring.

@onenerdykid I listened to your latest Blister Gear:30 podcast and heard you mention the shockstopper-boot-board. I think I'll scoop up a pair of these asap. I jump around a fair amount and I need all the shock absorption I can get especially given my battered knees and lower back. Are these available in the US? I'll try my dealer. I was told I couldn't get the dual component lifters until January.

TS
onenerdykid

onenerdykid

Masterfit Bootfitter
Manufacturer
What you've described echoes my personal thoughts on the boot as well. Sounds like you're off to a good start!

As for the lifters, I hope you get them soon! I really don't know much about ETAs stateside as it's a lot of customs BS that I don't have any insight on. If I get any updates, I'll be sure to post them here. The ShockStopper boot boards should also be available, probably on the same boat as the lifters.

bremmick

Booting up
Skier
Does memory fit of the shell affect the instep height or is the tongue the better option for this?

Ultra 130 is a little snug at the instep, wondering if memory fit does the trick or if we should try the high volume tongue first? How much volume goes away switching to the HV tongue?

TS
onenerdykid

onenerdykid

Masterfit Bootfitter
Manufacturer
Does memory fit of the shell affect the instep height or is the tongue the better option for this?

Ultra 130 is a little snug at the instep, wondering if memory fit does the trick or if we should try the high volume tongue first? How much volume goes away switching to the HV tongue?
Memory Fit can do that, but it can also make other spots wider as well. If you want to prioritize performance over comfort, don’t go the Memory Fit route. I would grind the boot board down a bit or try a HV fit tongue. The latter will give you an extra 3mm of space.

bricecrispy

Putting on skis
Skier
@onenerdykid My Redster CS boots came with a spoiler for reducing volume at the back of the boot. I want to install them, but I'm having trouble finding instructions. I called my dealer in Oregon who did my bootfitting, but they don't know the answer since they normally don't carry this model. It doesn't look that complicated overall, but it does look to me like the existing holes in the back of the boot will need to be drilled (permenantly) to a larger diameter in order to fit the larger mounting hardware that was included with the spoiler. Can you confirm? Are any special tools needed? I know it's not rocket science, but I don't want to permanently mess up my $1,000 boots.

TS
onenerdykid

onenerdykid

Masterfit Bootfitter
Manufacturer
@onenerdykid My Redster CS boots came with a spoiler for reducing volume at the back of the boot. I want to install them, but I'm having trouble finding instructions. I called my dealer in Oregon who did my bootfitting, but they don't know the answer since they normally don't carry this model. It doesn't look that complicated overall, but it does look to me like the existing holes in the back of the boot will need to be drilled (permenantly) to a larger diameter in order to fit the larger mounting hardware that was included with the spoiler. Can you confirm? Are any special tools needed? I know it's not rocket science, but I don't want to permanently mess up my $1,000 boots.
Are you already using the velcro liner spoiler?

The AR Cuff Spoiler isn't the easiest thing to install, but it isn't the hardest :) This spoiler essentially mounts to the back of the cuff and the power strap fixation goes through it. You need to push the existing claw nuts out of the cuff (simply loosening the screws but keep a few threads engaged then push the screw to force the claw nut out), push/pull the claw nuts into the spoiler, and then use longer screws (should be supplied) to reattach the power strap. There might be 4 pieces in the spoiler kit (2 main spoilers and 2 smaller shims) - just use the 2 main spoilers.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

As an alternative solution to this you can try and find a pair of Ultra/Ultra XTD velcro spoilers. My CS130 came with the ones that you got but I didn't bother installing them, just used velcro ones which I had from XTDs.

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I used the shims supplied with the kit on my CS 130 boots (non-velcro). It was pretty easy to install, no drilling required. You might need the screws to pull the claw nuts into the new spoiler, I forget. You definitely need the longer screws. About the only issue I had was I wanted to use the shims and spoiler and the screws weren't long enough for both, so I just went with the spoiler and all worked fine. It was enough to take up the extra volume and I am happy with the results. Shims not needed for me, but if so, would have needed the next length screw to go through both shim and spoiler.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

Great Day One report. Mine will be tomorrow/Friday.

How cold were they? This is my single biggest concern, as the temps you mentioned are very typical of northern MT.

I spent a season freezing my feet and having trouble de-booting in the parking lot with a pair of Raptors -- which skied blissfully! -- so I'm a bit gun shy.

BLiP

Out on the slopes
Skier
As an alternative solution to this you can try and find a pair of Ultra/Ultra XTD velcro spoilers. My CS130 came with the ones that you got but I didn't bother installing them, just used velcro ones which I had from XTDs.
Second this. My fitter grabbed a set of velcro spoilers and used those rather than the spoilers that came with the CS130. Much easier. Maybe call your fitter and see if they have any surplus.

Sponsor

Staff online