• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

The Atomic Professional Series

Rdputnam515

Getting off the lift
Skier
Any plan on a 120 flex? at 150lb and 45 yoa I don’t feel the need for 130 flex boots anymore.

this boot however may move me from a Technica loyalist into Atomics. you may have answered this earlier in the thread but I didn’t see it...

Rdputnam515

Getting off the lift
Skier
Also, my Technica Cochise are 99mm last would the 98 on the ultras be Ok ? i dont really want to bump up to 100mm I’m afraid it will be too sloppy.

TS
onenerdykid

onenerdykid

Product Manager, Atomic Ski Boots
Masterfit Bootfitter
Manufacturer
Any plan on a 120 flex? at 150lb and 45 yoa I don’t feel the need for 130 flex boots anymore.

this boot however may move me from a Technica loyalist into Atomics. you may have answered this earlier in the thread but I didn’t see it...

In terms of complete boots, there will only be 130 models available. But, there are liners available on their own so it would be possible to build up a boot to you liking but that would obviously be a more expensive route.

Also, my Technica Cochise are 99mm last would the 98 on the ultras be Ok ? i dont really want to bump up to 100mm I’m afraid it will be too sloppy.

I would definitely start you with an Ultra. It's much easier to make space if needed than to take it away, plus with these liners it's much easier to make a lower volume boot work for you.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
In terms of complete boots, there will only be 130 models available. But, there are liners available on their own so it would be possible to build up a boot to you liking but that would obviously be a more expensive route.

Really hoping my small town local shop carries the professional liners for next season. I'm loving the new Ultra S boots, but the liners are definitely starting to pack down a bit after about 20 days (not much of a numbers guy, so it could be closer to 25).

One of the things I've always loved about Intuition liners is the firm foam density. I feel like it has always given me a very precise fit without the need to crank down overly hard on the buckles, so I'm sure I'll be looking for a set of Professional liners next fall.

chris_the_wrench

Spinning wrenches and throwing spokes.
Skier
Really hoping my small town local shop carries the professional liners for next season. I'm loving the new Ultra S boots, but the liners are definitely starting to pack down a bit after about 20 days (not much of a numbers guy, so it could be closer to 25).

They told me they will be bringing the professional in for the Hawx but not doing the Redsters.

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I am pretty sure that any shop that carries Atomic boots can order whatever you want. The professional liners will need to injected, so if they don't have that equipment, you will have to find a shop that does. ONK can give more detail I am sure.

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
This is so great. I love my Hawx Ultra115W, and I use a foamed Doberman lace up liner with mine. Nice to know there’s now a foamed liner option should I need to replace my boots. Women with narrow feet will rejoice!

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
@onenerdykid will the redster pro liners be any better built/more robust than the standard plug liner? As someone who is typically doing 100+ days a year on snow/coaching in a plug boot the liners - apart from packing out - start to wear and fall apart at the heel and toe with being pulled in and out of the shell every day.. Even using a new liner every year, by the end of the season the liner is typically being held together at the toe with duct tape :(

TS
onenerdykid

onenerdykid

Masterfit Bootfitter
Manufacturer
@onenerdykid will the redster pro liners be any better built/more robust than the standard plug liner? As someone who is typically doing 100+ days a year on snow/coaching in a plug boot the liners - apart from packing out - start to wear and fall apart at the heel and toe with being pulled in and out of the shell every day.. Even using a new liner every year, by the end of the season the liner is typically being held together at the toe with duct tape :(
In terms of the reinforcement in the heel, the liners are the same. It's hard to add more reinforcement to these liners because it starts messing with the fit and feel of the liner.

Betaracer

Atomic Race & Tech Rep, BC Region
Skier
A guy your size is definitely going to turn most any commercial boot to mush. Couple that with big skis and it only exacerbates the issue. We currently don't build a 100mm boot on the same level as a Redster Club Sport, and as much as I see the need for some people to be in such a boot, it won't be happening in the near future. With that said, if you have a medium/100mm-ish foot shape, it should not be that difficult to get you fit in a Club Sport. There is sooo much plastic in the lower shell that it can really be made to fit a "100mm foot" with minimal swearing.

As for a boot's life expectancy, this is hard to put a number on but most any boot from any brand will last around 150-200 days of actual skiing (not ownership days). This number drops down if people are in fits that are too big, with how rough people are on their gear, if they don't properly take care of it, etc.

One last point, it's a Hawx not a Hawk :beercheer:

I've been using a Hawx Ultra 130 since it has been available, and me big boy. They are just so much more comfortable than my Redster WC 150, so I'll even use the Ultra with my G9R, G9RS or S9FIS for aggressive rec skiing. They compliment the flex of my Maverick 95 and 88. Maybe my LOFT is too low?

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
ONK,

Can you send a Part number for the new professional dual elastic power strap for a Redster Club Sport, 29 shell. I was at a shop today and want to put an order in for next years shipment. Want to get something on the books so I get one at the start of next season.

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

@ScotsSkier, you should take a look at the Redster Club Sport liner. It is a much beefier liner and might hold up better. I don't bother taking it in and out of my boot, but you could as it has lace up capability. I tried on a WC Redster and a Club Sport Redster this year and the liners were very different. WC was thinner and less beefy, took up less volume. The padding, tongue and heel of the Club Sport liner just felt much better to me. I swapped them in the boots. I have a low volume, narrow foot for what its worth. The thickness and density of the padding in the CS liner was just superb. Here is a picture of the Club Sport liner.

IMG_20210220_215230835.jpg

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
ONK,

One other question, I want to upgrade the Velcro power strap on my Hawx Ultra XTD's with a cam buckle one. I am wondering if the strap on the Backland Pro boot would work??, as it is mesh and looks lighter than what comes on the XTD 130 boot now. I have a WC booster strap that I will try, but it is pretty heavy and not as wide. I also don't want the boot to get softer, so not interested in the lower level boosters.

Any suggestions and how would I get the part number for the Backland strap or the XTD strap.

TS
onenerdykid

onenerdykid

Masterfit Bootfitter
Manufacturer
ONK,

One other question, I want to upgrade the Velcro power strap on my Hawx Ultra XTD's with a cam buckle one. I am wondering if the strap on the Backland Pro boot would work??, as it is mesh and looks lighter than what comes on the XTD 130 boot now. I have a WC booster strap that I will try, but it is pretty heavy and not as wide. I also don't want the boot to get softer, so not interested in the lower level boosters.

Any suggestions and how would I get the part number for the Backland strap or the XTD strap.
The Backland straps are specific to the Backland boots- they have a single mounting hole and the strap is offset to fit the cuff correctly. You'll want to go with a Hawx XTD cam buckle strap. I don't have that part number handy at the moment, but I can forward it to you next week when I am back in the office.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
They told me they will be bringing the professional in for the Hawx but not doing the Redsters.

That is some good news. Thanks for checking. I'll swing buy (ha) and put in an early order for a pair of 29 liners and the new-fangled straps.

Though cinching down the standard straps adequately is a nice little core/stretching exercise to start the day. ogsmile

Sponsor

Staff online