• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

The Curse of American Ski Reviews

Brian Finch

Privateer Skier @ www.SkiWithaGrimRipper.com
Industry Insider
The other thing is that true SL skis are great at their specific purpose but can be a bit of a pain elsewhere. I know there are god-like talents here who love skiing powder and tough bumps on their FIS SL skis and ploughing through crunk and everyone else is a pussy but in the real wprld populated by refular humans they just aren't as versatile as a dialled down pistencarver. The rebound for starters is a PITA if you get it wrong.
7229AB71-E983-4D4E-B8C7-D2D9A02BE413.jpeg

Wut?
B21EDF30-EFD1-40B0-B2D3-04F8181ED06C.jpeg

Brian Finch

Privateer Skier @ www.SkiWithaGrimRipper.com
Industry Insider
See god-like talents. Unless you're about to crash n burn in the second pic

I actually am coming around & after testing skis in the spring & really focused on spending next year on 80mm skis like the Kendos, Divus, Endurance88 & r87 from Heritage Labs as I feel I can better modulate the turn on a ski without a plate.

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Why is this still the case? What makes European off piste uncontrollable with regard to avalanches and cravases? Are there any European resorts that operate on the American model of avalanche control? Because off piste is just more fun. Not true? Show me an expert proficient in both and I'll tell you where they'll be on a powder day.

When we had a friend visit from Europe, we took him skiing and he laughed at the all the legalese and warning signs at the ticket windows and lift lines. But then he was surprised and totally blown away about being able to ski in "the forest". Doesn't Europe understand that if they control the off trails, everyone is going to need a quiver and they can double or triple their ski sales?

Simple economics. They sell plenty of tickets currently. Why would they expend a huge amount more to control and patrol an vastly larger area than they currently do.

Would they sell more lift tickets? More hotel beds? Probably a few, but not enough in the grand scheme of things.

Remember, we are the weirdos. The vast majority of skiers (especially in Europe, where it truly is a mass participation activity) are casual vacationers who want some fun in the sun.

The other issue is that land ownership is much more fragmented in the Alps, while in the US most ski areas operate on a combo of National Forest Service land and land they own themselves.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
@Tricia those are good, neve3r knew they were there.
Now help out an old guy. How do you find them for the ski testers? Looked under Ski Reviews panel, no help there. Do you go to the individual and look under the About button? Color me slow on a hot day.
Now that our 2023 reviews are live, I'm pondering how to make a glossary of the testers that is easy to find.
would it help if I made a sticky with a tagging of all testers so its easy to go to their profile page and get the information?
The information should be on the About tab in the person's profile.

Example:
@Philpug
@Tricia
@AmyPJ
@Lauren AKA elemmac
@Andy Mink
@Ron
@Stephen
@Drahtguy Kevin
@Erik Timmerman
@ScotsSkier
@WadeHoliday
@Winks
@SBrown (for long term tests only)

Past testers(some of these have had life changes and are not as available during test season but still participate here. Some may join the test team again.)
@SkiNurse
@FairToMiddlin
@Doug Briggs
@UGASkiDawg
@Dean spirito

Last edited:

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Now that our 2023 reviews are live, I'm pondering how to make a glossary of the testers that is easy to find.
would it help if I made a sticky with a tagging of all testers so its easy to go to their profile page and get the information?
The information should be on the About tab in the person's profile.

Example:
@Philpug
@Tricia
@AmyPJ
@Lauren AKA elemmac
@Andy Mink
@Ron
@Stephen
@Drahtguy Kevin
@Erik Timmerman
@ScotsSkier
@WadeHoliday
@Winks
@SBrown (for long term tests only)

Past testers(some of these have had life changes and are not as available during test season but still participate here. Some may join the test team again.)
@SkiNurse
@FairToMiddlin
@Doug Briggs
@UGASkiDawg
@Dean spirito
That sounds good @Tricia. When and where is ORSS this year? Particularly on snow.

Sponsor

Staff online