• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

The Dangers of Skiing Off Piste In Europe

James

Out There
Instructor
Trees in Europe don’t seem to grow as high. I don’t think you’ll find a single tree at 3,000 meters. 9,840 ft. That’s almost 1,000 ft below Abasin parking lot. Not sure what tree line is, maybe 2,200-2,400m, (7,400-7,800ft)?

anders_nor

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Here the highest trees are at 1200meters in the mountains, but near the coast its lower, last 50 years treeline has grown higher, and especially 100.

It seems most of my powskiiing here is below treeline as it just blows of the open areas into the trees, so you can have 0cm of pow on top of mountain, and 1+ meter of fresh fluffy stuff in the trees. Sucks that trees tends to be supertight. Not a huge fan of trees, crashed into them to many times.

high visibility day in the trees here, usually way way way worse ;)

2021-02-18 13.59.56.jpg

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
A Basin is a fair amount South of most of the resorts in the Alps true?
Keep going North in North America and the timber line keeps dropping down. Could that be part of this puzzle?

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Trees in Europe don’t seem to grow as high. I don’t think you’ll find a single tree at 3,000 meters. 9,840 ft. That’s almost 1,000 ft below Abasin parking lot. Not sure what tree line is, maybe 2,200-2,400m, (7,400-7,800ft)?
2000m ish is a fair stab for the natural limit. I've skied Val Thorens a lot (Resort is measured at 2300m ) and only found a single bush like tree with some scrub in the Lac de Lou exit.

Thinking of Innsbruck. Trees start to get pretty sparse above the top station at about 1950m at Patscherkofel so maybe treeline absolutely at around 2100m.

Wiki seems to agree citing a treeline at 2200m for CH. Could be worse - Scotland is 500m and Northern Quebec 0m apparently.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I also learned from that article that there are really 3 different "tree lines." Which do we usually mean in skiing?

f2_berdanier.jpg

James

Out There
Instructor
I also learned from that article that there are really 3 different "tree lines." Which do we usually mean in skiing?

f2_berdanier.jpg
I would say Tree Species line. After which no trees.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Nah - treeline. Above that too few trees to make a material difference to the ski experience other than as navigational markers.

PowHog

Getting on the lift
Skier
In the Alps the treeline runs at around 2000 m give or take.

And yes, in the Eastern Alps (particularly Austria) the majority of resorts top out at altitudes well below most parking lots of Colorado resorts. Many of them operate between Christmas and Easter only. For example the highest lift access in Austria is around the A-Basin parking lot mark.

James

Out There
Instructor
Watch out for the roaming axe people. You only find them below the Alpine Zone.

4D5F498D-4AC4-45FD-9DE3-9B4A11A63692.jpeg

Still don’t know what that sign means.

Core2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
My buddy spent a ton of money did a Switzerland trip and came back and said he wished he had just gone to Utah.

TS
Jacob

Jacob

Out on the slopes
Skier

The important thing is the elevation of the tree line relative to the base. As others have said, tree line in the Alps is around 2000 m, but there are a lot of resorts that are around 1000-1500 m at base level. So, they’ve got 500-1000 m of terrain below tree line.

It’s only the “high” resorts in the Alps that have bases near 2000 m.

PowHog

Getting on the lift
Skier
Either he got unlucky with the snow conditions or he did it wrong.

Depends on the resort I'd say. There are quite a few resorts in Switzerland (or the Alps in general) which I would avoid at all cost.

PowHog

Getting on the lift
Skier
The important thing is the elevation of the tree line relative to the base. As others have said, tree line in the Alps is around 2000 m, but there are a lot of resorts that are around 1000-1500 m at base level. So, they’ve got 500-1000 m of terrain below tree line.

It’s only the “high” resorts in the Alps that have bases near 2000 m.

For reference the highest alpine resort (Val Thorens in France) is at about 7.500 ft and lifts run up to 11.000 ft. That's the same what Snowbird/LCC offers with the difference that the French resort is entirely treeless. Gotta watch out when the fog is rolling in.

Virtually all Colorado resorts are significantly higher than that. Thinking that A-Basin starts where the Trois Vallees top out and the treeline goes even 2000 ft. higher is unreal.

TS
Jacob

Jacob

Out on the slopes
Skier
Depends on the resort I'd say. There are quite a few resorts in Switzerland (or the Alps in general) which I would avoid at all cost.

There are many ways of doing a trip to the Alps wrong. Choosing the wrong resort is one of them.

James

Out There
Instructor
9D4BCEC0-D6D1-4F35-A496-60E1AAC6DF7C.jpeg

There’s a treeline. Lenzerheide, Switzerland.
(Shot taken off the tv during WCup finals)

What are some?

TS
Jacob

Jacob

Out on the slopes
Skier
View attachment 128984
There’s a treeline. Lenzerheide, Switzerland.
(Shot taken off the tv during WCup finals)

Lenzerheide has a lot of fun lift-served off-piste terrain. There isn’t a lot of super challenging stuff, but there isn’t much that’s boring either. There also aren’t many hazards for a resort in the Alps, so it’s a relatively safe place to ski.

It’s one of my favourites, but I usually stay in Arosa and ski over.

Sponsor