• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I was going to do stuff today but I don't want to disturb the grand dog.
20230108_095819.jpg

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Silly observation but @Andy Mink got me pondering with the pic .. and what looks like 3 doggie beds/pads.

but as I'm at work and going from memory, I must have at least 10 doggie beds .. got 3 dogs so maybe it's not too bad? I just accumulated them much to my spouses original displeasure .. good thing she's grown to not mind em.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Silly observation but @Andy Mink got me pondering with the pic .. and what looks like 3 doggie beds/pads.

but as I'm at work and going from memory, I must have at least 10 doggie beds .. got 3 dogs so maybe it's not too bad? I just accumulated them much to my spouses original displeasure .. good thing she's grown to not mind em.
There are 3 there and two more upstairs. For one full time dog and one part time dog.

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
No downer meant but I was reviewing a respected breeder and ran across her advice regarding a pets aging and when needs to make hard decisions:

DesmoDog

Getting off the lift
Skier
I should have known there was a dog thread here... not surprisingly I can play along with this. Let me ramble for a while, but first apologize to Abbey, who was with us before digital photography was common so I haven't got any pics of her handy. She was beautiful though, a golden retriever/collie mix with the most wonderful personality.

Here is Desmo, my usernamesake, just shy of his 17th birthday. The anti-retriever who very late in life got DNA tested to discover he was hardly a retriever at all. That explained a lot about his behavior over the years. Awesome dog. Weird sense of humor. I once saw him punch a guy... below the belt. Not a swat, a real punch, a right jab. Put the guy on the floor, and Desi just sat down next to him, wagging his tail. The guy's daughter was laughing so hard she was crying.
IMG_2809.JPG

His "sister" Sophia. I don't want to play favorites but I will. She was my favorite dog ever. Didn't start out that way, she got on my last nerve on numerous occasions at first. But it didn't end up that way. I don't recall when it changed, but she became my girl. I have scratches on my arms that remain light colored when I get a tan. They are affectionately referred to as my Sophie scars because she's the one who put them there. I like seeing them. She's been gone a while now too, and the scars are fading. Bums me out. She passed away much too young. F'ing cancer.
Sophia_3023.jpg

This photo wasn't posed, in her younger days she copied things Desmo did. He ignored her for the most part, until she got into something. If another dog wanted to get to her, that dog had to go through Desmo first. Typical big brother stuff. _I_ can pick on her, _YOU_ can not.
dogs_3770_m.jpg

The 'treiver twins. What a pair they made... Guys, if you want to meet women, walk an adult and a puppy retriever together. Twice when I was walking them, a woman stopped her car and got out to come see them.
IMG_1957.JPG

After Desmo, my wife and I decided to wait until I retired to get another dog. That meant a couple years.

Yeah, right. Maybe six weeks later I got a call, I was to meet her at the humane society after work. She had seen an ad for an 8 year old border collie/australian shepard mix. I got there, we walked the little guy. He had ZERO interest in me. Walked away when I tried to pet him. Ignored me on the walk. Wouldn't look at us. All in all he seemed entirely overwhelmed by where he was.

The place was getting ready to close by the time our walk was over. When we got back they asked my wife if she wanted them to place him on hold for a day or two so we could think about it. She said "No. We're not leaving him in here another night"

The "no" part didn't surprise me much. What followed did. I wasn't really expecting that, but ok. When I picked him up to put him in the car he didn't fight me but still ignored me. Once in the car he sat there calm as could be, looking out the window and then laying down. No drama, no bouncing around, no excitement.

I wasn't sure about this, but the next morning I took this picture of him. He started coming out of his shell pretty quickly. My wife left town the next day for a weekend with friends so him and I spent the weekend bonding. He's her dog... but I think he likes me best now. ;-)
IMG_3087.JPG

Out of all our dogs he has been the biggest handful - he's got issues with anxiety and when he goes off the deep end it's nothing a Thundershirt will touch. It takes much more to keep him sane - We're talking a cocktail of prescription meds given to him long before the storm hits. But he's a good guy. He loves going on walks, it's not uncommon to have people comment on how happy he looks when he's prancing down the trail. And USUALLY his anxiety leads to making messes with no real damage. His go-to move is tossing pillows. I forget what got him this time, but when I got home he seemed pretty proud about his little hissy fit. The bed was made when I left...
IMG_3238.jpeg

He's pretty much his own dog. When we're out and othere dogs we pass are going nuts and barking/growling/pulling he will usually just ignore them but occassionally gives them a "what the heck is your malfunction?" look as we go by. There are a lot of deer around here so it's common to see them. He doesn't react, if anything he just watches them do whatever they're doing. They don't bug him, he doesn't bug them. Seems to be his outlook on life.
Ollie_6931.jpg

He's been with us a few years now, has settled in pretty well, and may be a little spoiled...
P1000219.JPG

Sponsor

Staff online