• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Tried out the new AT gear today.
Not the most colorful kit.:ogbiggrin:
Replacing my ‘wide’ ski, Wayback 106, with something a hair less wide, a Backland 100 (on the left) mostly for our upcoming trip to Europe in March. Blame @jmeb .
This is also a really light ski, 1424g, for a 188 cm long, 100mm wide ski!
Ihave it mounted with the ATK Crest 10. Shimmed the toe piece because the high ramp angle on those doesn’t work well for me.
Skied well today on a messy blue groomer, but will have put it in some more demanding terrain to really sus it out. The Wayback skied great for me: strong enough, but easy to slarve and picot, even in deeper funky snow and at slower speeds.

Then the Backland 85 UL. Replacing a Faction Agent 1.0. Same length and width, but much lighter. The Agents were quite heavy for a touring ski, and the 85 UL are some of the lightest.
Since I know have a bigger ski that isn’t quite so wide, and lighter than the Agent 1.0, I didn’t need a beefy ‘skinny ski’ in the touring quiver.
Not only saves a lot of weight, but all reports indicate a stronger edge hood too. And, a less curved up tail will be easier to naam in snow to keep them secure or build an anchor,
While I was at it, I swapped out the Crest bindings for the Haute Route’s(Well, BD Helio’s, losing the brakes and length compensation, but retaining the adjustable lateral and vertical release, length adjustment and crampon hooks.

Final piece of the upgrade was Backland Carbon boots (thanks @onenerdykid) Replacing my Dalbello Quantum Free boots.
Ironically, these (well the old version with the Boa) were in the running for my first new AT boots 2 years ago, because they fit my foot very well, and walked amazing. But, at the time I was worried they would be supportive enough, especially with my fairly wide skis. But since then I got the Quantum Free’s, found out they are not that stiff, and that was fine for me.
The Backlands fit me even better than the Quantums, ski the same, weigh a lot less and have a much shorter outsole (also because I had to size up in the Quantum’s, and because they are ISO 9523 compliant for Shift, Kingpin and frame bindings). But, the shorter sole walks better on rock, and strides a hair better on skis too. It might be for the best, because the delay got me an updated, much better liner (which I haven’t used yet, because I had Palau liners in my Quantum’s, already molded for me) and better buckles.

Combining Boots, skis and bindings (on the skinny skis), I saved 815 grams total for the wide set up, and 1325 grams for the narrow ski set up.
85UL‘s feel absolutely amazing on the up with those bindings and boots, it’s like sneakers!

And, on the descent they skied great too, easy to pivot and skid, but fun, lively carving with great bite too.

1250779B-02BE-4F8F-A6F4-9D124CDF2D46.jpeg
52FD5814-AED1-40B2-BDF9-14DAE166BD69.jpeg

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Tried out the new AT gear today.
Not the most colorful kit.:ogbiggrin:
Replacing my ‘wide’ ski, Wayback 106, with something a hair less wide, a Backland 100 (on the left) mostly for our upcoming trip to Europe in March. Blame @jmeb .
This is also a really light ski, 1424g, for a 188 cm long, 100mm wide ski!
Ihave it mounted with the ATK Crest 10. Shimmed the toe piece because the high ramp angle on those doesn’t work well for me.
Skied well today on a messy blue groomer, but will have put it in some more demanding terrain to really sus it out. The Wayback skied great for me: strong enough, but easy to slarve and picot, even in deeper funky snow and at slower speeds.

Then the Backland 85 UL. Replacing a Faction Agent 1.0. Same length and width, but much lighter. The Agents were quite heavy for a touring ski, and the 85 UL are some of the lightest.
Since I know have a bigger ski that isn’t quite so wide, and lighter than the Agent 1.0, I didn’t need a beefy ‘skinny ski’ in the touring quiver.
Not only saves a lot of weight, but all reports indicate a stronger edge hood too. And, a less curved up tail will be easier to naam in snow to keep them secure or build an anchor,
While I was at it, I swapped out the Crest bindings for the Haute Route’s(Well, BD Helio’s, losing the brakes and length compensation, but retaining the adjustable lateral and vertical release, length adjustment and crampon hooks.

Final piece of the upgrade was Backland Carbon boots (thanks @onenerdykid) Replacing my Dalbello Quantum Free boots.
Ironically, these (well the old version with the Boa) were in the running for my first new AT boots 2 years ago, because they fit my foot very well, and walked amazing. But, at the time I was worried they would be supportive enough, especially with my fairly wide skis. But since then I got the Quantum Free’s, found out they are not that stiff, and that was fine for me.
The Backlands fit me even better than the Quantums, ski the same, weigh a lot less and have a much shorter outsole (also because I had to size up in the Quantum’s, and because they are ISO 9523 compliant for Shift, Kingpin and frame bindings). But, the shorter sole walks better on rock, and strides a hair better on skis too. It might be for the best, because the delay got me an updated, much better liner (which I haven’t used yet, because I had Palau liners in my Quantum’s, already molded for me) and better buckles.

Combining Boots, skis and bindings (on the skinny skis), I saved 815 grams total for the wide set up, and 1325 grams for the narrow ski set up.
85UL‘s feel absolutely amazing on the up with those bindings and boots, it’s like sneakers!

And, on the descent they skied great too, easy to pivot and skid, but fun, lively carving with great bite too.

View attachment 186105 View attachment 186106

Aaaaaahhh, we just HAVE to show @James these ski, that’ll make his day. Give him a pair of these, put him in the Oslo airport lounge and he is a happy bunny… :roflmao:

P.S. Seriously-the Backlands are great ski. I own the previous model in 95mm and very happy.

Last edited:

James

Out There
Instructor
Aaaaaahhh, we just HAVE to show @James these ski, that’ll make his day. Give him a pair of these, put him in the Oslo airport lounge and he is a happy bunny… :roflmao:

P.S. Seriously-the Backlands are great ski. I own the previous model in 95mm and very happy.
Actually, they would be perfect skiing down the Oslo Opera House.
Is the tip dished underneath?

Inside the gray airport-
7C01CE93-CB24-45B6-BEFC-9B63CCD2C78B.jpeg

3E3AF1F4-162A-478D-9458-A7C804728599.jpeg

Roof of the Opera House

0F7852B7-8F63-445F-AF28-85136A32FFC7.jpeg

Entry level Opera. Just like those skis.

C051296D-9A7A-4BF2-95B6-D5B4B415CFD2.jpeg

Inside. Very cool building.

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Replacing my all-mountain out West skis.
I have Technica Firebird skis for local hardpack groomers, so these are for soft days here in Minnesota and for taking as my only ski on trips out west.
We mostly ski ungroomed terrain, but if that is bad, groomers still need to be fun.
Lot’s of mogul runs, and tight trees.

I had K2 Marksmen. They served the purpose I bought them for: super easy to pivot, even in deep snow. I love that feeling, and making slarvy turns. They carved in a fun way at low speeds on softer groomers too.
But, I have given up on my attempts to learn to ski switch, so a twin tip is wasted on me. I also wished for a bit more stability in crud and chopped up snow.
At the same time, on hard snow and in groomers, 106mm underfoot is pretty wide.

Enter the QST 98, in 188. A touch narrower for quickness edge to edge, and I like to think my skills have improved enough to handle that width in deep snow.
Only a hair longer, but much more effective length (thanks to the removal of the rear twin tip).
Still deep rocker and taper lines, so should still be a fun, ‘loose‘ ski.
After much hemming and hawing, I did put Shifts on them. Not that I plan to tour much on them (see post above), but sometimes for travel, a single day of touring doesn’t warrant dragging a full AT set up along.
Also for lift accessed out of bounds (North America) or perhaps some day a trip to the Alps, with lift accessed off piste, with short skins to a run, or back to the lift along the bottom.

53FB0962-90DD-40BB-BD37-5E59D5B16B88.jpeg

scvaughn

Seeking altitude...
Skier
Out with the old, in with the new. I decided to treat myself to a pair of Nordica Pro Machine 130s, with a proper fitting. The old Dalbello DS 110 shells were a few mm too wide, the stock foot beds were never great, and my instructor of choice picked up on the issues. I can hardly wait to give these a proper break-in.

461D39CB-F016-417F-BFF8-E2A2427E5EB2.jpeg

Prosper

This is the way.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Got a 50% off coupon for ‘21-‘22 gear from the House and much to the dismay of my wife I couldn’t resist. Ended up getting skis for my 19yo daughter. Pretty good bargain. Hope she likes them.

Attachments

• 12B8CA31-3EE6-420A-A80D-C42F35EB8B5E.jpeg
    12B8CA31-3EE6-420A-A80D-C42F35EB8B5E.jpeg
    118.9 KB · Views: 31

slow yeti

Booting up
Skier
20221229_211127.jpg

Lange RS 110 MV with custom insoles, bought today at blacksheepsports in Munich. Really awesome guys there, great service! Spent a little more than I had originally planned, but I'm pretty convinced it was the right choice to invest in some well-fitting boots.

Can't wait to try them soon (they are replacing a pair of 20yr old hand-me-downs).

Shawn

Beep beep
Skier
SkiTalk contest prize :D

Didn't get a good picture as I immediately dropped them off at REI for DPS Phantom base treatment.

M-Pro 90's.

IMG_4821.jpeg

Also bought these for my dad earlier this year. The Rossi Exp 86 Basalt in 168. He's telling me he's skiing "so much stronger" this year "due to his conditioning program." But I know that it's from upgrading from his 160cm Rossi Bandits from 20+ years ago. Didn't tell him though. I'm just glad to make him feel a little stronger on the slopes. Mission accomplished.

At his weight, the Ti would have been a good choice, too, but I got a deal on the Basalts.

IMG_4822.jpeg

Paul Lutes

Making fresh tracks
Skier
View attachment 187228
Lange RS 110 MV with custom insoles, bought today at blacksheepsports in Munich. Really awesome guys there, great service! Spent a little more than I had originally planned, but I'm pretty convinced it was the right choice to invest in some well-fitting boots.

Can't wait to try them soon (they are replacing a pair of 20yr old hand-me-downs).

20 year old hand-me-downs?!?!?
Your feet are going to totally freak out.

bitflogger

Putting on skis
Skier
Or it could just be named after places in Michigan like most of their ski models.
Yes. The Thompson family who owns Shaggy's has roots in Michigan's UP and lives in northern MI where they make the skis. Brockway in the LES (lake effect snow) area is in WI but otherwise the model names are all places or landmarks near you if you pursue the MI/WI and Superior north shore skiing.

Look at Ahmeek on the ski graphics, and them look at Ahmeek in Google maps!

:)

anders_nor

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Who was on the Racetigers and how did he manage without heel pieces? :ogbiggrin: :ogbiggrin:
buddy bailed! so yeah noo skiiiing them

loving the new house, this is downstairs in basement, where the quad car garage is, allll mine! so I just go out that door and load stuff into the car while still beein indoors... such an amazing feeling!
the new ski car btw!

e-up, and no the skis are not touching dash because they are angled, and I now have 10cm clearnce, shifting into drive is a bit of a job though :D but cheap toll the 12 minute drive to the slope = yay!

Also I can now see the 3 main slopes I ski from my window and balcony from our master bedroom! before I had to go out to livingroom and balcony, improvement!

2023-01-02 19.10.07.jpg

bitflogger

Putting on skis
Skier
Replacing my all-mountain out West skis.
I have Technica Firebird skis for local hardpack groomers, so these are for soft days here in Minnesota and for taking as my only ski on trips out west.
We mostly ski ungroomed terrain, but if that is bad, groomers still need to be fun.
Lot’s of mogul runs, and tight trees.

I had K2 Marksmen. They served the purpose I bought them for: super easy to pivot, even in deep snow. I love that feeling, and making slarvy turns. They carved in a fun way at low speeds on softer groomers too.
But, I have given up on my attempts to learn to ski switch, so a twin tip is wasted on me. I also wished for a bit more stability in crud and chopped up snow.
At the same time, on hard snow and in groomers, 106mm underfoot is pretty wide.

Enter the QST 98, in 188. A touch narrower for quickness edge to edge, and I like to think my skills have improved enough to handle that width in deep snow.
Only a hair longer, but much more effective length (thanks to the removal of the rear twin tip).
Still deep rocker and taper lines, so should still be a fun, ‘loose‘ ski.
After much hemming and hawing, I did put Shifts on them. Not that I plan to tour much on them (see post above), but sometimes for travel, a single day of touring doesn’t warrant dragging a full AT set up along.
Also for lift accessed out of bounds (North America) or perhaps some day a trip to the Alps, with lift accessed off piste, with short skins to a run, or back to the lift along the bottom.

View attachment 186207
Enjoy. The QST have a great reputation. A friend is struggling between those and some Shaggy's.

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Yes. The Thompson family who owns Shaggy's has roots in Michigan's UP and lives in northern MI where they make the skis. Brockway in the LES (lake effect snow) area is in WI but otherwise the model names are all places or landmarks near you if you pursue the MI/WI and Superior north shore skiing.

Look at Ahmeek on the ski graphics, and them look at Ahmeek in Google maps!

:)
Brockway Mountain is in Copper Harbor, in the Keewenaw, in the UP of Michigan.
I always thought that’s what they were named after.
EFCDB6DA-C17B-41EB-ADEF-1326BCE121F2.jpeg

bitflogger

Putting on skis
Skier
Brockway Mountain is in Copper Harbor, in the Keewenaw, in the UP of Michigan.
I always thought that’s what they were named after.
View attachment 187754
My bad, typo. I know the area very well and the names are UP, but might have had a mess in the brain from just meeting the Shaggy's family in WI and discussing if Mt. Ashwaby was part of the Boho or IndyPass.

A drive through or Google 3D satellite view of actual Ahmeek is worth it for anyone thinking about that ski name LOL.

Sponsor