• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

The Never-Ending Atomic Ski Boot Discussion

JChockey22

Putting on skis
Skier
We officially say that shells and liners can be heat molded 5-ish times, but it can be more than that depending on a variety of variables. In reality, I don't ever see people needing it done more than twice, maybe three times. But even that I would put in the "rarely occurring" category.

The question is- are the changes you are introducing necessitate the need to re-heat the shell or liner? If you are simply changing footbeds, then I would highly doubt you need to remold the shell but perhaps the liner if the footbed repositioned your ankle a bit. If the new footbeds are very similar to the old ones, then you might not even need anything done because the internal foams have a bit of autocorrect in them.
the question was meant more of like the liner but my fitter has them dialed in perfect right now I just was curious / wanted piece of mind about the shells ( this right here is like an unknown perk of going with the Hawx this season being able to get answers right from Atomics head boot Honcho so thanks for that )

Miller

Putting on skis
Skier
It looks like the only difference between the 2021 and 2022 Atomic Hawx Prime 120 is the addition of Grip Walk. Is this correct? And if so, are there Grip Walk Soles that can be put on the 2021 model?

TS
onenerdykid

onenerdykid

Product Manager, Atomic Ski Boots
Masterfit Bootfitter
Manufacturer
It looks like the only difference between the 2021 and 2022 Atomic Hawx Prime 120 is the addition of Grip Walk. Is this correct? And if so, are there Grip Walk Soles that can be put on the 2021 model?
22/23 Hawx Prime (all models) has an updated liner construction that genuinely improves the fit: a new 3D stretch toe box. Better initial comfort and allows the boot fitter to successfully add length if needed.

You can put GripWalk on to any prior year Hawx Ultra, Prime or Magna.

Miller

Putting on skis
Skier
22/23 Hawx Prime (all models) has an updated liner construction that genuinely improves the fit: a new 3D stretch toe box. Better initial comfort and allows the boot fitter to successfully add length if needed.

When you say 22/23, you are referring this season's current boots? I am looking at last years (21/22) Prime 120, compared to the model from two years ago (20/21 season).

This is what I read for the 2022 boot. "The Atomic Hawx Prime 120 S GW Ski Boots are a major contender for best "all round freeride boot" for skiers of average or slightly wider foot dimensions. With last season's addition of the Mimic Platinum liner and this year's upgrade to Gripwalk sole pads, the fit and convenience margins of the Hawx Prime 120 continue to soar over the competition. Put yourself in a pair and watch your skiing soar as well."

TS
onenerdykid

onenerdykid

Masterfit Bootfitter
Manufacturer
When you say 22/23, you are referring this season's current boots? I am looking at last years (21/22) Prime 120, compared to the model from two years ago (20/21 season).

This is what I read for the 2022 boot. "The Atomic Hawx Prime 120 S GW Ski Boots are a major contender for best "all round freeride boot" for skiers of average or slightly wider foot dimensions. With last season's addition of the Mimic Platinum liner and this year's upgrade to Gripwalk sole pads, the fit and convenience margins of the Hawx Prime 120 continue to soar over the competition. Put yourself in a pair and watch your skiing soar as well."
Between 20/21 and 21/22, there are no technical changes between the model years. A few color updates and GripWalk comes into the range for 21/22.

JChockey22

Putting on skis
Skier

Just 1000% curious why they didn't add that toebox?
to the Ultra's liner ?

sparty

Out on the slopes
Skier
So I put on my Redster TIs Thursday, as our training lane for cancelled due to snow conditions and we were freeskiing (and drilling) instead. Seeing as I had gone skiing on the same skis on Tuesday but in my coaching boots (this year's Hawx XTD, with just a handful of days on them), it was an interesting comparison.

Attempting to drive my proper slalom skis with the XTD wasn't exactly ideal--it worked okay for low speed drills but not so much for actual turns, as I felt like I was getting very little fore/aft support from the boot but instead folding it. Putting the Redsters on, the power transfer is just right there, and I realized after the fact that it felt like the boots were no longer a real part of the equation but instead the skis were just attached to my feet.

While I wasn't terribly surprised that the skis worked a lot better driven by a race boot, the degree of change did surprise me. I haven't felt like the XTDs were lacking on any ski outside of the full race line, but with those slalom skis it's an almost night and day difference. I don't intend to repeat that part of the experiment (I don't love skiing with a boot/binding combo that's out of spec for release characteristics), but I'm not really curious as to how I'd feel about the Redster on my Bent Chets.

Hamburglar789

Booting up
Skier
I’m thinking of pulling the trigger on some Redster CS 130s. I’m coming from a few seasons on the Hawx Ultra 130’s, which I love and fit me better than any boot I’ve ever had… I just wish they were a little heavier and burlier as I’m 6’4” 205+lbs. I’m curious about a few things:

1) I know the Redster will be a bit more narrow than the Hawx… what other changes re: fit should I expect in comparison?
2) Does the Redster cuff/liner come up as high on the leg as the Hawx? That’s one thing I love about my Hawx is they come up higher on my leg than any other boot I’ve had.
3) How Achilles-friendly are the Redsters? I ruptured my Achilles 1.5 years ago. Thankfully, I was able to ski the entire last season, but I couldn’t wear my Lange RX130s anymore… too painful. However, never experienced any Achilles pain with the Hawx Ultra’s!

Side note: if Atomic made a heavier/burlier pair of the Hawx Ultra 130’s I’d probably buy enough pairs to last me a lifetime.

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
You should do it and you won't be disappointed. I will post my experience with a hawx ultra xtd versus a redster club sport. Similar to spartys post

Hamburglar789

Booting up
Skier
Dumb question… but what’s the difference between what appears to be the red “OG” version and the black “CTD” version? Any reason to try one over the other, or just get whatever’s cheaper?

DerKommissar

Getting on the lift
Skier
Question about the medium stiffness boots- for the Hawx Prime 110, is it truly stiffer than the Prime 100 or is it primarily a feature upgrade? Seems like the 100 could just be mostly decontenting to hit a price point.

TS
onenerdykid

onenerdykid

Masterfit Bootfitter
Manufacturer
Question about the medium stiffness boots- for the Hawx Prime 110, is it truly stiffer than the Prime 100 or is it primarily a feature upgrade? Seems like the 100 could just be mostly decontenting to hit a price point.
110 is a stiffer shell and a stiffer cuff, along with other feature upgrades like Power Shift, a Mimic liner and a more insulative boot board. 100 is a step down in material hardness and all features.

TS
onenerdykid

onenerdykid

Masterfit Bootfitter
Manufacturer
I’m thinking of pulling the trigger on some Redster CS 130s. I’m coming from a few seasons on the Hawx Ultra 130’s, which I love and fit me better than any boot I’ve ever had… I just wish they were a little heavier and burlier as I’m 6’4” 205+lbs. I’m curious about a few things:

1) I know the Redster will be a bit more narrow than the Hawx… what other changes re: fit should I expect in comparison?
2) Does the Redster cuff/liner come up as high on the leg as the Hawx? That’s one thing I love about my Hawx is they come up higher on my leg than any other boot I’ve had.
3) How Achilles-friendly are the Redsters? I ruptured my Achilles 1.5 years ago. Thankfully, I was able to ski the entire last season, but I couldn’t wear my Lange RX130s anymore… too painful. However, never experienced any Achilles pain with the Hawx Ultra’s!

Side note: if Atomic made a heavier/burlier pair of the Hawx Ultra 130’s I’d probably buy enough pairs to last me a lifetime.
1. Redster CS has a lower instep height, narrower heel, narrower ankle but if you fit an Ultra without issue it will be minor work to turn the CS into an all-day comfortable boot.
2. Cuff is slightly lower on the Redster CS, but we're talking single-digit mm. Liner tongue height up the shin is the same and that's basically what you feel. I haven't missed my Ultra in this regard in the slightest.
3. You should be fine then. If anything, it is a much more supportive boot and as such will place less strain on your Achilles (in other words, it does more of the work for you).
4. If you want a heavier/burlier pair of Hawx Ultras, you end up getting the Redster CS :)

Hamburglar789

Booting up
Skier
1. Redster CS has a lower instep height, narrower heel, narrower ankle but if you fit an Ultra without issue it will be minor work to turn the CS into an all-day comfortable boot.
2. Cuff is slightly lower on the Redster CS, but we're talking single-digit mm. Liner tongue height up the shin is the same and that's basically what you feel. I haven't missed my Ultra in this regard in the slightest.
3. You should be fine then. If anything, it is a much more supportive boot and as such will place less strain on your Achilles (in other words, it does more of the work for you).
4. If you want a heavier/burlier pair of Hawx Ultras, you end up getting the Redster CS :)
Do you happen to know if there’s any difference between the red colored Redster CS and the black “CTD” model? Sounds like the CTD model connects with some phone app that I probably wouldn’t care about, but if it’s the same boot it looks like I may be able to score a better deal on that version.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Do you happen to know if there’s any difference between the red colored Redster CS and the black “CTD” model? Sounds like the CTD model connects with some phone app that I probably wouldn’t care about, but if it’s the same boot it looks like I may be able to score a better deal on that version.

It looks to me these dont come with the Dual Strap and World Cup liner. The former you can probably live with but the latter is in my view much better than the Mimic Platinum.

Near Nyquist

At the edge of instability
Skier
Thanks all! Anyone have any highly recommended boot fitters in the Salt Lake City area?
Go see Brent

Sponsor

Staff online