• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

The Never-Ending Atomic Ski Boot Discussion

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Here is a pic of the Redster TI 150 Lifted (referring to the thicker sole construction):

View attachment 226864
You can even see the slight difference in surface finish between of the glossy regular sole and where the extra 5mm bottom is.

1708888199750.gif

:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

BLiP

Out on the slopes
Skier
Please try to convince a shop to order them if you can
I love my Atomic boots, and the wealth of information you provide on these forums. My one gripe is that other manufacturers make the ordering of spare parts much easier. The online shop is a great addition, but I’ve been able to call/email Nordica and have small items like nuts and screws mailed to me. I understand the logistical issues, but it would be great to see the same thing offered from Atomic/Amer Sports.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Thanks for this info! I own both the GP130 and the Promachine. A while back you suggested that I might really like the Redster CS

I've owned two of those. The Promachine and CS 130 are both great boots. Pro is kind of lively and maybe even "springy" while the CS 130 is somewhat more powerful, and damp. Dare I say playful vs. businesslike?

How does it compare to the Raptor WCR 140? I currently ski the Head but have become "Atomic curious."

I skied the older generation Raptor and the CS130. Pretty darn similar, with the biggest difference to me being the Atomic was warmer, and not just a little. The Raptor seemed colder than skiing barefoot would be.

@Bruno Schull: Good luck with the parts. Going forward, I have good luck with checking boot hardware tightness on my and Mrs. K's boots on the first ski day of each month, having once been in your shoes with an old Fischer boot. On a guys trip. To Jackson Hole. With lots of powder. Thanks to Teton Mountain Sports for a serviceable, if imperfect, repair!!!

salvatore

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I skied the older generation Raptor and the CS130. Pretty darn similar, with the biggest difference to me being the Atomic was warmer, and not just a little. The Raptor seemed colder than skiing barefoot would be.
That's helpful. I think I am an outlier in that I've never found the WCR to be really cold, although I do run them with Zipfits, which for me are warmer than most stock liners.

They can, however, be fun to take off when the temps are down! I'm guessing the CS is similar, since they are also quite burly?

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
They can, however, be fun to take off when the temps are down! I'm guessing the CS is similar, since they are also quite burly?

Truth. I pulled/tore a couple ankle tendons removing the Raptors on a 0 degree day. The CS was about the same, to the point I moved on (plus a Pro liner that I felt was not that great).

Between that, and a right knee that I'd rather finish destroying by skiing, not pulling a stiff boot off, I moved from the CS130 to the Speedmachine 3 130S which is OK, but I miss the power of a "real" 130.

And........I just recently realized that my new-ish Explorer has a 110 outlet, making a heat gun or blow dryer feasible in the parking lot, which has me thinking again about more of a "giddyup" boot.

BLiP

Out on the slopes
Skier
I haven’t had any problems getting the CS off. But I’ve really never had a problem getting any boot off, and I’ve been in some burly narrow race boots. Maybe something to look forward to as I continue to get older.

Alex Frost

Booting up
Skier
Is it regular edition or some kind of personal limited edition ? What is year of that model ?

Last edited:
TS
onenerdykid

onenerdykid

Product Manager, Atomic Ski Boots
Masterfit Bootfitter
Manufacturer
This is what is available in Europe when you want to buy a 23/24 Head Raptor 140 in black.
Sorry, the boot I had pictured was a 22/23 boot.

But they still make thicker soled boots that get routered in the factory and delivered to shops. It's a common complaint from the race shops that sell Head.

BLiP

Out on the slopes
Skier
I don't think that they will share such sensitive inside information with someone who even is not their customer.
Nothing sensitive about that. Whether a boot is lifted is basic information that a potential customer may want to know. Frankly, racers need to know. No proprietary secrets here. If it’s that important to you, no harm in sending an email.

Horizons

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Help! Atomic boot first aid!

I have a pair of Atomic Hawx Prime 130s boots.

While skiing, I somehow lost the some of the pivot hardware on the outside of the right boot.

I live in Switzerland, and I checked the online store, but I could not find the part that I needed. What part do I need to order, and where can I order it?

Just to be clear, no local shop will stock or order these parts--that's not how sports store in Switzerland generally work, unfortunately.

Also, how do these 2 year old boots (I think) compare are these the newest and coolest versions of the Hawx Primes? Do these still have the bestest and most awesomest plastics and features? Are there any real differences between these boots and the latest models?

Pictures below. Thanks!
Not sure if you figured this out yet but you can get this part from anything technical. either their website or on ebay.

James

Out There
Instructor
Hey @onenerdykid , thanks for all the awesome responses. Atomic really seems to be going places in boots.

Never skied an Atomic boot. Too bad we can’t demo boots, we just have to trust and plunk down $900.
Curious if the Atomic CS has a similar inside length to the current Head WCR 3 - the plug boot. (I assume that’s the one you’d recommend? No racing) I went down a shell size in that from the old Head BD3. I might try an Atomic, but I can’t deal with different size shells, I’ll lose my mind.

TS
onenerdykid

onenerdykid

Product Manager, Atomic Ski Boots
Masterfit Bootfitter
Manufacturer
Hey @onenerdykid , thanks for all the awesome responses. Atomic really seems to be going places in boots.

Never skied an Atomic boot. Too bad we can’t demo boots, we just have to trust and plunk down $900.
Curious if the Atomic CS has a similar inside length to the current Head WCR 3 - the plug boot. (I assume that’s the one you’d recommend? No racing) I went down a shell size in that from the old Head BD3. I might try an Atomic, but I can’t deal with different size shells, I’ll lose my mind.
I haven't run the comparison between the CS and the WCR 3 (real deal race boot) but I would imagine that the CS is a smidge longer internally. That's an educated guess on my part, but it's how all brands arrive at making a "CS" version- use the same outer mold as the real world cup boot but create a longer/wider/more spacious last to arrive at the "CS" version. I would stay with the same MP and take any extra mm to the bank.

salvatore

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Well, I took a shot and ordered a pair of Hawx Ultra 130 RS since they were on sale. They arrived yesterday, and while I think the fit is good for me (really like that deep heel pocket), they kind of felt like toys next to my Raptor WCR 140. They are incredibly light -- over a pound less per boot! -- but I know the result of that will be a loss of that great suspension that I currently enjoy. I'll be sending them back (unless someone has been looking for a pair of 25.5).

It sounds like the CS would be the way to go. On that front, I'm a bit confused. Is the CS changing for next season?

Sponsor