• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

The Never-Ending Atomic Ski Boot Discussion

TS
onenerdykid

onenerdykid

Product Manager, Atomic Ski Boots
Masterfit Bootfitter
Manufacturer
Well, I took a shot and ordered a pair of Hawx Ultra 130 RS since they were on sale. They arrived yesterday, and while I think the fit is good for me (really like that deep heel pocket), they kind of felt like toys next to my Raptor WCR 140. They are incredibly light -- over a pound less per boot! -- but I know the result of that will be a loss of that great suspension that I currently enjoy. I'll be sending them back (unless someone has been looking for a pair of 25.5).

It sounds like the CS would be the way to go. On that front, I'm a bit confused. Is the CS changing for next season?
If you're expecting the Ultra to feel/ski like your WCR... it won't. I won't even pretend to tell you it might.

The CS is the analog to the WCR 140. No change for 24/25.

salvatore

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
If you're expecting the Ultra to feel/ski like your WCR... it won't. I won't even pretend to tell you it might.

The CS is the analog to the WCR 140. No change for 24/25.
Ha! Yeah, knew that the CS was the equivalent model from Atomic, but rather than trade like for like, I thought I would add something different. I guess I just didn't expect the Hawx to be so light (yes, I read about it, but holding them in my hands really caught me by surprise).

I will say that I think the fit is really good for me, and while the flex was a bit too soft, it had a nice feel to it.

Thanks for clearing that up, too. I think it was on another thread where someone was speaking about a new CS. If there are no changes, I'll keep my eye out for a pair of this year's model. I'm sure my bootfitter will be thrilled to see me walk through the door with another pair of boots to work on!

PupManS

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@onenerdykid seeking your advice about frankenboot scenarios- Magna cuff on a Prime lower or something. I'm finding the Magna lower clogs a little big but the cuff is best I've had in 20 years so I'm searching for a compromise .

Background: 8.5E foot with high instep (bannock measurement is 26cm with 28.5cm ankle/instep measurement) and large, low-muscle calves. Narrow-ish heel.

Current Boots: Hawx Magna 25 shell

Other than a set of 24 shell San Marcos in my racing days (which hurt a lot despite extensive boot fitting) I've never had the ideal skiing boot- my high instep and large, low muscle calves have always required compromises. Prior to my new Magnas, my last two boots were medium volume (Nordica Speedmachines and Salomon X-Pros) where I cooked the boots to accommodate my forefoot width and calves, and did a bit of bootboard work to create instep room- which worked ok, except for I found that the way the cuff got distorted when they were cooked it tended to water down the flex and make them a bit nonlinear- which I had to then do some rivets, Booster straps, etc to get a skiable cuff. Still not that great, but skiable.

This time I decided to change it up with the Magnas based on the lower cuff design and found them fantastic at first. After the liner (heat molded mimic) was skied in though, I had basically a little too much volume in the whole lower clog. Heel lift issues, a bit of imprecision in the mid foot, etc. So, not ideal, but skiable. The cuff fit was and is the best cuff fit I've had in a very long time- the last time I had one fit like this it was my race boot days and we put a race stock ladies' SL cuff on my lowers. Hurt- but skied well. However, I don't race anymore and I like to put on my boots without assistance...so...

To fix that clog volume, first thing I tried was a Mimic Pro foam liner from a trusted shop (Bestfit boots). This helped with heel pocket- not as well as I have had in my prior MV boots, but passable, and took up the forefoot volume. Still a little too much room on the inside edge heel and mid foot. So, still not sure where to go.

To me, I have 3 options:

1) Buy a new set of Primes and see if we could frankenboot the magna cuffs I love so much on there- your thoughts appreciated. I think if I just go back to a MV boot I'll be trading the clog issues for cuff issues unless there is a MV boot with a Magna like cuff.
2) Keep working with the Mimic Pro liners- either add extra high density padding on the outside, or get new ones made and push in more foam than the recommended amount for my 25 shell
3) Firmer liner like a Zipfit where I can keep adding firm fill until we get it right.

#1 makes sense in my head, but no idea if it will work.

Chessie

Booting up
Skier
Other than a set of 24 shell San Marcos in my racing days (which hurt a lot despite extensive boot fitting) I've never had the ideal skiing boot- my high instep and large, low muscle calves have always required compromises.
Were those the Sanmarco Top Racer (aka TR) of the 1970's? (I don't know your age). A friend of mine had the same, trickled down from a national team skier. They were beasts.

TS
onenerdykid

onenerdykid

Masterfit Bootfitter
Manufacturer
To me, I have 3 options:

1) Buy a new set of Primes and see if we could frankenboot the magna cuffs I love so much on there- your thoughts appreciated. I think if I just go back to a MV boot I'll be trading the clog issues for cuff issues unless there is a MV boot with a Magna like cuff.
2) Keep working with the Mimic Pro liners- either add extra high density padding on the outside, or get new ones made and push in more foam than the recommended amount for my 25 shell
3) Firmer liner like a Zipfit where I can keep adding firm fill until we get it right.

#1 makes sense in my head, but no idea if it will work.
#1 won't work because the ankle positions of Magna are way wider than Prime and the rear cuff seat (where the rear-center of the cuff contacts the heel shelf) are different geometries.
#2 could work but you might have to get a thicker liner to start. Either go with something full-foam (Sidas, Boot Doc, Sure Foot, or #3 ZipFits.

PupManS

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
#1 won't work because the ankle positions of Magna are way wider than Prime and the rear cuff seat (where the rear-center of the cuff contacts the heel shelf) are different geometries.
#2 could work but you might have to get a thicker liner to start. Either go with something full-foam (Sidas, Boot Doc, Sure Foot, or #3 ZipFits.
Thanks @onenerdykid, super helpful to narrow the range of options. I'm guessing that you think pushing more foam (obviously a whole new liner, I know you can't add foam after it's done) into an Atomic foam liner is unlikely to work? A shame, because I really like the liner- it was WAY BETTER than an experience with Conformables years back.

Crumb

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
@onenerdykid I have a question for you. I am currently in a Head WCR 3 with a race fit and just a grind for the big toe and small grind on the side of foot. I am 6’2” 165 pounds with extremely low volume feet and calves. The boot fits perfect in the clog but I need a shim to take up volume in the cuff. I was curious about the STI 130 or TI 130 and how they would compare fit wise and or flex. I also like how much more customizable and accessible the Atomic eco system is compared to Head.

chris_the_wrench

Spinning wrenches and throwing spokes.
Skier
I am currently in a Head WCR 3 with a race fit and just a grind for the big toe and small grind on the side of foot. I am 6’2” 165 pounds with extremely low volume feet and calves. The boot fits perfect in the clog but I need a shim to take up volume in the cuff. I was curious about the STI 130 or TI 130 and how they would compare fit wise and or flex.
Im not @onenerdykid but I skied the raptor pro(98 last, i think) for several years and switched to the ti130 last season. The ti is a lower volume boot(95, i think), and needed a bit more work to get my foot into it. The ti ankle hold is better for my skinny ankles but the toe box height has more volume than the heads(thankfully because the heads felt like cheese graters on the too of my toe knuckles). I feel the heads are stiffer than the ti, so i might goto the 150’s next time and soften them to where i want them. My skinny calves need padding/spoilers in both boots. Btw, Im 6’3” about 190 these days. My opinions, not necessarily fact!

TS
onenerdykid

onenerdykid

Masterfit Bootfitter
Manufacturer
@onenerdykid I have a question for you. I am currently in a Head WCR 3 with a race fit and just a grind for the big toe and small grind on the side of foot. I am 6’2” 165 pounds with extremely low volume feet and calves. The boot fits perfect in the clog but I need a shim to take up volume in the cuff. I was curious about the STI 130 or TI 130 and how they would compare fit wise and or flex. I also like how much more customizable and accessible the Atomic eco system is compared to Head.

Im not @onenerdykid but I skied the raptor pro(98 last, i think) for several years and switched to the ti130 last season. The ti is a lower volume boot(95, i think), and needed a bit more work to get my foot into it. The ti ankle hold is better for my skinny ankles but the toe box height has more volume than the heads(thankfully because the heads felt like cheese graters on the too of my toe knuckles). I feel the heads are stiffer than the ti, so i might goto the 150’s next time and soften them to where i want them. My skinny calves need padding/spoilers in both boots. Btw, Im 6’3” about 190 these days. My opinions, not necessarily fact!

@Crumb - what Chris said. The TI will be a lower volume boot than the WCR 3, and STI will be a noticeable step lower than the TI. In terms of customization options, you're only going to be limited by you boot fitter. These boots are like blank canvases to do what needs to be done.

Alex Frost

Booting up
Skier
@onenerdykid , could you tell, please, about differences between Redster WC 19-20 and current Redster TI ? I know that WC has 92 mm last, TI - 95. But how 'bout real forefoot feel in WC ?

TS
onenerdykid

onenerdykid

Masterfit Bootfitter
Manufacturer
@onenerdykid , could you tell, please, about differences between Redster WC 19-20 and current Redster TI ? I know that WC has 92 mm last, TI - 95. But how 'bout real forefoot feel in WC ?
Last-wise, they will fit/feel very similar in the forefoot. The bigger difference is in the rear of the boot. WC has more ankle space, wider heel base, tighter Achilles area. The rear of the WC last was made in response to all of the ankle punching and heel grinding frequently done to a TI.

timbat

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Anyone know where to get the Atomic Dual Compound Lifters, either:

a) online
b) SLC/Park City area ?

TIA!

Floyd47

Putting on skis
Skier
Anyone know where to get the Atomic Dual Compound Lifters, either:

a) online
b) SLC/Park City area ?

TIA!
A couple months ago I ordered a pair of dual component lifters over the phone from The Boot Pro in Ludlow, VT.

Also see this response from ONK earlier in the thread for the same question - you can’t buy them online.
You can only buy them in shops (not online - it's a legal thing). You'll need to have at least an authorized Atomic retailer order them for you. Off the top of my head, I would call up A Racer's Edge in Breckenridge, CO or Rodger's Ski & Sport in Lincoln, NH.
View attachment 213842
Once added to a boot, the boot no longer fits into bindings (hence the legal thing). You therefore need to make sure your boot fitter has the proper tools to measure, router, and finish the boot's toes and heels.

Joby Graham

Getting off the lift
Skier
Hi @onenerdykid - I'm in a Hawx Ultra 120s GW (2021/27.5) with a Professional liner. The fit is great and I like their light weight, but they're extremely difficult to get on and off, even when warm. Specifically, the upper part of the clog overlap under the cuff tries its best to slice my fingers trying to insert or pull my foot out. Can that area of the clog be trimmed back or modified in any way? I've tried booting up racer style, but that's even more difficult. Are there any other boots in the Atomic line-up with similar performance, but easier entry/exit?

Thank you for all your help on this forum!

TS
onenerdykid

onenerdykid

Masterfit Bootfitter
Manufacturer
There is a direct relationship between high performance and difficult step in. You can't get high performance with easy step in.

The best technique is:
-when getting your foot into the boot, do not pull the tongue straight up. You will never get into a boot this way.
-using one hand, pull the tongue to the outside and with your other hand, open the plastic of the lower shell.

You should get right in if you follow those steps.

Sponsor