• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

The Never-Ending Faction Discussion

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Imagine sitting at the top of a run and it’s Candide about to drop in while you have your camera out.

1710269569115.gif

Checked the Dancer 2.0 today.The look and feel mighty fine, very nice.

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
More tapered than the CT/Mana line and traditional soft tip/tails and stiffer underfoot like most skis. Decent weight and longer radius but a softer flex pattern overall.
Thanks! Sounds like a ski I would like. The reason I ask is that I am going Heli-skiing in a couple of weeks & the Prodigy 4.0 is one of the skis they have in a length (185cm) that would work for me. The other option would be the La Machine 5 Max in a 178cm or 186cm but with a 126mm waist I think it is too wide for my liking (5'9", 155lbs.) unless it is super deep, light snow which I am not counting on the first week of April in a maritime snowpack.
1710279727471.jpeg

TS
GregK

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Thanks! Sounds like a ski I would like. The reason I ask is that I am going Heli-skiing in a couple of weeks & the Prodigy 4.0 is one of the skis they have in a length (185cm) that would work for me. The other option would be the La Machine 5 Max in a 178cm or 186cm but with a 126mm waist I think it is too wide for my liking (5'9", 155lbs.) unless it is super deep, light snow which I am not counting on the first week of April in a maritime snowpack.
View attachment 229167
Prodigy 4 would be perfect for Heli Skiing and a great choice. You’d require less mass there vs heavy resort crud so the Prodigy would be looser and fun in trees and untracked powder. Move the mount up to the Progressive or New School for your size on the 185cm as it will have plenty of float still but easier to pivot. Traditional mount is very conservative on those skis(and the Dancers).

TS
GregK

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Checked the Dancer 2.0 today.The look and feel mighty fine, very nice.
See lots of them out West as they would be a great daily driver here. Anyone wanting a more playful Enforcer or Mantra or a ski similar to a Stance or Peak should consider them. Wished the Dancer 1.0 was heavier as it would be a great East Coast daily driver/all mountain ski.

nascent

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Are these a good deal? I’m unfamiliar with the bindings. Also, how is the durability of the Dancer line or Factions in general?

SpeedyKevin

Out on the slopes
Skier
Are these a good deal? I’m unfamiliar with the bindings. Also, how is the durability of the Dancer line or Factions in general?

Not sure about the bindings but have the dancer 2 and 3. Haven't had any durability issues

ARL67

Invisible Airwaves Crackle With Life
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

That binding looks like your typical Tyrolia PRD system-binding -> used on a b'zillion skis. So you can easily adjust for BSL and/or move the mount point front/back

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor

They do look like a good deal (not a steal), at least from the US they are a steal at $490 with bindings and all) and demo bindings are ALWAYS a plus in my book. I would call it a good price. @GregK is more on top of these things though.

In terms of durability, I have two pairs of factions: the 2021 CT 1.0 and the 2024 Agent 3. They have both been treated very rough off-piste, and the CT's have quite a few more days. Both have been structurally sound. Topsheets, if you care, are easy to chip on the CTs, very durable on the Agents.

Hope this helps, and you enjoy them if you get them. I really like both of my factions - previous skis were mostly head for piste and nordica for offpiste. There is something about how Faction designs their skis that fits my skiing very well and makes very happy :)

TS
GregK

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier

Agree with the others above that I’d skip those bindings if possible as they are just entry level demo bindings for about $200 in their cost. I’d rather put an Attack 14 or something on them that you can get for less than that.

All current Factions made in the Atomic plant so no issue on build quality whatsoever.

I’d also consider the Prodigy 2 or 1 as they are also fantastic skis with a very similar shape and flex pattern to the Dancer line but actually have more mass to them. The Dancer uses a very light core and 2 very thin sheets of metal vs the Prodigy that just has metal underfoot for binding retention but a heavier weight core. Prodigy actually a quieter, more damp ski especially in the 1 and 2 compared to the Dancer line.

I’d also want to get 40% off retail as most other places doing that online now that it’s Spring.

nascent

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Agree with the others above that I’d skip those bindings if possible as they are just entry level demo bindings for about $200 in their cost. I’d rather put an Attack 14 or something on them that you can get for less than that.

All current Factions made in the Atomic plant so no issue on build quality whatsoever.

I’d also consider the Prodigy 2 or 1 as they are also fantastic skis with a very similar shape and flex pattern to the Dancer line but actually have more mass to them. The Dancer uses a very light core and 2 very thin sheets of metal vs the Prodigy that just has metal underfoot for binding retention but a heavier weight core. Prodigy actually a quieter, more damp ski especially in the 1 and 2 compared to the Dancer line.

I’d also want to get 40% off retail as most other places doing that online now that it’s Spring.

I posted this thread looking for potentially a new ski for cruddy conditions (https://www.skitalk.com/threads/empty-spot-in-quiver-mid-90-mm.33765/#post-973456). The Dancer 2 and Mantra were recommended quite a few times. I also considered the Commander 92 but they're One-Oh-Something in my size for this year (and also maybe a bit risky to blind buy as they seem very burly). The Ranger 96 is probably not as strong but as also an interesting option. Would you still recommend that I consider the Prodigy 1/2 as well?

With the Mantra M7 coming in the fall, I'm tempted to wait and demo before purchasing perhaps closer to end of next season. I'm not too sure where I can find Faction or Fischer demos in Ontario though.

That being said, I might just end up deciding I'm perfectly happy with my 2 ski quiver of the BC Divus and Moment WC 108 lol

TS
GregK

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
I posted this thread looking for potentially a new ski for cruddy conditions (https://www.skitalk.com/threads/empty-spot-in-quiver-mid-90-mm.33765/#post-973456). The Dancer 2 and Mantra were recommended quite a few times. I also considered the Commander 92 but they're One-Oh-Something in my size for this year (and also maybe a bit risky to blind buy as they seem very burly). The Ranger 96 is probably not as strong but as also an interesting option. Would you still recommend that I consider the Prodigy 1/2 as well?

With the Mantra M7 coming in the fall, I'm tempted to wait and demo before purchasing perhaps closer to end of next season. I'm not too sure where I can find Faction or Fischer demos in Ontario though.

That being said, I might just end up deciding I'm perfectly happy with my 2 ski quiver of the BC Divus and Moment WC 108 lol
I’m from London, Ontario myself and ski about 30 days at MSLM and Blue Mountain before heading out West for trips. Will send you a Corbett’s contact as they won’t be near for pricing in North America.

Definitely skip the Ranger line-too soft, light and too much taper to be good in Ontario.

Mantra 7 might be decent if they are quieter than the the Mantra 6.

The new Anomaly 88 or 94 might be a great bet for next year as it should be more playful than the old Brahma 88 but still be damp and quiet. Little taper so should bite in the former mornings but have good weight for the afternoons.

Blackops 98 another easy rec as it’s quiet, good grip and stability and can find those around $500 CAN right now. Would choose it over a Dancer 2 or Prodigy 2 even. Unleashed 98 another solid option too.

GB_Ski

Out on the slopes
Skier
Silly question. I've been skiing my CT 1.0 2021 (?) this whole season in all conditions here Hudson Valley, NY. They are a good charger skis. Anyway, I demo a few skis, nothing really caught my eyes except the Kendo 88. I'm wondering if Kendo 88 is a good replacement for my CT 1.0.

TS
GregK

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Silly question. I've been skiing my CT 1.0 2021 (?) this whole season in all conditions here Hudson Valley, NY. They are a good charger skis. Anyway, I demo a few skis, nothing really caught my eyes except the Kendo 88. I'm wondering if Kendo 88 is a good replacement for my CT 1.0.
I’d say they are fairly different skis with the Kendo 88 being much lighter, having a much more traditional mount point, a flat tail and carbon tips vs rubber damp tips. The heavier and more damp Brahma 88(or 82) would be a closer feel to the 21 CT 1.0 but still much more traditional in mount and tail splay.
The new Blizzard Anomaly 84 or 88 a bit more playful but still pretty traditional ski.
The new Enforcer 89 might be the closest match in a non twin tip ski to the CT 1.0 based on early reviews.

Still the only ski around that 90mm width that’s similar in feel and performance would be the JSkis Fastforward that will be a lot more expensive than you probably paid for the CT 1.0.
Think the closest match to a 21 CT 1.0 or 2.0 that you can get for a deal now would be the Rossignol Blackops 98. Very similar sidecut and shape to the 21 CT and has tip/tail rubber damping and some metal underfoot. Can be had for $500 CAN/$380 US right now.

GB_Ski

Out on the slopes
Skier
I’d say they are fairly different skis with the Kendo 88 being much lighter, having a much more traditional mount point, a flat tail and carbon tips vs rubber damp tips. The heavier and more damp Brahma 88(or 82) would be a closer feel to the 21 CT 1.0 but still much more traditional in mount and tail splay.
The new Blizzard Anomaly 84 or 88 a bit more playful but still pretty traditional ski.
The new Enforcer 89 might be the closest match in a non twin tip ski to the CT 1.0 based on early reviews.

Still the only ski around that 90mm width that’s similar in feel and performance would be the JSkis Fastforward that will be a lot more expensive than you probably paid for the CT 1.0.
Think the closest match to a 21 CT 1.0 or 2.0 that you can get for a deal now would be the Rossignol Blackops 98. Very similar sidecut and shape to the 21 CT and has tip/tail rubber damping and some metal underfoot. Can be had for $500 CAN/$380 US right now.
Hmm... I didn't love the Anomaly line. Can't describe it, I feel I give up too much performance in everything. I rather ski CT 1.0 @ 178cm. I also demo Rustler 9 2025 at 174, way too soft for my taste, I like the 180, but too long for moguls and trees.

Never ski the BlackOps 98, but I suspect they are too wide for my taste. Maybe I'm asking for too much. I can ski CT 1.0 just fine, but I want something lighter and a bit more playful (less chargy?). Kendo 88 felt good, but don't have extended experience to make a purchase decision to replace my CT 1.0.

TS
GregK

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Kendo 88 felt good, but don't have extended experience to make a purchase decision to replace my CT 1.0.
Kendo 88 is never replacing a CT 1.0 if you like the CT 1.0. Very different skis.
The problem is you’re trying to replace a ski that’s still the reference standard in it’s width 3 years later. Have to give up something in performance somewhere.

The demo place have any of the new Enforcer 89 skis? Maybe try it in a shorter length as it should have more backbone and mass than the Rustler line.

GB_Ski

Out on the slopes
Skier
Kendo 88 is never replacing a CT 1.0 if you like the CT 1.0. Very different skis.
The problem is you’re trying to replace a ski that’s still the reference standard in it’s width 3 years later. Have to give up something in performance somewhere.

The demo place have any of the new Enforcer 89 skis? Maybe try it in a shorter length as it should have more backbone and mass than the Rustler line.
Thanks! I don't want a like for like replacement. I want a different feel, maybe more playful but cover similar conditions.

ARL67

Invisible Airwaves Crackle With Life
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@GB_Ski I am also a CT 1.0 178 guy and ski with Greg a few times a year. I love the CT for its dampness, very good edge-hold, and it's ability to change character with a slide of my demo binding.

That said, I too am dabbling in an 88, not to replace the CT, but to give me another choice. For where I ski 95% of the time, I go with either the CT 1.0 178 or a Laser AR 175 (with piston plate) and would like something in-between. For fun I grabbed a New $Cheap MX88 but in the shorter 173 length to dabble with. Not exactly a light bendy shapely ski, but I think its shape, shorter length, and hollow-tech tip ( low swing-weight ) should be what I'm after. I still want such a ski to be more groomer-oriented vs say the FX 86ti. Heck I'm even going to break with my demo-binding tradition and install Pivot 12 that I snagged new yesterday. The Brahma 82 173 and Kendo 170/177 were also high on my list, but I e-Bay sniped a great deal on the MX88, so a no $Lose experiment.

FWIW there was a demo event and I wanted to take out the Brahma 82, but arrived just as they closed down. The guy said "dude, wait for the Anomaly 84, it is really good", even though the retailer still has stock on the Brahmas. But you never know until they are under your own feet.

GB_Ski

Out on the slopes
Skier
@ARL67 I demo Anomaly 84 at 176. They didn't work for me. I feel they are basically 75-80% of CT. So I don't see a reason to get them. Haven't tried the Anomaly 88. I also demo the Montero, they are smooth but as boring as it gets.

You might be onto something with the MX line. I love the old MX84, still hunting for a pair, but I might get the new 83 to call it a day. I heard a lot of mixed review on MX88.

I'll keep my eyes open for a kendo/kenja (170).

TS
GregK

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
See, the MX line I could see as it offers something different and potentially better than a CT ski in certain conditions. It’s non tapered tail offers more and quicker bite on firm groomers while being damp and stable like the CT. More traditional mount again so you could go shorter as it will ski longer than a more center mounted twin.

Then I picture the 173cm Enforcer 89 a mix of an MX and CT. More playful but less precise than the MX but easier at lower speeds and in bumps.

Sponsor

Staff online