• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

The Never-Ending Peak By Bode Miller Skis Discussion Thread

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I've not been on the Augment 98, but provisionally, to me, probably, the only thing that keeps the Peak 98 from being as refined as any rival could be, least with the 184 length, is that length is just slightly too short, in speed situations. It is easy to adjust for this by staying more on edge and at a bit higher angle in the fall line, but still, it is a slight bit of being less dialed in, though probably easily fixable for the next season's version.

For me, the Head Rd Rebel World Cup iSpeeds - and the Crosson 78 (the recent Bode ski in a narrower width slot for now) - work better in terms of refinement than the Stockli Lasers I've been on (other than the WRT versions).

Also, for my profile at least, the FIS versions still tend to be the gold standard for most brands, when the skis are frontsiders.

Last edited:

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
Stockli has the premium ski market in the US all for themselves. Parenthetically, that is a rather sad outcome for us, people who fall between sizes in Stockli lineup.
Black Crows are premium priced. The first year that the ski shop were I used to work carried Black Crows, we sold hardly any to the public but almost all the staff, including me, bought them at employee prices; some bought 2 pairs.

The very light weight Black Crows Atris was the first ski over 100mm wide under foot (Atris is 108) that I have skied that I liked enough to buy. So yeah, I think Black Crows are a premium ski company.

East Coast Scott

Getting off the lift
Skier
If I remember correctly, Augment is not available in the US next year (and this year), so the comparison is rather academic. If anyone found a way to import freeride Augments here, please share... Of course purchasing a $1,500 ski without a warranty looks like a rather risky proposition. The sad reality is that with Augment out of the country and Kastle having moved downmarket, Stockli has the premium ski market in the US all for themselves. Parenthetically, that is a rather sad outcome for us, people who fall between sizes in Stockli lineup.
Just curious what’s down market about Kastle? I love my Kastle FX96 HP’s. I’d hate to be seen on a down market ski Might have to go to Stokll so I stand while waiting in line

edit: Don’t know why my laughy faces aren’t showing up, lol

Alexzn

Ski Squaw
Skier
Kastle is still a good ski, just not as great as the Austrian-made Kastle used to be. The prices reflect that. The production moved to Czech republic.

Yarecki

Putting on skis
Skier
Just received my Peak 98s the other day. They’re at the shop now, getting proper mounted with Forza 15s…

I gotta say - in person the Peaks look absolutely fabulous, my initial complaint was that the graphics were kind of “meh” upon seeing them online, but in person they look amazing, very high quality.

Can’t wait to ski them this weekend!

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
Just received my Peak 98s the other day. They’re at the shop now, getting proper mounted with Forza 15s…

I gotta say - in person the Peaks look absolutely fabulous, my initial complaint was that the graphics were kind of “meh” upon seeing them online, but in person they look amazing, very high quality.

Can’t wait to ski them this weekend!
Please keep us informed. I'm looking forward to your review.

Giotto

Di Bondone
Skier
Got a chance to ski the 98s for the first time, a day after a reportedly fabulous 21" dump. I have the 184cm, me @180cm and 193lbs. That keyhole has some magic to it, they turn quicker than the side cut when pressured and set on edge. The livery is better than 3/4 of the skis. Fun-tastic skis; they do ski short. Has anybody mounted them -1 or -2? There seems to be plenty of tail for that.

Now skiing short was not a problem for bumps and the Wild Katz test (steep and narrow tree run, at times)

0BB26FE6-EDC9-4058-8084-2C15B3E51A4F.jpeg

James

Out There
Instructor
Got to spend some time on the 104SC, a VERY nice ski !
Just because they are pressed by Elan, Peaks are not Elans, this coming from someone who’s got 100s of days on Ripsticks
What’s the story with the SC? Is it touring?

Quandary

Out on the slopes
Skier
I really like my 98/184s. However I still think I would take my 102FRs/184 on a all a rounder day before the Peaks. But it is a very very close call and I could change my mind. The edge goes to the 102FRs because they are better on the groomers. The skis are both equally adept in soft snow. For easy kinda mindless skiing the 98s are auto pilot skis. To me that is about as high of praise you could give to the Peaks.

Yarecki

Putting on skis
Skier
Got a chance to ski the 98s for the first time, a day after a reportedly fabulous 21" dump. I have the 184cm, me @180cm and 193lbs. That keyhole has some magic to it, they turn quicker than the side cut when pressured and set on edge. The livery is better than 3/4 of the skis. Fun-tastic skis; they do ski short. Has anybody mounted them -1 or -2? There seems to be plenty of tail for that.

Now skiing short was not a problem for bumps and the Wild Katz test (steep and narrow tree run, at times)

View attachment 192030

I really like my 98/184s. However I still think I would take my 102FRs/184 on a all a rounder day before the Peaks. But it is a very very close call and I could change my mind. The edge goes to the 102FRs because they are better on the groomers. The skis are both equally adept in soft snow. For easy kinda mindless skiing the 98s are auto pilot skis. To me that is about as high of praise you could give to the Peaks.

Some of the “ski short” comments make me curious how my 98s will perform.

I’m 6’1 (that’s 185cm for people used to a normal measuring system), 185lbs. I got the 178cm Peak 98s. My daily drivers are 2022 179cm Enforcer 100, and 180cm Bonafide from a few seasons back. Plus 175cm Laser AX.

I generally never buy the longest size, and like to stay at 180cm +/- 2cm. The 178cm Peaks are actually same height as my 180cm Bones, but the rocker is longer, so effective length is definitely shorter.

I’m mostly an Ice Coast skier (Killington, Windham, Stratton), and like skiing a lot of tight stuff, so generally gravitate toward shorter turns, but wondering how the 98s will compare to my Enforcers and Bones, if they ski short… My other concern is that one of the two sheets of metal is not full edge-to-edge, will be interesting to see how that handles the bulletproof stuff here…

Putting them on snow this weekend and will report back.

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

I’m 6’1 (that’s 185cm for people used to a normal measuring system), 185lbs. I got the 178cm Peak 98s. My daily drivers are 2022 179cm Enforcer 100, and 180cm Bonafide from a few seasons back. Plus 175cm Laser AX.

I generally never buy the longest size, and like to stay at 180cm +/- 2cm. The 178cm Peaks are actually same height as my 180cm Bones, but the rocker is longer, so effective length is definitely shorter.

I’m mostly an Ice Coast skier (Killington, Windham, Stratton), and like skiing a lot of tight stuff, so generally gravitate toward shorter turns, but wondering how the 98s will compare to my Enforcers and Bones, if they ski short… My other concern is that one of the two sheets of metal is not full edge-to-edge, will be interesting to see how that handles the bulletproof stuff here…

Have fun. Looking forward to your report.

My Peaks are arriving soon but I won't be able to get on them right away. I'm very excited to see how they perform.

Quandary

Out on the slopes
Skier

It will be interesting to see how you like the 178. By reference I am 6' 170ish. All my skis other than the Kastle MX83 (175) are 185/184. I only ski in the Rockies. I think there is a chance you will overwhelm the 178s.

Yarecki

Putting on skis
Skier
Have fun. Looking forward to your report.

My Peaks are arriving soon but I won't be able to get on them right away. I'm very excited to see how they perform.
Just picked my 178cm 98s up from the shop. Mounted with Look Pivot Forzas 15 (on a side note that Forza colors from a season or two back look amazing on this ski).

You’ll notice right next to my Laser AXs (175cm), the Peaks look much longer than stated length of 178cm. They’re actually same height as my 180cm Bones.

Can’t wait to get them on snow this weekend!
D5FBCFFD-D543-4C9D-9D50-6B5832CDC3CB.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Just picked my 178cm 98s up from the shop. Mounted with Look Pivot Forzas 15 (on a side note that Forza colors from a season or two back look amazing on this ski).

You’ll notice right next to my Laser AXs (175cm), the Peaks look much longer than stated length of 178cm. They’re actually same height as my 180cm Bones.

Can’t wait to get them on snow this weekend!

Man, those are long. I usually go with skis (mostly cambered) in the 168-170cm range but I got the Peaks 178cm because everyone said they ski pretty short. I hope I don't regret picking that instead of the 168cm.

Sponsor