• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

The Never-Ending Peak By Bode Miller Skis Discussion Thread

tomahawkins

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
104s continue to be a great ski for wet and heavy PNW snow. Another awesome day yesterday despite the rain, or maybe because of it. We finally got enough snow where common lines are starting to open up. Got to run several different entrances to Gabl’s. Skis very controlled with hop turns and sliding sideways down 50-55 degree sections. So much fun.

Me: 6’1”, 170. I’m on the 184s but I’m sure my son’s 178 would work just as well, maybe better for the technical stuff.

salvatore

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
If it helps, my Peak 104/178 are shorter than my Mantra 102/177. You can see the difference in the pic.

I also think they ski a bit "short." For reference, I'm between 5'6" and 5'7", depending on how frisky I'm feeling, and around 158 lbs. I found myself wishing I had gone with the Peak 104/184, but I've never thought the same thing about the M102. That ski in 177 cm is right where I want it.

I ordered the Peak 110/188 (in the 2-for-1 Sale) and those are just a bit too long for me. I sent them back in exchange for the 178, but only because in that model width there is nothing in between. I wish they made that in a 184 cm.

Attachments

• LRM_20230210_232558 (1).jpg
    LRM_20230210_232558 (1).jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 30

salvatore

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
You’ll notice right next to my Laser AXs (175cm), the Peaks look much longer than stated length of 178cm. They’re actually same height as my 180cm Bones.
Wow, do Stockli run really short? You can see the comparison to my M102s, although admittedly Volkl can be said to run a tad long (in reality, I think they are probably spot on and everyone else is off! Ha!).

Great choice in bindings, btw!

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Man, those are long. I usually go with skis (mostly cambered) in the 168-170cm range but I got the Peaks 178cm because everyone said they ski pretty short. I hope I don't regret picking that instead of the 168cm.
You won't.

Yarecki

Putting on skis
Skier
Man, those are long. I usually go with skis (mostly cambered) in the 168-170cm range but I got the Peaks 178cm because everyone said they ski pretty short. I hope I don't regret picking that instead of the 168cm.
So I went back and put the 98s next to my AXs again, because something in my original picture didn’t look right. They skis must have not be aligned on the stand. See this picture, the 178cm 98s are actually only a tad longer than my 175cm AXs.

So you have nothing to worry about. 168cm would be too short.
65E8BCB6-CFC8-4FB6-8999-53F074A60400.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
This fascination with length must be guy thing. :huh:

The construction of the ski is a whole lot more important factor than the length. Length alone is pretty much meaningless. Length will come into play if the skier picks up the ski and rotate it. Think rotary step. The swing weight of the extra length will be impactful. If the technique is tip and rip, the extra length factor is much diminished.

Yarecki

Putting on skis
Skier
This fascination with length must be guy thing. :huh:

The construction of the ski is a whole lot more important factor than the length. Length alone is pretty much meaningless. Length will come into play if the skier picks up the ski and rotate it. Think rotary step. The swing weight of the extra length will be impactful. If the technique is tip and rip, the extra length factor is much diminished.
I agree to some extent, but it does come into play in several circumstances: bumps, trees, chutes (generally favor shorter skis, and I personally feel the length difference immediately - must be b/c of my mediocre skills) whereas if you’re ripping big GS turns at speed you’ll notice pretty quickly if your ski is short…

KingGrump

Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I agree to some extent, but it does come into play in several circumstances: bumps, trees, chutes (generally favor shorter skis, and I personally feel the length difference immediately - must be b/c of my mediocre skills) whereas if you’re ripping big GS turns at speed you’ll notice pretty quickly if your ski is short…

Yes, it's very much technique/tactic related.
I am 68 yo, 5'/6", #150. I am in steep, bumps & tree most of the time. My skis ranges from 157 FIS SL to a 106mm x 186 cm ski.
If you want to see how fast a pair of 157 FIS SL can track, come to one of the gatherings and see @A Grump track his.

As I always say, "It's not the arrow., It's the Indian."

Yarecki

Putting on skis
Skier
I am 68 yo, 5'/6", #150. I am in steep, bumps & tree most of the time. My skis ranges from 157 FIS SL to a 106mm x 186 cm ski.
If you want to see how fast a pair of 157 FIS SL can track, come to one of the gatherings and see @A Grump track his.

Exactly - and different Indians may prefer different arrows, hence all the length questions. Not everybody (definitely not me) is Marcus Caston who can crush bumps on 187cm skis…

KingGrump

Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Exactly - and different Indians may prefer different arrows, hence all the length questions. Not everybody (definitely not me) is Marcus Caston who can crush bumps on 187cm skis…

You are aiming too high.
Don't need to be a ski p*rn star to ski most terrain well.
Improvement in technique and tactic, however small, will eliminate most of the anguish over equipment choice.

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
So I went back and put the 98s next to my AXs again, because something in my original picture didn’t look right. They skis must have not be aligned on the stand. See this picture, the 178cm 98s are actually only a tad longer than my 175cm AXs.

So you have nothing to worry about. 168cm would be too short. View attachment 192171

Yeah, that photo looks more like what you'd expect.

This Indian prefers a shorter arrow in bumps and trees because my bowmanship is a work in progress.

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Shudda came to the Taos gathering. :beercheer:

Believe me, I really wanted to. Too many project deadlines to swing both the Taos and Utah Gathering this year. I've already decided that I'm coming to the Taos Gathering next year, even if it means skipping the national one.

Yarecki

Putting on skis
Skier
You are aiming too high.
Improvement in technique and tactic, however small, will eliminate most of the anguish over equipment choice.
No worries, no anguish here, I don’t sweat the lengths too much. Was just replying to other ppl’s questions.

As to skiing like Marcus, I don’t aim for that (gotta be realistic!), but I can sure drool…

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
You are aiming too high.
Dunno. To me, the differences are real, nonetheless. I'm a finesse skier, pretty much. On some skis I can do things I can't on other skis. Mostly not a technique problem.
From my point of view, I have to deal with the possible: the hand I'm dealt, including with different equipment. I'm really lucky I can ski, in this regard as well as others.

One of the things I really love about the Bode history, skis, interviews, his point of view - and his stories about being on skis - is that he shares my experience in this regard: a well designed, breakthrough ski can make a big difference, and has for him - both competing and recreationally; and an even better designed ski can make more difference still. Little details matter. It's why one coach in football ends up in championship games over and over, while another fails spectacularly: attention to the seemingly little details, including with much of one's equipment, in skiing.

I have to have tunnel vision in this way, whatever others experience. Often, on each pair of skis, even of the same length and model, things are different. Fun to explore it with a big bag of tricks, going back years - including "which one to pick up and let the other one lie."
On a slalom ski, for instance, powder is swell; but not the same as with a longer, fatter ski.

With the same model great powder ski, on different lengths things will be different. That's my experience. I'll use the technique the situation offers, with the possibilities the ski offers. But what I can do will vary from ski to ski in the same conditions - often dramatically. I'd rather be on a ski that excels for me, in the way I want to ski on that ski, given what it offers through how it performs. And the fatter the ski, the more this seems to be so, on soft snow days.

To me it's spectacularly fun that skis are so different, and that it makes a difference.

Just huge differences. :)

Last edited:

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
I am 5'9" rounding up. My skis range from 165 to 208, although I have spent days on much longer skis and hours on much shorter skis while demoing.
I find that length matters a lot less with proper technique, but it still matters; you need more precision and it is harder to be precise with the longer skis. It is a bit like putting a dip stick back in the tube after checking the oil. The farther the end is from where you have a hold of it, the more skill required.

DocGKR

Stuck at work...
Skier
From the first run, each of the Augment All Mountains have proven exciting, vibrant, and energetic; likewise the Salomon Stances were the surprise of last year--super fun, capable, and lively; yet so far, the Peak's I've been on this year have been just OK--not mind blowing or uplifting in any way....

givethepigeye

Really, just Rob will do
Skier
If I remember correctly, Augment is not available in the US next year (and this year), so the comparison is rather academic. If anyone found a way to import freeride Augments here, please share... Of course purchasing a $1,500 ski without a warranty looks like a rather risky proposition. The sad reality is that with Augment out of the country and Kastle having moved downmarket, Stockli has the premium ski market in the US all for themselves. Parenthetically, that is a rather sad outcome for us, people who fall between sizes in Stockli lineup.

Meh..."the report of my death was an exaggeration" Sure their production is in CZ now, but those 106ti's are not "down market" @ +$1K a pair and certainly couldn't tell that they weren't pressed in Hohenems.

My Stockli's SR95's haven't seen snow in almost two years between the CZ Kastle's and wait for it...... a pair of Dynastars made in Spain. Would I prefer that the Kastle's were still made in AT, sure but my feet don't notice and to be honest those old Austrian top sheets on the FX104's were made of glass. If you haven't gotten on a pair, I think you might be surprised. Heck, most Campagnolo isn't made in IT anymore either, but its still pretty sweet and "premium".

tomahawkins

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

I find longer skis are easier in bumps and crud due to the stability. But that with speed lets you get sloppy with technique. I’ve been spending more time on my short-for-me 170 SL-like skis off piste; they really force you to tighten up the screws.

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
From the first run, each of the Augment All Mountains have proven exciting, vibrant, and energetic; likewise the Salomon Stances were the surprise of last year--super fun, capable, and lively; yet so far, the Peak's I've been on this year have been just OK--not mind blowing or uplifting in any way....
(One note first before responding to the above post: the Peak ski that has sold out and been most in demand, seemingly, has been both the 104 and 104 sc skis that Bode goes out of his way to describe, and that one can infer were for him favorites. Seems like others have felt the same way. Because of my collision/accident/fractured arm in early December, I have been unable to get on the 104, even though I own it, and it is sitting in my garage with bindings, just waiting to get skied. I suspect I will find this ski pretty neat, but don't really know yet.)

Unfortunately, my own Peak impressions have been limited by my getting injured this season, and thus have to be of a more preliminary nature, for now. But still, I have to say, respectfully, so far, that Doc's post is not my experience, as I have described. Different experiences for different people, I guess. For me, the Stances were very good skis, but didn't do anything that other skis couldn't do as well or better. Not a "wow" for me, though a bit of a surprise initially that they tracked and carved so well. Since there are a number of different Stances, it's very possible that I'd like one of the ones I haven't yet been able to try, better - find it more of a breakthrough. It's also possible that I was only demoing the limits of the tune on those particular demo days.

On the other hand, for me, the two Peak skis I've been on and own (98 & 110) have in common an ability to respond really well to laying a ski over on edge at higher angles - they come alive and become more stable doing that, in a bombproof manner in the fall line - reminding me of a race ski. Big smiles. They are perfectly happy to cruise along at much more relaxed/less laid over angles however. So much so that unless one actually tries laying them over at higher angles, and sometimes at speed, it's quite possible to ski them in a normal all mountain way without ever noticing what they can do at greater angles carving or even charging. Yet they have a bit of long rocker that makes them great at uneven conditions (more than, say, most Stocklis), and they have a balance between carve and pivot/slarve that some good all mountain skis have - specifically, that the Blizzard Bonafide and Brahma seem to have pioneered. (But those Blizzards do not respond nearly as well to laying them over at steeper angles. Nor are they as versatile turn-shape wise with rocker, so far, although they have a damp, dialed in groove waiting to be found, and played with - great skis also.)

The Peaks also are very damp (because of keyhole, stiffness and rocker, probably) - quiet like a ski much longer and heavier. That is really noticeable, unusual, and nice, for me, as well; consequently, especially for the 110, no speed limit. The way they track and carve is a different dynamic - as others have said, including Bode; in common with a race ski, they are designed to carve by flex rather than so much by sideshape, without having to think about it; and thus they have a distinctive, easy, race ski like dynamic/feel to them I really like - very different, when that is wanted, that other all mountain skis, and even most carvers, do not have so much, near as I can tell. The Peaks are very forgiving at speed - or slow - for a ski that carves so well when that's wanted. (Partly the keyhole also, probably.) And thus they are great, I believe, for lower advanced skiers also, probably, because of both their forgiving nature at any speed, and their ease/quietness at both carving and slarving. The ski is less tiring - again, as folks have noted. These things also Bode emphasizes, and to me has been successful at designing.

For me, the 184 Peak 98 is not as dialed in as the Peak 110, probably because the Peak 110 is longer, 188. At times, the 98 feels a bit short at speed in uneven or steep uneven terrain, unless I remember to treat them a bit like an all mountain/race ski combined, laid over a bit, on edge, at least. When I do that, they stabilize in a wider variety of terrain and conditions, and at greater speed.
I believe this is probably because the Peaks were prototyped by skiers who wanted an all mountain ski with race-like dynamics, and were skilled and ready to go to higher angles first, and low angles/more upright only as a secondary or change of pace tactic/style.
Look again at Bode skiing on the Peak 98s, in particular (or any of the other Peaks, actually). Without effort, very casually, his hip and his hand/arm are right down on the snow as he's turning - just as high angled as one could get without going up onto one's boots instead of edges. This is by design.

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online