• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Help me connect the "cork gets harder so the boot gets sloppier" comment. Not quite understanding the connection there.
The cork just isn’t as supple, I guess is the best way to describe it.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
The cork just isn’t as supple, I guess is the best way to describe it.

I get that the cork hardens. Happens for mine too, but that's what really locks you in as the boot cools during your ski day. How does colder cork = sloppy fit? That's where I'm confused.

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Is there any reason to re-heat mold these things at the start of a season?

I skied mine this week for the first day out of the season. Had pain on one foot at the outside of my ankle bones. It appears my bony ankles have moved the Omfit out of the area leaving a nice depression for my ankle to sit. However, there is now no protection at all for the bone to the shell. Just a soreness I've never had before. Not sure if I should add a bit More Omfit to the area or wait to see if it was just a first day out thing.

I had the same experience and was going to ask but your post is nearly identical to what I would have written. Weird.

chris_the_wrench

Spinning wrenches and throwing spokes.
Skier
Anyone have a set of the GFT liners on pre-order? I really like my Hawx xtd boots(my touring boots), but I miss my zip fit liners(in my alpine boots).

Uphill-side-profile-e1635447020620.png

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
Anyone have a set of the GFT liners on pre-order? I really like my Hawx xtd boots(my touring boots), but I miss my zip fit liners(in my alpine boots).

It's an interesting idea, but I'd want to see what the weight is. The liner is one component where it's pretty easy to get some weight savings without a loss of performance. Intuition and Palau kind of own the market when it comes to lightweight warm touring liners. I don't see how ZipFit really competes since they cannot be lightweight. I'm not sure I'd be willing to go with a lighter weight ski, binding, or shell when there's decent other liner options available.

chris_the_wrench

Skier
It's an interesting idea, but I'd want to see what the weight is.
For this settup I dont care about weight, its all about managing to get to the top and the decent is the real deal. This settup is Hwax xtd, black crows atris(108’ish), pivot 15 w/ cast toe pieces for the uphill. Definitely not a skimo or long day touring setup. I primarily use it off my buddies snow machine or when I just want to get some exercise and don’t mind dragging several pounds up the hill(per foot).

USCskibum

Booting up
Skier
I’m sure this has been covered previously, but could someone clarify the difference between:

1). ZipFit World Cup Stealth (red leather) and Gara Stealth (blue leather)

How does either of these compare to the current name(s) on the website: Gara LV, Gara HV, and World Cup (appears to only be offered now as WorldCup Sidewinder?)

AchtungSki

Putting on skis
Skier
@Noodler

I just got a pair of world cup sidewinders today and tried fitting them following your procedure. Took me a second to get the hang of stepping into the shells with the liners on but I managed, however I was barely able to get the shells buckled at the ankle buckle even at the longest adjustment position. I basically had to squeeze my cuff together with one hand and crank the buckle over with the other and it was a bit tight on top of my ankle when standing. Is this something that will break in with repeated wear or are my shells not compatible? Any advice would be much appreciated!

Drahtguy Kevin

Après aficionado
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
@Noodler

I just got a pair of world cup sidewinders today and tried fitting them following your procedure. Took me a second to get the hang of stepping into the shells with the liners on but I managed, however I was barely able to get the shells buckled at the ankle buckle even at the longest adjustment position. I basically had to squeeze my cuff together with one hand and crank the buckle over with the other and it was a bit tight on top of my ankle when standing. Is this something that will break in with repeated wear or are my shells not compatible? Any advice would be much appreciated!
This is what you want. The corky stuff will ebb and flow settling where it’s needed. Give’r some time and you’ll be pleased.

Triplet

Chasing the perfect fit, ENTP :)
Skier
On the YT channel of ZipFit one can find how to add/remove cork from the liners. The guy also says in both of them that the liners come with no cork prepacked in the ankle zone, while the Achilles and "midfoot" zones(sides of the instep) are filled with cork. This creates a donut-like effect for the ankle. Of course, more cork can be added if needed.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
On the YT channel of ZipFit one can find how to add/remove cork from the liners. The guy also says in both of them that the liners come with no cork prepacked in the ankle zone, while the Achilles and "midfoot" zones(sides of the instep) are filled with cork. This creates a donut-like effect for the ankle. Of course, more cork can be added if needed.

I think you may have misunderstood what you watched (please link the video).

Here are the chambers for the ankle bladder:
1642009136128.png

Only the midfoot chamber 3 does not have OMFit when the liner is shipped. Chambers 1 and 2 definitely have the compound.

Jersey Skier

aka RatherPlayThanWork or Gary
Skier

View attachment 154912

Only the midfoot chamber 3 does not have OMFit when the liner is shipped. Chambers 1 and 2 definitely have the compound.
So how do you know for sure that you’re hitting #3? I feel like i could use a bit more there. Pushed 1” in each side yesterday but it’s probably in #2 and is barely noticeable.

Triplet

Skier

View attachment 154912

Here is the link: https://youtu.be/S4daX4CzngI
Starting from 3:30 he talks about the 3 pouches and at 4:30 he says that the zone directly above the ankle bone is empty.

Last edited:

Triplet

Skier
So how do you know for sure that you’re hitting #3? I feel like i could use a bit more there. Pushed 1” in each side yesterday but it’s probably in #2 and is barely noticeable.

Go watch the video I linked at 4:48, but basically you stick in the tube and point it at 90 degrees down at the front of the pouch.
Or you try to migrate some of the material from #2 to the 3rd chamber with some massaging.
Screenshot_20220112-212715.png

Last edited:

chris_the_wrench

Skier

took me a few tries and, atleast for me, just a TINY bit(1/8 tube) made a HUGE difference.

USCskibum

Booting up
Skier

View attachment 154912

If one has heel lift and/or feels like there is no support across the mid foot is it reason to believe you would ADD cork to the mid foot chamber to get more hold?

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
If one has heel lift and/or feels like there is no support across the mid foot is it reason to believe you would ADD cork to the mid foot chamber to get more hold?

The answer is almost always add cork to the tongue (lower section) for additional heel hold down. The only time you should add more to the ankle bladder chambers is if your foot is exceptionally narrow for your shell (and in that case, you might have been better off with a different boot).

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
Here is the link: Starting from 3:30 he talks about the 3 pouches and at 4:30 he says that the zone directly above the ankle bone is empty.

I don't know what to say other than simply that he's wrong. I have 8 pairs of Zips sitting in my house. I have 2 brand new 2021 sets (WC and Gara Stealth Leather) and I just checked and they were both delivered with cork in chambers 1 and 2, and nothing in 3. It's been this way for like, forever (since the old Sven videos were produced).

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
So I watched the other new videos just posted in 2022 on the ZipFit channel. I have to say that some of the info is not what I would advise and some info is just plain missing. These videos are clearly targeted at shops that sell ZipFit and how they should handle a fitting. So the advice to warm the shell is not what I've recommended in this thread. We're fitting the liner to the shell and the foot, not wanting to modify the shell. Now the temps advised in the video for warming the shell probably aren't going to do much of anything to the shape of the shell, but they're also not going to transmit much heat into the liner. I'm really surprised that they've gone back to recommending the use of a microwave to warm the liner (talk about coming full circle). There are unpainted metal eyelets on the latest liners. I don't think I would trust putting a liner into a microwave unless I removed those eyelets. Someone needs to be the test pilot on that idea (and it won't be me!)...

Anyhow, I'm sticking with my tried and true instructions that were developed from a good amount of experience with these liners. Oh, and if you're removing cork, the tube method is the only way to go, and be sure to warm the liner beforehand to make it very easy to remove the material.

Sponsor

Staff online