• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

The Ocean

SSSdave

life is short precious ...don't waste it
Skier
This is a downsized for web image from Pacific Grove on June 29, 2022. A6000 85mm 8 shot focus stack blend 6000x4000 pixels full image size. That section of our Pacific Coast is uncommon along the coast, granite that is otherwise most common in the Sierra Nevada. Granite being hard gives that coast more gnarly features with generally whiter sands that results in a more aquamarine shallow seawater hue.

(mouse select to enlarge)
TO09389-96y.jpg

Another downsized for web image from nearby Carmel on June 15, 2020 showing that sea color. The dark area is of course kelp that enjoys that hard substrate to attach to. A6000 85mm single shot 6000x4000 pixels full image size.

TM08711y.jpg

And then last Monday was along a relatively unknown Sonoma County shore that has a unique geology covered by piles of colorful stones. The stones endlessly sloshing about in waves and tides results in smooth polished rock that looks particularly aesthetic when wet. Below is another downsized for web image, A6000 56mm 19 shot focus stack blend 6000x4000 pixels full image size. The image below that is a 100% pixels crop from its center showing the true high detail focus stacking allows with a sharp full frame prime lens.

TS09860-75y.jpg

TS09860-75cr1.jpg

I plan to return in about 10 days during the full moon that provides highest tides that daily remove other visitor tracks. During this summer I've also done 3 strenuous backpacking trips of 5 days each that am just now near completing the considerable post processing of. A key reason why this little old senior has strong legs for skiing bumps.

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
Simpson's Reef, OR; west of Coos Bay. There are 100's of sea mammal's in this picture, several kinds of seals, sea lions, elephant seals, and probably a couple of otters. A spot worth going to if you are in the area. Some very nice costal trails to hike, a little golf course, some fine beaches, surfing, ... Good camping out there too.

20150329_165001.jpg

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Lots of beach pics for me... of all types...

St. Lucia, South Africa
IMG_0466 Final3.jpg

Sao Miguel, The Azores
Portugal 2013 097 ACR Conv.jpg

Moeraki Boulders Beach, New Zealand
NZ_AUS_FIJI_Feb_2012 517 ACR Conv Pano.JPG

Matamanoa, Fiji
NZ_AUS_FIJI_Feb_2012 1047 ACR Conv Pano.JPG

Cancun, Mexico
pano Sea Final.jpg

Garden City Beach, South Carolina
Myrtle Beach 2015 003 ACR Conv Pano small.jpg

Myrtle Beach 2011 035 HDR ACR Conv 2.jpg

Myrtle Beach 083119 004 DC ACR Conv.jpg

Myrtle Beach 083119 013 DC ACR Conv.jpg

Last edited:

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier

Cameron

Out on the slopes
Skier
Great pictures, I really like the Outer Banks, what town are you in? Kitty Hawk, Nags Head, Duck, etc..
We stay on Hatteras Island in Rodanthe at Camp Hatteras with our fifth wheel. My father-in-law went as a child with his parents. My wife and her parents went for 2 weeks every summer all the way through college. Now we are continuing the tradition with out son.

With any luck we will someday call OBX home.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
We stay on Hatteras Island in Rodanthe at Camp Hatteras with our fifth wheel. My father-in-law went as a child with his parents. My wife and her parents went for 2 weeks every summer all the way through college. Now we are continuing the tradition with out son.

With any luck we will someday call OBX home.
Very cool family tradition. Good luck on that long term goal.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Birling Gap

Failed to get a pic of the Spitfire doing a wingover over the white cliffs. Joyride in a tanden available for about £5k.

Sponsor

Staff online