• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

eBike The return of Trekchick

chilehed

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
If I bought an e-bike, I want e-assist, so why do I want to have the ability to set it up to give me minimal output??
I could see that as a range-extending feature: minimum assist on long flats to save it for climbs.

Sometimes I'm amazed at how poorly product validation seems to have been done. I just bought an electronic wind instrument, a pretty well known one that has a marketing pitch that it's keyed like a saxophone so you can use it to practice quietly. But although the keywork is very much like a sax, many standard fingerings don't play like a sax at all, and some play more than one note depending on how you got there. Seems to me that that would be a pretty basic and obvious thing to test before release.

Last edited:

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
so why do I want to have the ability to set it up to give me minimal output??
That system is probably used across different platforms. Maybe a commuter bike on relatively flat ground needs the distance more than the assistance for hills.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
That system is probably used across different platforms. Maybe a commuter bike on relatively flat ground needs the distance more than the assistance for hills.
I don't care about the commuter. This is all about ME!!!! :bike:

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I could see that as a range-extending feature: minimum assist on long flats to save it for climbs.

Sometimes I'm amazed at how poorly product validation seems to have been done. I just bought an electronic wind instrument, a pretty well known one that has a marketing pitch that it's keyed like a saxophone so you can use it to practice quietly. But although the keywork is very much like a sax, many standard fingerings don't play like a sax at all, and some play more than one note depending on how you got there. Seems to me that that would be a pretty basic and obvious thing to test before release.
Some of the lingo they use implies some of what Andy has touched on. This drive system was originally designed for commuter and road type bicycles, and only has been used on mountain bikes recently.
The customization steps ask the rider if they commute, ride steep terrain, ride flat terrain, pavement, dirt, ....you get the idea.
How much input do you want to get back compared to the input you put into the ride?
How do you breathe when you ride?
You plug the drive system into your laptop and set the drive system to your specs.

It has taken me 8 rides to get the system set up specifically to the way and the terrain I ride.

It really does work well overall, but its been a learning curve.
Heck, I'm probably going to keep learning more about it and my riding as I keep riding this bike.

newfydog

Making fresh tracks
Skier
So here's my question. If I bought an e-bike, I want e-assist, so why do I want to have the ability to set it up to give me minimal output??
:doh:

I frequently ride in the opposite mode. Many people here put the bike on a car to drive to the trails. With the e-bike I ride out there, I run the highest power and blast up up the gradual climbs on the paved roads to reach the dirt. On the trails, I want my bike to behave more normally so I cut the power back. The dirt is what I'm out to enjoy, so no hurry on that leg of the ride. Often I'll get home by some different paved roads, and if there is power left, I'll go back to the turbo level to finish of the boring roads as fast as it will go.

ps. chilehed---I do save some big watts for the really nasty climbs on dirt!

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I frequently ride in the opposite mode. Many people here put the bike on a car to drive to the trails. With the e-bike I ride out there, I run the highest power and blast up up the gradual climbs on the paved roads to reach the dirt. On the trails, I want my bike to behave more normally so I cut the power back. The dirt is what I'm out to enjoy, so no hurry on that leg of the ride. Often I'll get home by some different paved roads, and if there is power left, I'll go back to the turbo level to finish of the boring roads as fast as it will go.

ps. chilehed---I do save some big watts for the really nasty climbs on dirt!
Not too dissimilar. Fortunately, we have riding right from the house, one way I will coast to the trailhead, the other way, I might use the Turbo to go up. If I am using the bike to go to the store or around town, I will use the Turbo there.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Coincidently, a few fun bike memories came up on my FB wall.
Its hard to believe that my last Trek purchase was 12 years ago.

Screen Shot 2021-06-16 at 12.12.21 PM.png

And then there's this memory which is about @Erik Timmerman's daughter's custom build
Screen Shot 2021-06-16 at 12.15.46 PM.png

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Wow, 2014. Her new Yeti isn’t quite as fancy as the Intense was.
I was surprised that SkierShop's FB page is still functioning enough for the memory to show up.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Well, I did something that was quite the feat for me on this bike. I rode to the Snowboard Bench on Peavine behind @Philpug and @Andy Mink
With some of the firmware issues I'm having with this bike I had to walk several pitches when the drive pack dropped out on me. But...I made it.
I took away a lot more wins than losses on this ride and I'm eagerly awaiting the firmware update.
9301ACF8-24DA-49A2-BD6C-433585BA0AA8.JPG

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Well, its been a bit since I updated.
Athough there have been firmware issues, I feel like the Fazua NA customer service guys and Mitch from Trek have been doing what they can do, which isn't much, until the new firmware fix is in place.

Trek suggested that I take my bike to Scheels and have them take a look at it. Scheels head of bike customer service communicated with Jesse, the same guy I was talking to at Fazua, and they customized a setting for me that works tons better than anything I've tried so far. For the first time since I got this bike I had zero drops on the connector climb coming back home from the bike park!!

I've taken three rides since they set it up and I'm extremely pleased. This will definitely get me by until the firmware update is launched.

Meanwhile, all the issues aside, the pluses of this bike far outweigh the negatives.

I just looked up the computer logs of my Habit Neo 2 that I rode last year and I only rode a total of 162 miles on it.

I've already ridden +365 miles on this Trek.
That's a sign of a happy biker. :D

Sponsor

Staff online