• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

This has been touched on a couple times here.. Plus Size Plus Gear?

Rich_Ease_3051

Getting off the lift
Pass Pulled
You’re wrong. The expense, time, effort, and possible embarrassment of having to get clothes custom made means most plus size people will avoid it.

There's nothing embarrassing about getting tailored suits or custom ski boots or anything bespoke. If you're getting bespoke, you won't consider it wasted time and effort. Only part I agree with is the expense.

Why would it be any different with bespoke ski jacket and pants?

I can't fucking wait for my current jacket and pants to wet out so I can get a custom one with all the bells and whistles that I want.

Why would fat people not have the same sense of happiness and satisfaction that I would get from getting a custom jacket and pants?

Last edited:

jt10000

步步高升
Skier
There's nothing embarrassing about getting tailored suits or custom ski boots or anything bespoke. If you're getting bespoke, you won't consider it wasted time and effort. Only part I agree with is the expense.

Because there is so much fatphobia and shaming and ignorance about what it's like to be heavy in the world.

Rich_Ease_3051

Getting off the lift
Pass Pulled
Because there is so much fatphobia and shaming and ignorance about what it's like to be heavy in the world.

Regardless, the fatphobic people won't make fun of the fat person's bespoke jacket and pants just because it's bespoke and not bought off the rack.

They would have no idea that it's bespoke anyway, unless they're ski apparel geeks like us.

And even if they knew it was a bespoke Made ski jacket and pants, why would they immediately assume that the fat person bought it for it's sizing? And not for other reasons like customised colour or pockets and other features?

Rich_Ease_3051

Getting off the lift
Pass Pulled
Bro. Seriously. Stop.

Listen more.

I think it's a bad idea to stop others from expressing opinions. I'm advocating for fat people to get the gear they want. I find it strange that many of you are against custom made.

I mean it's just a production method, nothing more.

Before fast fashion and mass manufacturing, people went to the local tailor and got their clothing made to measure. That applied to the first Scandinavian skiers and even the proto-skiers 5000 years ago. They had their ski gear and apparel bespoke because it was the production method at the time.

So now, we're going full circle. It's just a shift in manufacturing method, nothing more.

Seriously, why would you be against this?

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

If the only reason you need bespoke is due to size there are a lot of emotions around that, especially for women, due to society’s habit of fat-shaming.

Rich_Ease_3051

Getting off the lift
Pass Pulled
If the only reason you need bespoke is due to size there are a lot of emotions around that, especially for women, due to society’s habit of fat-shaming.
They won't make fun of bespoke clothing. Made is not marketed as a bespoke clothing company for fat people only. It's mission statement is to cater to anyone who wants custom.

This is a strange thing to be worried about.

TS
crgildart

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
It's not just body size discrimination happening here.. it's the economic barriers that are higher for non slender people in the ski industry, a LOT higher.. That's more of the problem than anything else... Custom gear only makes that problem worse.. discouraging they vast majority of potential new skiers in that segment.

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
They won't make fun of bespoke clothing. Made is not marketed as a bespoke clothing company for fat people only. It's mission statement is to cater to anyone who wants custom.

This is a strange thing to be worried about.

As a plus sized person who has dealt with weight issues my entire life, I guarantee you I know more about my emotions than you do. Stop presuming to know what I and others feel.

It’s not just about the end result. Even the prospect of having to do it is emotional. There is a huge difference between choosing bespoke and being forced into it.

Rich_Ease_3051

Getting off the lift
Pass Pulled
It's not just body size discrimination happening here.. it's the economic barriers that are higher for non slender people in the ski industry, a LOT higher.. That's more of the problem than anything else... Custom gear only makes that problem worse.. discouraging they vast majority of potential new skiers in that segment.

It's not that high. $1600 for custom ski jacket and pants vs $800 off the rack. Spread out over a few years.

If you have a problem paying an extra $800 for apparel in a hobby that already charges $1000 for skis and $1000 for a lift pass and $1000 for flights to the resort and $300 a night for hotel and $30 burgers and $200 ski gloves and $500 ski boots, then you might be in the wrong hobby.

Put it this way, fat people are not gonna suddenly want to get into the hobby just because they now have the option to buy off the rack jacket and pants that suited them perfectly for just $800.

Last edited:

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
It's not that high. $1600 for custom ski jacket and pants vs $800 off the rack. Spread out over a few years.

If you have a problem paying an extra $800 for apparel in a hobby that charges $1000 for skis and $1000 for lift pass and $1000 for flights to the resort and $300 a night for hotel and $30 burgers and $200 ski gloves and $500 ski boots, then you might be in the wrong hobby.

Put it this way, fat people are not gonna get into the hobby just because they have the option to buy off the rack jacket and pants for $800 that suited them perfectly.

I know very few people of any size that spend $800 on ski jackets. Even Arcteryx’s top of the line jacket is under $800. Stio is under $600. I’ve never spent more than $400. Plus those go on sale. $1000 difference absolutely matters to some. Plus, even people who can spend the money often prefer not to. I have family that absolutely could but have been wearing the same $300 jackets for years.

Lauren

AKA elemmac
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Minor thread drift, but relevant...

I just watched a documentary on Netflix: "White Hot: The Rise and Fall of Abercrombie and Fitch". As someone that went through middle school and high school during the "rise" of the company, I found myself nodding excessively. It brought up many seemingly minor things (and many major issues), that when put into a larger picture were incredibly problematic for society. For anyone that has doubts that brands mold their reputation through discrimination I would highly recommend you watch this one with an open mind. This often has very little to do with the bottom line. It's about brand image.

A&F took discrimination to an extreme and I don't want to group other brands in this same bubble of extremes; however there are many (i.e. most) outdoor brands that have not reached 2022's expectations of inclusion.

Last edited:
TS
crgildart

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Wow we're definitely done here. You have no idea how 99% of America and the rest of the world lives day to day and why some sports have higher participation rates than others..

Rich_Ease_3051

Getting off the lift
Pass Pulled
Wow we're definitely done here. You have no idea how 99% of America and the rest of the world lives day to day and why some sports have higher participation rates than others..

I think I might have some idea why. Same reason why car racing and horse riding and sky diving and sailing and golfing and scuba diving have low participation rates.

It's the body weight right?

Cameron

Out on the slopes
Skier
Doing my best to avoid the arguments going on, Made seems to be an interesting option as I have had an increasingly difficult time finding technical clothing that fits right. I use to have have good luck with Mountain Hardwear but when they stopped using the DryQ fabric (which I loved) the sizing seemed to change. I've been trying for several years now to find decent fitting shell pants and jackets but have been unsuccessful. I did find that Spyder offers some Gore-Tex garments up to 3XL but they're insulated which I rarely have a use for skiing in the mid-west. Obermeyer offers a few things in bigger sizes as well but the ones I tried were cut a little odd. Beyond that its entry level stuff from Columbia which might keep you dry but has lousy breathability.

When it comes to women's clothing I am clueless. I won't even pretend to understand the sizing but my wife has had decent luck with Obermeyer and Eddie Bauer.

TS
crgildart

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I think I might have some idea why. Same reason why car racing and horse riding and sky diving and sailing and golfing and scuba diving have low participation rates.

It's the body weight right?
Anecdotally, I know more plus sized people pretty active in ALL of those than I do in skiing, and I spend way more time around skiers.. Go to the drag strip someday.. Tons of beer guts there. Nobody needs custom made clothes to play golf. wetsuits stretch a LOT. Thank you for proving my proving that you have no ideal how 99% of America lives day to day..

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
There are so many false comments in this thread that I'd like to set straight as someone with a professional background in both plus and outdoor apparel. The average US woman is a size 14 (the overlap between straight and plus sizes), and ~45% are limited to plus only. Plus makes up a small part of the ski market currently, but you need plus size ski gear before you're going to get many plus size skiers. There are also several groups where the majority or even vast majority of members wear plus sizes, like ethnicity, age, and disability status. We love to claim that "the mountains don't care what color you are," but Black women skew more towards plus size (and before anyone comes for health / activity status, they tend to have healthy health markers at larger weights). It appeals both from a business case sense and a fairness and equity standpoint.

With that, technical / fit design work has 2 guiding principles:

1. Does it fit on the body.
2. Does it function on the body.

Point 1 is where plus sizes differs from other fit cases, like short and to some extent, tall sizes. There are no options on the market for: shell ski pants, shell ski jackets, softshell top or bottom, no ski or rain gear with high performance membranes (polartec, eVent, Gore Tex), midweight or heavyweight puffy coats, any down item over 650 fill down, any wide calf ski socks. I believe that men's short sizes need more options, but it is a very different situation compared to having 0 options that will even go on your body. I know a few women who have the time and resources to sew their own garments, and a few that ski in low quality gear by being extremely picky with their days, but the majority of plus size women I know who are interested in skiing are waiting for better gear. I've wanted to nominate them for some really cool pass & lesson scholarships in our area, but gear that can keep you dry in the PNW snow for 3-4 hours is a missing prerequisite.

Point 2 is where I'm not convinced about a company like MADE. For example, both rise options hit below the belly button, but every successful pant I've seen in the plus size space sits above the belly button, below the ribcage. Their AI can deduct their measurements from those 2 pictures, but it doesn't tell you that someone with an apron belly needs a waistband that fits above or below it because otherwise it has no chance of staying closed when they bend at the waist. This is where a lot of companies have failed with plus expansions. Like Kari Traa's attempt used all the right measurements, but didn't adapt the patterning for plus size bodies at all (particularly rise and waistband width). Comments about Burton's XXL & XXXL have similar issues with inadequate rise. Now, MADE might be different, but with 3 years of design experience on their entire team and 0 in plus (especially considering fashion students work on up to size 6 mannequins in fashion school), I'm skeptical.

Further:
  • Plus should absolutely be financially viable for most ski companies. Eddie Bauer & LL Bean only hit about a billion in revenue per year and have been able to service small sectors of plus outerwear for years. OR and Trew are investing heavily with revenue of $57M & $9M, respectively. Eddie Bauer and LL Bean have offered some basic technical outdoor pieces to plus with $1-2B in revenue. Compare that to Patagonia ($1B), North Face ($12B), and Arc'teryx ($800M). Columbia was around $1-1.5B when they launched their plus collection.
  • MADE is not much more expensive than Arc'teryx or Patagonia, but the quality doesn't compare. A 3L Polartec Neoshell jacket goes for $645 with a really basic built (basic full zip, velcro cuffs, no extra pockets or pit zips). That goes for $400-450 commercially, and commercial offerings has the potential to mark down (~$250-300). Arc'teryx uses more Gore / Gore Pro, which have higher membrane test performance, as well as more intricate patternwork that dramatically increases factory costs, but vastly improves how gear moves with the body.
  • There's not that much of a difference between designing stretchy knits and structured wovens. There's a little more forgiveness from a measurement standpoint, but there's almost as many variables that can go wrong. Hence why Kari Traa doesn't have extended sizes in base layers despite seeming like an easier category.
Lastly, I wish the article acknowledged the sheer amount of unpaid work that has gone into contacting, convincing, and collaborating with brands on size extensions. I'm friends with a few of the women working on the OR, Gregory, and Trew plus runs, and an insane amount effort goes into getting brands to notice them, convincing them that they do hard enough things to need technical gear, and gear testing prototypes.
Wow. :golfclap: Tour de force. You could definitely get venture capital!

Last edited:

zircon

Out on the slopes
Skier
*looks at his $100 clearance rack jacket, $400 skis, free flight, $80/night hotel, $12 burger, and $40 gloves*

I must be doing this wrong :huh:

To the point of this thread, said $100 jacket is a women’s large, purchased in a fit of exasperation after trying on countless men’s XS jackets that fit like trash bags. I’m 5’5” and 120 lbs. If that’s a women’s large then what’s an actual large woman wearing? Lol, nothing. And as a tiny guy (granted, one with a fairly average 31” inseam—bike fitting is a different story) the struggle doesn’t even come close. We can at least find technical gear that fits on our body even if the fit isn’t ideal.

Being limited to heavy winter coats that are like walking around in a sauna, snow pants that either fall down or are bibs that fit like a sausage casing, rental boots that don’t even close around your calves with the buckle all the way out and fold under beginner forces because they weren’t designed with 200+ lbs in mind. That’s the reality. It’s hard to try something out if the only option is to shell out $$$$$ on gear that you can’t easily flip before you even get your first day on snow.

PS plenty of plus size people absolutely killing it in the horse world.

Sponsor