• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Three equal parts: physical strength, quickness, and balls

Mike King

AKA Habacomike
Instructor
personally, I feel this list is at least incomplete if not missing a key element: body awareness. Body awareness allows one to manipulate the relationship between the center of mass and the base of support. It is the element that brings dynamic balance into one's skiing. Without body awareness, the other elements may become more important as one has to muscle their way back into a position, or become more aggressive seeking a different position. In my opinion, body awareness is more important than strength. With body awareness, you can accomplish a lot more for a given amount of strength...

We all should spend more time training body awareness.

Mike

no edge

Out on the slopes
Skier
Couldn't agree more!

I wish more teachers, instructors, coaches (and parents) would understand this simple concept in all aspects of life. Develop skills first with strength and fearless last for that final push when it finally counts.
I agree with this but as they develop early on I prefer less of a progression and more of a blend. One can introduce all three somewhat early then go to each one or two as you find appropriate. I am not a fan of strict progression teaching.

Overcoming fear is different for each skier. Even with a broad skill set one skier may have more fear compared to how others experience it.

And what is meant by strength? Is it acquired in the gym or is the word strength more like dynamic skiing - powerful skiing.

And, all of this comes back around to skill. Skills are what develop confidence and that's what will address fear.

Last edited:

tromano

Goin' the way they're pointed...
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Two words - dynamic balance.

When its too steep to walk down without slipping the instinct is to slow down. Sometime running and jumping down is both easier ?and safer? than slowing down.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
Two words - dynamic balance.

When its too steep to walk down without slipping the instinct is to slow down. Sometime running and jumping down is both easier ?and safer? than slowing down.
I advise against running down steeps; your legs will soon not be able to keep up with your speed. Having your skis come off at speed will easily prove this fact to you.

tromano

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Honestly, in your metaphorical shoes, I'd be geeking out on literal boot setup and ski choice. Tweaks in boot feel (tightness, rebound) and in ski behavior that results in feel can do wonders for confidence. IMO, much more than resolutions to bravery.

(I fully support your fitness effort and don't forget the hamstrings)

In the past I would loose confidence and dial it back when my skis would balk. More recently it seems that doubling down can be more effective.

tromano

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I advise against running down steeps; your legs will soon not be able to keep up with your speed. Having your skis come off at speed will easily prove this fact to you.
Again. Dynamic balance.

Your talking about speed. I am talking about balance.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
Again. Dynamic balance.

Your talking about speed. I am talking about balance.
Clearly, I'm not understanding what you mean, but if you are saying that sometimes it's easier to continue at current or even increasing speed, then I agree. Of course the decision also depends on what you will have to face farther down the trail.

Last edited:

Chris V.

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I was the one who came out with the strength, quickness, and balls comment, responding to Blake's more cerebral discussion of the subject. This was addressed specifically to mogul skiing, where the importance of quickness is heightened. And really, a deficiency in any one of the three areas is going to impair advancement in the other two.

Still, it's an instructive way of thinking about the application of skiing skills to any other kind of terrain. But when I say balls is a requirement, it just needs to be in proportion to the difficulty of the task. It doesn't have to mean death-defying, objectively. Beginners tremble and freeze up at the thought of falling on a two degree slope into four inches of fresh powder. Whatever the circumstances and level of fear or intimidation, the skier either has to get over it or give up the idea of skiing that line.

Sponsor

Staff online