• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Tracking App

msutherland

Putting on skis
Skier
What apps does everyone prefer? I have a group of varied ability heading to Banff to ski Sunshine and Lake Louise Sunday. I have an Icon pass and generally use their app if i use one at all. Im not sure if my entire group can keep up with each other if they aren't on Icon. Being able to keep up and locate the beginners in our group is the most important function im looking for. Any advice?

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
Since I'm normally skiing Tremblant, I use the Ikon app too. But I do have Trace Snow on my phone. Haven't used it in a while, so not sure about contacting others through the app. My gang usually just text each other.

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I use the ikon app when I am skiing with a group of ikon passholders. It makes it easy to see where everybody is, as well as where you've been. Most of the time I just use my Carv to keep track of what I've been doing.

Jack skis

Ex 207cm VR17 Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I broke down and got the Ski tracks app. It keeps giving me nonsense and makes my phone say "GPS error" in Sudbury Ontario Canada - on a clear blue-sky day even. Based on my experience it is complete rubbish.
Our experience with Ski Tracks differs. I've used it for years and find it a great way to keep a recored of my ski days. Yes there have been the occasional hiccups (like incredible speeds shown) but they are rare. Sorry yours isn't working out.

TS
M

msutherland

Putting on skis
Skier
Our experience with Ski Tracks differs. I've used it for years and find it a great way to keep a recored of my ski days. Yes there have been the occasional hiccups (like incredible speeds shown) but they are rare. Sorry yours isn't working out.
can you keep up with other people in your group?

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter

TBH, numbers can be misleading.
A steep bumpy tree run s not the same as a blue groomer.

Whether one can keep up with the group is not the task of the group members but it's a task for the group leader.
Ability assessment and pace is the job f the group leader.

TS
M

msutherland

Putting on skis
Skier
Slopes, Strava, Skitracks
TBH, numbers can be misleading.
A steep bumpy tree run s not the same as a blue groomer.

Whether one can keep up with the group is not the task of the group members but it's a task for the group leader.
Ability assessment and pace is the job f the group leader.
uh.... not what I was asking. I meant do these apps keep up with the other group members locations on the mountain.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter

uh.... not what I was asking. I meant do these apps keep up with the other group members locations on the mountain.

Don't need no stinking app.
I ski with groups of varying ability skiers all the time. I find a little common sense and simple communication worked well.
Keep in mind, many mountains have dead zones.

scvaughn

Seeking altitude...
Skier
Ski Tracks works okay for me, but I question the accuracy of its speed and slope readings. It's worth the $2 I paid for it.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Ski tracks isn't an option here... I don't know why everyone is talking about it. The OP is asking for an app that will show them where the other skiers in their group are on the mountain. That's not Ski Tracks.

I haven't used one like that, but know folks who use Strava and the Ikon app for that. And Slopes and Strava can work together, but I don't have experience with that either.

TonyPlush

Out on the slopes
Skier
Don't need no stinking app.
I ski with groups of varying ability skiers all the time. I find a little common sense and simple communication worked well.
Keep in mind, many mountains have dead zones.
Slopes uses GPS data, so zero cell service required. I used it all day at Whitewater recently, despite losing cell service 5 miles from the mountain and never regaining, and the app still tracked my entire day perfectly.

To get to OP’s question though, I know you can share your day with friends but I’m not sure whether it shows other locations in real time.

Sponsor

Staff online