• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Trend in discounts for age

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier
Back in the good ole days (at least 3 or more decades back) 65+ used to be able to get a season pass in Australia for a $15 admin fee.

In the more recent past they've been available at a hefty discount to the normal early bird season discounts and were generally a saving of a few hundred dollars. It was one of the few positive things about advancing age.

Nowadays the just over 65 discount has shrunk considerably. A mere $150 discount to regular pricing. The cheaper price deal now applies to over 70s ($200 for a season pass).

This was the 1st year I qualified for the 65+ deal however it seems the goalposts are continuing to shift. :rolleyes:

What's the trend in other nations?

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
LOL, that's like the folk in Ontario Canada who reached 18, just when the province put the drinking age up to 19. Are they raising the retirement age to 70 in Austrilia? There was some talk of doing that here, just talk though; they wouldn't dare.

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Back in the good ole days (at least 3 or more decades back) 65+ used to be able to get a season pass in Australia for a $15 admin fee.

In the more recent past they've been available at a hefty discount to the normal early bird season discounts and were generally a saving of a few hundred dollars. It was one of the few positive things about advancing age.

Nowadays the just over 65 discount has shrunk considerably. A mere $150 discount to regular pricing. The cheaper price deal now applies to over 70s ($200 for a season pass).

This was the 1st year I qualified for the 65+ deal however it seems the goalposts are continuing to shift. :rolleyes:

What's the trend in other nations?

Same here in the US, at least what I see in the North Eastern part of the country.

Johnny V.

Half Fast Hobby Racer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Our home hill now has a 65-69 season pass rate and a 70+ pass rate. It was cheaper for us to buy the regular pass and a second pass (which is cheaper) than 2 65-69 passes. Next year we get the 70+ rate.

I'll be 70 in February (scary thought) so I may get some 70+ deals for the end of the season. Still seems like a moving target-they'll probably raise it to 75 at many mountains............

SSSdave

life is short precious ...don't waste it
Skier
In general, the vast majority of people reaching their 60s no longer have a body capable of regularly enjoying a sport like skiing. The minority that do and have favored genetics, are likely to have remained active through their mid life. Resorts where wealthy seniors tend to retire after buying local real estate making up significant amount of passes ought not expect much in discounts. Resorts that attract most of their skiers from regional urban areas have more reason to provide discounts.

Daniel

Out on the slopes
Skier
Current unlimited season pass prices at Alta:
Adult $1,249
Seniors age 65 - 79 $949
Seniors ago 80+ $50

The age where one receives a deep discount for a season pass at Alta has been 80 for quite a long time now. The number of season pass holders in the 65 - 79 age bracket and 80+ at Alta is very significant.

TS
geepers

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier
LOL, that's like the folk in Ontario Canada who reached 18, just when the province put the drinking age up to 19. Are they raising the retirement age to 70 in Austrilia? There was some talk of doing that here, just talk though; they wouldn't dare.

Currently still 65 but the retirement age is being slowly raised. People not many years behind me are pretty much locked in to 67 and it will go up in stages. It's mostly through measures like: when superannuation funds (equivalent of 401K) can be accessed and/or payment of pensions. It needs thought as not all occupations can extend - workers involved in hard physical effort can't simply add x years to that effort.

In general, the vast majority of people reaching their 60s no longer have a body capable of regularly enjoying a sport like skiing. The minority that do and have favored genetics, are likely to have remained active through their mid life. Resorts where wealthy seniors tend to retire after buying local real estate making up significant amount of passes ought not expect much in discounts. Resorts that attract most of their skiers from regional urban areas have more reason to provide discounts.

Good points. A seat on the chair doesn't care how old the sitter is.

Heck of a lot more older skiers out there these days than when we were younger. (My dad quit at about 45 even though he was still an active guy - was still sending that golf ball out 200m at 92 and never used a cart.) A lot I put down to shaped, compact skis. Seriously doubt I'd be skiing the places I do these day on those 200+ things. Also boomers mostly grew up in good times.

Wife and I were chuckling one day in the coffee spot at the Canadian resort we go to. That spot is out on the hill so the only people there are skiers/boarders. Place was like an old people's home - although 60+ we were amongst the youngest ones there.

Bill Miles

Old Man Groomer Zoomer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Valley offers a senior discount on day tickets, but none on season passes, even though our season pass price is among the highest in the country.

It is said that if they did, they would go broke.

Wannabeskibum

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
At Killington, the Sr. Pass (>65) is $699 (early pricing)- unlimited, no black out dates. The equivalent adult pass is >$1100. The under 30 pass (unlimited pass) is $729. The over 80 pass is $59.

skidrew

Getting off the lift
Skier
A seat on the chair doesn't care how old the sitter is.
I think this is a lot of it. Resorts are all getting more into yield management and probably have figured out that they're selling too cheap for certain age groups. Also why you see some senior passes with day restrictions (no weekends, etc.), which is actually super sensible - retirees are much more flexible re time so can take weekends off.

weatherman

Getting on the lift
Skier
I think this is a lot of it. Resorts are all getting more into yield management and probably have figured out that they're selling too cheap for certain age groups. Also why you see some senior passes with day restrictions (no weekends, etc.), which is actually super sensible - retirees are much more flexible re time so can take weekends off.
We're getting closer. There is increased focus on customer lifetime value. Older customers have less of their skiing career remaining, and therefor lower value.

There's also the issue of the older customers being the wealthiest. It's backward logic for wealthier demographics to expect lower pricing.

skidrew

Getting off the lift
Skier
As a senior with the choice of 5 mountains; if only 1 or 2 have senior discounts, which one to ski?

There is a place in the world for a senior discount.

Though the same can be said for any skier.

I don't disagree there's a reason for senior discounts, but the sensible way to tailor them, like any price discrimination tactic, is to figure out how to figure out the price sensitivities of the group and how to sell them something at a lower price where you'd be getting lower revenue anyway. Senior discounts that allow use at peak times is just a favor to seniors. Senior discounts that target their flexibility and recognize their limitations are business sense. (The latter is like Alta's $50 80+ pass - they know that very few of that group is going to ski more than a couple runs).

The bigger challenge with seniors generally is that because they don't work they may use their season ticket *more* than a typical local who has to work to pay for the ticket, which makes it harder to justify a discount, especially if it includes peak days.

Last edited:

weatherman

Getting on the lift
Skier
The bigger challenge with seniors generally is that because they don't work they may use their season ticket *more* than a typical local who has to work to pay for the ticket, which makes it harder to justify a discount, especially if it includes peak days.
This. I am lucky enough to have a job that allows lots of midweek skiing. When I lived in New England, I almost exclusively saw grey haired men skiing mid-week. Admittedly now in Colorado it is mostly just vacationers.

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
I agree. Locally, the median income is around $43,000. We have recently become more of a destination resort, but locals still make up a substantial portion of the skiers here. Many of the seniors are existing on social security. Retired teachers, carpenters, ski instructors, fishing guides, logging industry people, etc. Sure, there are folks that moved here after they retired or own second homes here, but a ton of the seniors are on small fixed incomes. Personally, most of the people I know well have seasonal lockers, which these days automatically separates the born here folks from the moved here folks because the lockers have gotten outrageous. But I know that most of the hard core seniors do not have big bucks.

JoeSchmoe

Snowboarder
Skier
Sure, there are folks that moved here after they retired or own second homes here, but a ton of the seniors are on small fixed incomes

Not related to this discussion, but I've always rolled my eyes at the line of seniors being on "fixed incomes". In reality, the vast majority of people are on fixed incomes.

Relatively few people in today's world can decide to work extra at their jobs for more money.

Last edited:

SSSdave

life is short precious ...don't waste it
Skier
Dated from 2 winters ago.

seniors ski for free 2020
StateResortAge Require ment
ArizonaArizona Snow Bowl70+
ArizonaMount Lemmon70+
CaliforniaMountain High80+
CaliforniaSnow Valley80+
CaliforniaBear Mt.80+
CaliforniaJune Mt.80+
CaliforniaMammoth80+
CaliforniaSnow Summit80+
CaliforniaSquaw Valley/Alpine Meadows80+
CaliforniaDodge Ridge82+
CaliforniaAlta Sierra90+
ColoradoCranor62+
ColoradoMonarch69+
ColoradoSki Hesperus70+
ColoradoCooper80+
ColoradoPurgatory80+
ColoradoSunlight80+
ColoradoWolf Creek80+
ColoradoTelluride80+
IdahoBald Mt.70+
IdahoSchweitzer80+
New MexicoCloudcroft70+
New MexicoRed River70+
New MexicoSki Apache.70+
New MexicoSandia Peak72+
New MexicoSanta Fe72+
New MexicoPajarito75+
New MexicoAngel Fire75+
New MexicoSipapu75+
New MexicoTaos80+
OregonAnthony Lakes70+
OregonCooper Spur70+
OregonMt. Ashland70+
OregonMt. Hood Ski Bowl71+
OregonSummit Ski Timberline71+
OregonMt. Hood Meadows75+
UtahNordic Valley75+
UtahPowder Mt.75+
UtahAlta80+
WashingtonBluewood70+
WashingtonWhite Pass73+
WashingtonCrystal Mt.80+
WashingtonMt. Spokane80+
Washington49 Degrees N80+
WashingtonStevens Pass90+
WyomingHogadon70+
WyomingJackson Hole70+
WyomingSnowy Range70+

johnnyvw

Out on the slopes
Skier
The idea that skiing seniors are "wealthy" isn't true. Maybe in some cases, but for us "working class" seniors we are on fixed and limited incomes. A low senior pass price keeps us on the slopes, especially at today's high day pass price. All well and good to have cheap multi-resort passes, but if you don't live close to a couple of them and can't afford to travel much, those don't do much good. Blue Mountain and Camelback just bumped up the age for a steeply discounted senior pass, just as I came into the 65+ age bracket. Which means I won't be skiing there. I'm looking forward to moving to NC where the ski areas still give discounts for 65+. One area is actually free (free free, free free free LOL) Guess where I'll be spending my food and hotel money?
My situation for expendable income has changed drastically since 5 years ago. One of the things I looked forward to was those discounted passes. Those areas just told me they don't want me there. Buh-bye...
Oh, and when I introduce my grandson to skiing, guess where he'll be going to?

Sponsor

Staff online