• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Two Subarus blow up in a day

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Can you point me to any references for "They pretty much fail right around 100K..."

It's all over the Subaru forums.. Every time I'd go looking for info about something else i'd come across those testimonials along with the head gasket sagas

trailtrimmer

Stuck in the Flatlands
Skier
Needed new power steering and alternator belts at 70K

I totally forgot about our 2012 being on it's third serpentine belt and pullys. The single belt system was poorly engineered, more $$$ out of my pocket and lots of noise. Belts should only need replacing every 75k to 100k or every five years in this day and age. Hell, I'd be happy with every 50k or 60k and not every 25 to 30.

Horrible cars, Toyota or Honda from here on out.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
Horrible cars, Toyota or Honda from here on out.

Having said that..my 2008 Honda Civic had a cracked engine block, barely covered under a special extended warranty for that particular item, alternator went at 80k, MAF sensor went at 40k and stranded me, upper rear control arms were replaced under TSB after they wore the shoulder of the tires down to the cords in 30k, pro-rated value per tire was $5. That car is probably the worst I've ever owned. So I wouldn't be too sure that Toyota and Honda are all that great to be honest.

As for calipers seizing, happens on MANY vehicles..that's why they should be inspected every 2 years.

TS
newfydog

newfydog

Making fresh tracks
Skier
"No one is buying Subaru's any more, they are too popular.."

There is a local band with a song about Bend and the Subarus---"I love my Subaru.......I know you love yours too.."

The first one I bought was a 1978, replacing all the horrible student cars I suffered through. In those days the "chain law" in Colorado was strict---chains or snow tires with 4WD. I'd pull up to the checkpoint on a pass and they'd go "oh wow, this thing has 4WD!" Only a few hard core skiers had them.

Last edited:

Muleski

Inactive
The head gasket issues, got whatever reason seem to have always been on the normally aspirated four cylinder engines. Not the 2.5L Turbo, and not the 3.0L or 3.6L sixes. In our extended family, we've had I think six Subies. The most recent is a NA four. Hopefully better than the past. Not head gasket issues on the others. Outback XT, LGT, Outback 3.0 R's.

Calipers, rotors, pads. My experience with these cars is that the guide pins in the calipers need to be lubed pretty frequently to maintain their functionality. We also dump the OEM pads and rotors as soon as they wear down. Have had better luck with a good ceramic pad and a decent aftermarket rotor. Lubing guide pins in a big help. Most dealers skip it. Subie specific techs, depending on the part of the country, are all over it.

In general, I think the comments about many, many expensive and aggravating issues happening earlier than expected are very valid. I'm not thinking of drive belts. We've had things like steering racks, starters, alternators, a lot of suspension parts, axles, CV boots, more electrical gremlins...I could go on. In our family, a lot of this is 2005-2009 generation. A couple of cars have been "less needy" than others.

Most just seem to happen "too soon", and relative to other cars that we have owned {Older Toyotas, various German cars} they make you question the build quality. Full disclosure, the newest car in the family is, I think a 2011.

Family friend has just replaced a 2002 {I think} with about 250K miles with a brand new four cylinder Outback. Will be interested to see how that goes long term. The old one did have it's head gasket replaced, but was otherwise a little workhorse. Ran like a reliable appliance and great in snow. A Subaru.

I don't think any will be replaced with another Subaru. Car shopping is kind of maddening these days, at least for us.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Ya, Midas mentioned adding lots of lube to the caliper parts last time saying it is a common problem with Foresters... fingers crossed..

Muleski

Inactive
Ya, Midas mentioned adding lots of lube to the caliper parts last time saying it is a common problem with Foresters... fingers crossed..

Yep. It's almost always what people refer to as the "guide pins" or "slide pins". Very simple. Not unique to the Subie.
Calipers are pretty cheap, BTW. So replacing them is not a bit deal. Also, if one is so inclined, pretty easy DIY job on most cars...certainly a Subie.

scott43

Skier
Corrosion on the caliper body pinches the pad clip and squeezes the pad causing it to bind. It's not usually the sliders in my experience, those are well guarded by rubber boots and well lubed. The caliper body and clips are exposed to the elements. Mostly on rears. I always sand off the corrosion with some emery cloth and lube the new clips and caliper body well when doing the brakes. Even still, 3 years usually and I'm doing it again.

Muleski

Inactive
Subaru's head gasket issues started with they went from the 2.2 to 2.5 liter motors.

Yep. But seems like no 2.5 turbos, which has never really made sense to me. Have had two, maybe 275K between the two. But our techs {maybe three shops} have all said, no problems. Maybe somebody knows why?

Now, keeping the fingers crossed on the turbo holding together as the mileage builds up is part of the process. Good oil, clean banjo bolt filters. Warm up, cool down. Abs crossed fingers.

Snowfan

aka Eric Nelson
Skier
From 2007 to 2016, Subaru was building Toyota Camrys at their Indiana plant to help Toyota meet demand. I think during that time the quality has risen significantly. The past couple years and current cars, even with 100k+ miles do not have chronic head gasket or oil consumption problems, at least not in the forum I visit. http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/138-gen-5-2015-present/

Car forums largely attract diyer's that need to fix stuff. To a degree, the owners of cars that need nothing are not in forums until it does.

Of course, I hope my 17 Outback does not have issues that develop as the miles pile up. Regardless, its a tool, not a jewel. If it becomes a liability in any way I'll dump it and try something else. So far, with 18,000 miles in 5 months, all is well.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
FWIW, I will pick up my 05 Forester today. Plug wire and terminal was broken, causing the “check engine light” and misfiring on a cylinder.
New brake pads and rotors (front), did an oil change and power steering fluid flush while we were at it. About $800 parts and labor. The car will do just fine if I want to get it to 300K miles (which I do, currently at 237,774).

Most importantly, it’s almost time to get the snow tires mounted.

trailtrimmer

Stuck in the Flatlands
Skier
As for calipers seizing, happens on MANY vehicles..that's why they should be inspected every 2 years.

Out of every car I've owned or maintained for a family member, this is the only one I've needed to chuck the calipers on under four years of age when they receive proper lubrication during pad replacement. I shouldn't need to empty a tube of grease in them every two years, it's a poor design and not acceptable in this day and age.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
By the way, has anyone noticed that Subarus seem to have disappeared from nationwide corp. rental lots?
That has to do more with discounts and buying power. Subaru can make more per unit selling retail right now and not to have to discount cars to sell to rental fleets.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
That has to do more with discounts and buying power. Subaru can make more per unit selling retail right now and not to have to discount cars to sell to rental fleets.

Yes, but you shouldn't stop there. If you go one step further: it also eliminates the back-to-factory feedback path of high-usage cars and early-ownership breakdowns within the environment of a controlled maintenance protocol. Which drops service bulletins, known warranty issues, and (heavens!) hypothetical recalls further behind the curve.

Profit vs. halving or thirding the pool of gamma testers, eh?

tromano

Goin' the way they're pointed...
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
My 07 OBS had its head gasket replaced last summer at 105k miles along with the CAT and a valve tune. Runs better now than new. Also changed the suspension to forester struts so it's basically a cross trek with. 2.5 engine. I am planning to keep it for a while.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
My 07 OBS had its head gasket replaced last summer at 105k miles along with the CAT and a valve tune. Runs better now than new. Also changed the suspension to forester struts so it's basically a cross trek with. 2.5 engine. I am planning to keep it for a while.

Have you noticed a change in the steering at all?

Sponsor