• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Unicorn Search: mid-sized 4WD/AWD New England vehicle with decent gas mileage

TS
lisamamot

lisamamot

Lisa MA MOT
Skier
Clarification on the widget I posted above. It doesn't disable the start/stop feature. It disables Subaru's factory default that always resets the start/stop feature to on every time you start the car. With the widget installed the start/stop stays the way you set it, on or off, when you start the car. So in the boonies you can leave it off, and in traffic you can turn it on.
Oooh that would be handy….hmmmm.

Slemers

Getting off the lift
Skier
Keeping it on is easy. So you're in luck!
I installed the Auto/Start/Stop/Eliminator on my Outback Onynx.
To save the 99 bucks you can just turn on the defroster or mirror heat to accomplish the same thing. It disables the auto-stop-start feature.
The device was easy enough to install if you are handy at all.

wiread

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I put a resistor in our Honda to prevent the cylinder deactivation after having it foul up 3 of the 6 cylinders in our Odyssey, but I never felt the need to disable the auto start/stop in my truck. It's ready to go before I can get my foot from the break to the gas and I haven't worn out a starter in 30 years so I just leave it be.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
I can't recall if it's been mentioned or not, and I'm not reviewing the whole thread to find out, but I would seriously consider a Mazda 3 were I looking for an efficient practical 4x4.

Have to admit:
Ground clearance might be a little low for deep snow, but a good set of Hakkas will get you by most storms, plowing snow with the air dam. I would just settle for the front wheel drive 2.0 L. Noted, the standard 155 HP seems a little weak after driving a fun car all summer (now driving the 2012 version of same), still preferable to the 186 turbo in the GT considering reliability and fuel economy.

TS
lisamamot

lisamamot

Lisa MA MOT
Skier
I can't recall if it's been mentioned or not, and I'm not reviewing the whole thread to find out, but I would seriously consider a Mazda 3 were I looking for an efficient practical 4x4.
The Mazda CX-3 is a great little car, emphasis on little thought. My daughter has the CX-5 and it is a great car, but too small for my purposes. Super fun to drive - I have always loved Mazdas.

Rudi Riet

AKA songfta AKA randomduck - a USSS coach, as well
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter

Have to admit:
Ground clearance might be a little low for deep snow, but a good set of Hakkas will get you by most storms, plowing snow with the air dam. I would just settle for the front wheel drive 2.0 L. Noted, the standard 155 HP seems a little weak after driving a fun car all summer (now driving the 2012 version of same), still preferable to the 186 turbo in the GT considering reliability and fuel economy.

Sadly the AWD options for a Mazda3 5-door in the USA are... not great. All of them have the 191hp engine. If you want a manual you can't get AWD.

Honestly, kinda jealous of the options you have north of the border. There are some totally sensible cars there that we could really use here in the southlands.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Sadly the AWD options for a Mazda3 5-door in the USA are... not great. All of them have the 191hp engine. If you want a manual you can't get AWD.

Honestly, kinda jealous of the options you have north of the border. There are some totally sensible cars there that we could really use here in the southlands.
That leaves Subaru. I think by now they have their problems sorted out, at least in the non-turbo 4. - Can you still get a 4x4 non-turbo 4 cylinder in a standard? ( I still consider the front wheel drive under-powered model preferable).

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier

Buy it here and take it back? NAFTA means no duty on vehicles mfgd in the US or Mexico. Your dollar is far stronger. It's relatively easy to do the reverse provided you know the hoops. We bought our Outback in New York and saved about $12-15k.. I imagine they don't make it easy because of US dealers but it can work.

snwbrdr

Out on the slopes
Skier
Subaru Ascent has a recall for fire risk.

Don't park in a garage or near a building structure.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The Mazda 3 sport (hatchback) sedan is bigger on the inside than the CX-3 CUV.

But it's luggage compartment is so short. I never understand why auto makers shorten the hatchback version of a car, which I presume is being shopped by people with a more practical bent?!

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
But it's luggage compartment is so short. I never understand why auto makers shorten the hatchback version of a car, which I presume is being shopped by people with a more practical bent?!
Yeah, you may as well get the sedan.
At one time I was considering switching my Mazda 3 hatchback for a CX-3 hatchback for more ground clearance, which I thought it would have lots of being a 4 wheel drive variety.
I was surprised at how small the CX-3 was.
Quick google search

Car companies are almost as bad as ski companies; now they also have a CX-30 (for a while they had both, don't know about 2023).

bbinder

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
My daughter was looking for a new (well, new used) car because her 2007 BMW 328xi was beginning to get unreliable. We test drove Subarus and did not like the handling at all. She felt that the CX-3 was too small for her and did not bother a test drive. She drove the CX-30 and the handing and fit/finish was night and day compared to Subaru - it felt satisfactory compared to her BMW. So she bought the CX-30 and is quite happy with it.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
What really through me off the "new and improved" CX-30, when it came out was all the added computer trickery having the car "assist" me in my driving, that the single-diget line did not force on you. Better a CX-5, but then we are not into a fuel efficient car; we are into a vehicle that is fuel efficient "for what it is".

TS
lisamamot

lisamamot

Lisa MA MOT
Skier
My daughter was looking for a new (well, new used) car because her 2007 BMW 328xi was beginning to get unreliable. We test drove Subarus and did not like the handling at all. She felt that the CX-3 was too small for her and did not bother a test drive. She drove the CX-30 and the handing and fit/finish was night and day compared to Subaru - it felt satisfactory compared to her BMW. So she bought the CX-30 and is quite happy with it.
Agreed. My Outback gives me all the bells and whistles I wanted, wrapped up in a highly practical and unexciting drive experience. For highly practical late 50s me, I am good with that and I purposefully made the choice. For early 20s, my daughter's CX-5 is a blast to drive and a great match for her - it fits her young and sporty lifestyle; she regularly drives with herself, her boyfriend and their 50#+ pup, plus the vehicle will transition well into an expanded family life if/when the need arises.

Sponsor

Staff online