• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Vegetarian recipes ( Mains or sides )

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I am not a vegetarian, but I eat a lot of meatless meals and/or plenty of vegetable sides with meat. I've also been tasked with cooking for a vegetarian living in our house for the past year, and counting. I'm always on the hunt for something new to explore culinary wise. I know, there are plenty of recipes out there on the net and veggie cookbooks galore, but sometimes suggestions from like minded people can spark an interest in a sea awash with too many options. Post your favs here. Easy-peasy is great, but to all-day-in-the-kicth works too. Shortcuts with prepackaged item are great too. Links to good recipes work too.

I'll start with an easy-peasy side dish that hits big on flavor and checks the protein box too.

Pan roasted butter beans with rosemary and EVO.

1 can of Butter Beans drained and rinsed. Spread out on a paper towel to dry some of the rinse water off.
2-3 tablespoons of chopped fresh rosemary. Use only fresh rosemary, dried does not work for this.
Cooking olive oil
Good EVO you'd use in a salad.
Sea salt.

-In a non-stick pan heat a little cooking olive oil ( a TBS or 2) and add beans.
-Add sea salt to taste.
-Pan roast the beans over low-med heat for 10 min. You want some browning. Carful -beans may pop as they are heated. I use low heat. A pan cover works here too. Stir occasionally.
-Add chopped rosemary about midway thru the browning. The beans don't need to be browned all over. You're are just heating/cooking the beans with some caramelization.
-If pan becomes excessively dry add more cooking olive oil. The beans will absorb oil as they cook, but don't add too much of the cheap oil while cooking because you want the beans to absorb the good oil at the end.
-The more you cook and stir the beans the more they break up. Some paste from broken beans is good. If you want a bean spread instead of a bean side dish, keep cooking and stirring.
-When beans are done to your liking, and they should be a little dry in the pan ( but not completely parched) , turn off heat and wait 30 seconds-1 minute for pan to cool slightly- you just don't want to overheat your good oil. While beans are still warm add a generous amount of your good EVO. The better the EVO, the better this bean dish gets. Give it a quick stir and serve.

Serve it as a side dish, or if you cooked it to a paste, spread it on good toasted French baguette.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
I love cabbage, fake bacon and egg noodles. My Hungarian grandma used to make this with real bacon when I was growing up. When I was a vegetarian I subbed real bacon with the fake stuff and I loved it just the same.

TS
Scruffy

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Quick and easy Jerked Seitan using pre-packaged seitan. I use Uptone Seitan since it's sold in my area and has a good selection of flavored and styles of seitan. For this dish you don't want any pre-flavored. This dish is a great way to use left over rice from a Chinese or Indian take out meal.

1656547276635.png

Some left over rice, or cook some up. 1/2 a cup - 1 cup.
1 can of black beans. I use Bush's seasoned black beans.
1 package of Uptone traditional seitan, or whatever you have access to.
2-3 TBS of Jerk paste. I use Busha Brown's Jerk paste season rub. I've also used Walkerwood-both are good.
1656547728325.png 1656547778704.png
Some veggie broth, maybe 1/2 a cup or a little more.

- Heat the beans in a sauce pan. Use the can liquid from the beans in this dish.
- Heat the leftover rice in another sauce pan with a little veggie broth to moisten, or cook some rice.
- Heat some olive oil in a non-stick saute pan and add the seitan and break it up with a wooden spatula with a sharp end. Brown seitan and then add the jerk seasoning paste/rub to taste. It cooks quickly.
- Continue cooking and add a little veggie broth to give it some saucyness.

To serve - rice on one side of plate and beans spooned over rice. Jerked seitan on other side of plate.

TS
Scruffy

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I love cabbage, fake bacon and egg noodles. My Hungarian grandma used to make this with real bacon when I was growing up. When I was a vegetarian I subbed real bacon with the fake stuff and I loved it just the same.

Sounds yummy. I'll have to hunt down a recipe and give it a go.

TS
Scruffy

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I picked a Kohlrabi and some beets from my garden. I searched for a slaw recipe that include both, and found this one. We had it this evening. It was delish and I'll be making it again.

LuliTheYounger

I'm just here to bother my mom
Skier
TS
Scruffy

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Love this thread idea @Scruffy!

Super simple, but we've been making this NYT Cooking pasta with tomato and greens a ton. Instead of boiling the pasta separately, you just add boiling water and all the tomatoes into a big pan with the pasta & cook it together. Super easy but the pasta itself soaks up a lot more flavor than the usual pasta with veggies situation. https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1018322-one-pot-spaghetti-with-cherry-tomatoes-and-kale

I Love ways to cook pasta that absorb sauce. I'll try it.

TS
Scruffy

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Speaking of new ways to cook pasta. I made this new to me pasta dish last week that absolutely blew me away. I've dreaming of this dish and can't wait to cook it again; it has infected my psyche. It's a veggie dish, could be vegan without using parm cheese. I didn't use the pickled serrano peppers, I used pan blistered Shishito peppers, since that's what I had. But either of those are just a garnish so they don't really change the basic pasta recipe. This is so yummy.

Spaghetti all'assassina​

skiki

Out on the slopes
Skier
You can give a basic tomato sauce a heartier (instead of meatier) substance and flavour by adding roasted eggplant. Cut a small eggplant in half, brush the cut sides with olive oil and put it cut side down on some parchment or foil and bake until soft. Then you just scrape the roasted flesh from the skin and add it to your sauce. Layer it in a pan with sliced zucchini and cheese for a spin on ratatouille.

skiki

Out on the slopes
Skier
Pan toasted garbanzos (which is more fun to say than chickpea) are quick to make and easy to make variations. Drain and towel dry a can of garbanzos. Toss in cornstarch to coat liberally. Then just toast them in a hot pan with a touch of olive oil until crisped on the outside, adding seasoning part way through. I like cumin or harissa powder, but dig through your spice cupboard and try different combos. Basic garlic powder, curry, smoked paprika are all good. Or cinnamon, a pinch of sugar to carmalize, and just enough cayenne to add a kick. Vegan, dairy free, gluten free and nut free, so also works as nibbles with a pre-dinner glass of wine when food sensitivities might be an issue.

TS
Scruffy

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Pan toasted garbanzos (which is more fun to say than chickpea) are quick to make and easy to make variations. Drain and towel dry a can of garbanzos. Toss in cornstarch to coat liberally. Then just toast them in a hot pan with a touch of olive oil until crisped on the outside, adding seasoning part way through. I like cumin or harissa powder, but dig through your spice cupboard and try different combos. Basic garlic powder, curry, smoked paprika are all good. Or cinnamon, a pinch of sugar to carmalize, and just enough cayenne to add a kick. Vegan, dairy free, gluten free and nut free, so also works as nibbles with a pre-dinner glass of wine when food sensitivities might be an issue.

I need to try this. I'm not a huge fan of garbanzos, but this sounds like it might transform them. Thanks.

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Grilled Eggplant Parm, sort of.

Slice some small to medium size eggplants in half lengthwise add some salt, pepper and olive oil and grill on cut side for about 5 minutes. Flip and grill skin side for same. Them remove and place on baking sheet cut side up. Top with marinara sauce of your choice and slices of fresh mozzarella and some parmesan cheese on top of that. Put back on warm grill. I usually turn the grill off as all you need is enough heat to melt the cheese a bit. Serve with fresh basil on top.

We usually serve the above, and sometimes the below recipe with freesh zoodles.

We like to make a side dish called deconstructed pesto: Toast some pine nuts. Make aluminum foil packets and throw in some tomatoes, olive oil, seasonings, garlic, the toasted pine nuts. Cook on grill for about 5 minutes. Serve with fresh basil. Great side dish for summer grilling.

ADKmel

Skiing the powder
Skier
tofu.... Firm tofu. slice, liberally sprinkle with garlic powder, any spices you like-- italian seasonings or chinese 5 spice -paprika- sprinkle with some soy (tarmari is my fav) and bake- 400- 15-20min- flip cook til crispy like chips or leave a bit soft- best sandwich fake meat going :)

Soft tofu- put in blender with parm cheese, dash of nutmeg, S&P, splash of liquid -milk, fake milk enough to liquefy. Saute lots of your favorite veggies- when veggies cooked to your liking pour the tofu mix over- Veggie Alfredo put over Soba noodles for lots of protein.

I stuff lots of veggies with more veggies- eggplant, squashes- I make lots of veggies, layer like making lasagna

I'll look up my vegan chocolate cake- and other veggie recipes

One of my first and still favorite veggie cookbook is 'Moosewood" Veggie restaurant in Ithaca

1656621115383.png

Last edited:
TS
Scruffy

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
TS
Scruffy

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
tofu.... Firm tofu. slice, liberally sprinkle with garlic powder, any spices you like-- italian seasonings or chinese 5 spice -paprika- sprinkle with some soy (tarmari is my fav) and bake- 400- 15-20min- flip cook til crispy like chips or leave a bit soft- best sandwich fake meat going :)

Soft tofu- put in blender with parm cheese, dash of nutmeg, S&P, splash of liquid -milk, fake milk enough to liquefy. Saute lots of your favorite veggies- when veggies cooked to your liking pour the tofu mix over- Veggie Alfredo put over Soba noodles for lots of protein.

I stuff lots of veggies with more veggies- eggplant, squashes- I make lots of veggies, layer like making lasagna

I'll look up my vegan chocolate cake- and other veggie recipes

One of my first and still favorite veggie cookbook is 'Moosewood" Veggie restaurant in Ithaca

View attachment 172415
A restaurant near here made tofu fries similar to yours. I'll have to try the chips. Thanks.

Sponsor

Staff online