• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Vegetarian recipes ( Mains or sides )

BTaylor

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Skier
This recipe for Baked Sweet and Sour Lentils is originally from the Rochester Zen Center, where I practiced meditation many years ago. Delish with a side serving of cottage cheese.

SWEET AND SOUR LENTILS

2 cups lentils, picked over and rinsed well. I usually use brown lentils.
4 cups cold water
1 bay leaf
½ teaspoons onion powder

Sweet and sour sauce:
¼ cup canola oil
1½–2 tablespoons each dark brown sugar, molasses and honey
¼ cup cider vinegar
¼ teaspoon ground ginger
½ teaspoon salt
⅛ teaspoon ground cloves
¼ teaspoon cumin
1½–2 tablespoons tamari soy sauce

Bring lentils to boil in water with bay leaf and onion powder. When fully cooked—after about 25 to 35 minutes—add remaining ingredients.

Really Important Note: If lentils are not completely cooked before the sweet and sour mixture is added, they will not finish cooking and will remain hard and inedible. Taste them before adding the sauce to avoid that sad state of affairs.

Now: into the oven in a covered baking dish, at 350° for approximately one hour, or until sweet and sour mixture is partially absorbed. The consistency of the lentils should be similar to moist baked beans—neither dry nor soupy.

Serve with cottage cheese, crusty bread, and salad.

Serves 6-8

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
Spinach Lasagna is very good for a meatless meal. You use a meatless red sauce and add lightly steamed spinach that has been well drained as you layer the lasagna and cheese, bake as you would if it was a regular lasagna. It is very good.

TS
Scruffy

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
This potato dish is a bit involved, but oh so worth it. I'm making this tonight.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
The biggest problem vegetarians have, particularly exercising vegetarians, is hitting their macros, specifically the protein macro. More specifically, the balanced protein macro.

Think about it this way. A reasonably fit, moderately exercising 5'5" person needs between 130 - 170 grams of protein per day. That's 3 entire bricks of tofu per day. Every day. In dairy (if eating dairy) terms that is 5 32oz tubs of Greek yogurt per day. Taller and larger persons will need more, possibly much more than that.

So, moral to story? When cooking for vegans and vegetarians long term PLAN THE PROTEIN FIRST. If (whatever dish you are making) has less protein than 1 in 8 by dry weight, your guests are better off eating straight oatmeal.

Not kidding.

Vegan and vegetarian dishes invented by non-vegetarians always fail the 1 in 8 protein test - unless they're basically frying tofu. Or serving cheese, in which case every gram of protein comes with one and a half grams of fat. Ground nuts, particularly peanuts, are actually just about as bad as cheese.

I'll say that again -both cheese and peanut protein are far better sources of dietary fat than dietary protein. STOP throwing them at carb-loaded dishes for token protein content. Just stop.

In practical terms, ask yourself " 1) Is there a tasty way to do beans and corn today? 2) What other legumes/ ground nuts can I use and will that be too fatty? 3) See question 1"

Last edited:

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
I need to try this. I'm not a huge fan of garbanzos,

Neither am I - but using them as chickpea flour is a completely different story. The protein to dry weight ratio is 1 in 5 - far better than oatmeal. :D

Purchaser note: there's Indian and Italian chickpea flour, the Indian style doesn't make a good farinata.

Also, the next time you do a Milanese (runny style) polenta, do add chickpea flour.

TS
Scruffy

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The biggest problem vegetarians have, particularly exercising vegetarians, is hitting their macros, specifically the protein macro. More specifically, the balanced protein macro.

Think about it this way. A reasonably fit, moderately exercising 5'5" person needs between 130 - 170 grams of protein per day. That's 3 entire bricks of tofu per day. Every day. In dairy (if eating dairy) terms that is 5 32oz tubs of Greek yogurt per day. Taller and larger persons will need more, possibly much more than that.

So, moral to story? When cooking for vegans and vegetarians long term PLAN THE PROTEIN FIRST. If (whatever dish you are making) has less protein than 1 in 8 by dry weight, your guests are better off eating straight oatmeal.

Not kidding.

Vegan and vegetarian dishes invented by non-vegetarians always fail the 1 in 8 protein test - unless they're basically frying tofu. Or serving cheese, in which case every gram of protein comes with one and a half grams of fat. Ground nuts, particularly peanuts, are actually just about as bad as cheese.

I'll say that again -both cheese and peanut protein are far better sources of dietary fat than dietary protein. STOP throwing them at carb-loaded dishes for token protein content. Just stop.

In practical terms, ask yourself " 1) Is there a tasty way to do beans and corn today? 2) What other legumes/ ground nuts can I use and will that be too fatty? 3) See question 1"

Vegetarian sausages are a good source ( 24g per link ). Tempi is also high in protein. Farro is 24g a cup. Other grains too, like spelt, amaranth, Quinoa , kamut, etc.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Vegetarian sausages are a good source ( 24g per link ). Tempi is also high in protein. Farro is 24g a cup. Other grains too, like spelt, amaranth, Quinoa , kamut, etc.

You came out strong on the bean dishes, so I figured you were aware of the problem :) :thumb:

One problem I've found with veg sausages is that they can absolutely reek to meat eaters. Almost - but not quite - as bad as a meat-based stock pot on the go is for vegetarians.

TS
Scruffy

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
One problem I've found with veg sausages is that they can absolutely reek to meat eaters. Almost - but not quite - as bad as a meat-based stock pot on the go is for vegetarians.

This can be a problem for some. I like to hide them in frittatas, chilis, soups, and casserole type dishes.

Jwrags

Aka pwdrhnd
Skier
I made this vegan soup/stew a couple of nights ago. White beans, lentils, carrots, celery, roasted tomatoes, kale.
254661C7-A458-4C53-9B40-9E4C41ED4608.jpeg

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
Have you thought about an asparagus frittata? It is quick and easy to make, eggs, chopped steamed asparagus, and grated parmesan cheese cooked in a large cast iron pan with olive oil.

skiki

Out on the slopes
Skier
My husband is from TX. Before we met a previous gf had him over for dinner. His mom asked what she made. Eggplant. What meat? None. “What country is she from?!?”

Sponsor

Staff online