Viable at-home alternative to grinding?

surfski

Booting up
Skier
I do not have a steel scraper and no experience of using one but im very carefull and good with my hands so I will buy one to add to my growing tool kit and see if i can take the base down. If i then get to try the skis and start to appreciate them I can get a grind in the future

Scruffy

Out on the slopes
Skier
I do not have a steel scraper and no experience of using one but im very carefull and good with my hands so I will buy one to add to my growing tool kit and see if i can take the base down. If i then get to try the skis and start to appreciate them I can get a grind in the future
Google how to set a burr on that scraper ( look in woodworking stuff ) or it won't do much. The burr will need to be reset from time to time.

surfski

Booting up
Skier
thanks scruffy yes ive read that and to file the edge to raise a burr, oh and that a strong pair of hands would help -:)

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
That and onies. :roflmao:

Rumor has it that when they were an in thing, all stock all of a sudden vanished killing the potential market. And now many, many years later some one still has stock, makes one wonder.

Peace @Jacques:beercheer:

Doug Briggs

So much better than a pro
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
If he has a 4* bevel he is going to look like the Rock when he is done. He'll also have to intermix edge removal with base removal.

BTW what is 'plastic creep'?

surfski

Booting up
Skier
Hi guys
Thank you Jacques for the link but thanks to Noodler also as I followed his link to find and watch a series of 8 videos of you prepping some Dynastars and how to scrape. I have ordered a Bahco scraper and will be getting to work as soon as this arrives.
As for the 4* bevel this was the very high angle needed to get a diamond stone to touch the edge when in a TOKO 1* base guide i was lifted up maybe 1/4 inch to make contact. Knowing this was almost certainly impossible to be the case I sanded out a short section to get the base down to the level of the edge and tried again. This showed the edge angle to be almost a perfect 1* angle but high bases.
What I am VERY interested in is getting this changed and then seeing if miracle of miracles I find this ski many like a lot is not as loathsome as i find them

Jacques

Workin' It on Skis Best I Can
Skier

Doug Briggs

So much better than a pro
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester

Jacques

Workin' It on Skis Best I Can
Skier
Oh, please. :rolleyes:

How about a non-technical description and how it applies to flattening skis?
It happens with a belt sander more than a stone grind, but it causes the amorphous areas to become clogged up. Heat must be avoided when sanding or grinding. Still the plastic gets all "smooshed" around and the base will not absorb wax.