• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

W Champs Parallel Slalom: Men vs Womens times

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
Watching women’s football causes me acute case of Spanish shame. If you know what I mean…

No. I have NO idea what you mean.
Doubt if i want or need to... best leave it there.

Last edited:

Rich_Ease_3051

Getting off the lift
Pass Pulled
I think with sports that use "transport as an equipment", no mere mortal can compete with professional female athletes.

The deciding factor is that the transport is aiding or levelling the inherent physical disadvantages of the female of the species.

Think Danica Patrick having mastery of a race car or Mikaela having mastery of a ski. Ski is a transport.

With sports that are not aided by transport equipment but rely on brute human strength, speed, agility, etc, I can confidently say that any top level high school athlete can beat or at least be competitive with professional female athletes.

Rich_Ease_3051

Getting off the lift
Pass Pulled
Meh…I’d rather watch U12 kids.

And I meant football, not this rugby thingy. The one that is played with…feet you know, as the name suggests.
Top level high school footy/rugby players would put these pro female footy/rugby players in a hospital ICU if they ever bang on the field I guarantee it. I don't care if they're Islanders with superior genetics. They would be put in a hospital by strong boys.

Maybe a morgue.

Last edited:

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier
Meh…I’d rather watch U12 kids.

And I meant football, not this rugby thingy. The one that is played with…feet you know, as the name suggests.

You mean this...ah... sport?

As for women's soccer, nothing wrong with this for athleticism.

Top level high school footy/rugby players would put these pro female footy/rugby players in a hospital ICU if they ever bang on the field I guarantee it. I don't care if they're Islanders with superior genetics. They would be put in a hospital by strong boys.

Not really the issue. It's why there are separate men/women competition. Same thing with age and weight divisions. The question is whether or not it makes an entertaining spectacle.

Rich_Ease_3051

Getting off the lift
Pass Pulled
Not really the issue. It's why there are separate men/women competition. Same thing with age and weight divisions. The question is whether or not it makes an entertaining spectacle.

There are many people such as Tony and myself who find female of the species slower and weaker compared to men and are not entertained as such and would never watch it because it's boring. The entertainment comes from watching the maximum brute force, speed, agility, reflexes, etc that the human species is capable of and in some sports, women cannot cut it.

Just trying to explain the entertainment factor from a certain spectator's point of view.

In some sports, those that use transport as an equipment, women can clearly cut it. Danica Patrick is proof having won a race event against a field of men. But I think that's a different genre of sports, ie sports with transport as an equipment, and in this type of sports, women can be competitive against men to some degree. I put skiing in this category. I think it's possible one day that women can match the times set by men in slalom. Maybe not on a consistent basis, but at least on one event.

Last edited:

markojp

Industry Insider
Instructor
Seems we just can't get over ourselves.

FWincrediblylittleIW, used to play a lot of pickup ball in Oakland CA. Mostly always played with the guys, but occasionally asked to play with a group of women at a local college gym if they needed an extra. Most were at that time current D3, and former D1and D2 players... super fun! Anyone hanging off the rim? No. Fun, great passing, point guards with great vision? Yes. Lesser game than the men's pick up games? Nope. Just different. Both were a hoot.

Last edited:

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
You mean this...ah... sport?

As for women's soccer, nothing wrong with this for athleticism.

Entertaining indeed:

And speaking of Neymar:

These are two different sports.

Last edited:

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

Maybe a morgue.

No, it is not about that although that’s pretty clear. It is about the technical mastery in a given sport. I can watch in awe women skiing because it is technically perfect, same as athletics, gymnatsics,skating and many many more.
Watching girls play football on the other hand gives me creeps. But I admit it is pretty funny.

Rich_Ease_3051

Getting off the lift
Pass Pulled
No, it is not about that although that’s pretty clear. It is about the technical mastery in a given sport. I can watch in awe women skiing because it is technically perfect, same as athletics, gymnatsics,skating and many many more.
Watching girls play football on the other hand gives me creeps. But I admit it is pretty funny.
It's interesting to think about why women's soccer and basketball are funny to watch.

If I have to guess, these sports require high impact lateral movements with a quick first step followed by sudden stoppages that's brutal on young girls knee ligaments while young boys have stronger ligament interconnections that enable them to train longer and harder and become more skilled in time. A young male athletes training regimen would probably cause a young female higher rates of ACL injuries, impeding their sports career.

There may have been young female athletes who became as skilled in their youth compared to the top footballers but their careers cut short due to ACL injuries in their youth.

Last edited:

Rich_Ease_3051

Getting off the lift
Pass Pulled
The internet is actually replete with studies saying women suffer higher ACL injuries in soccer and basketball due to physiological differences.

And these are legit medical sources, not broscience.

1681030311614.png

I guess @Tony Storaro, athletics and gymastics are more forward motion rather than lateral side to side motion. So young female athletes in athletics and gymastics are less prone to ACL injuries, which enable them to train harder and gain the technical mastery that we witness and love with the likes of Simone Biles. This is not the case with soccer and basketball where the lateral sudden stop movements put a stop on potential of young female athletes.

With skiing, even though it's a bit of a lateral side to side knee motion, it won't cause the injury rates that female soccer and basketball players experience because there's no sudden stoppage. When we carve, we don't really do as many sudden stops like basketball and soccer players do. There's a bit of a forward momentum going down the hill until we get to the end of the run when we have to do a hockey top. Even then, the strain on the knee is not that hard compared to a basketball or soccer player that has to go the opposite direction of the stopping leg/knee while doing a full stop, from 100 to zero stop on the stopping knee.. The force is greater and they have to do this many times, probably 50-100 times, in the course of a day. Whereas a skier would probably only do this (sudden hockey stop) 5-10 times in a day.

And even then, the ski hockey stop isn't really going from 100 to zero in an instant. It's more like a gradual slow down until the friction of the ski causes the lateral stopping to be completely still. Whereas in basketball and soccer, the stopping knee has to go from 100 to zero in a millisecond.

Attachments

• 1681028894185.png
    1681028894185.png
    51.2 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
One of the interest things I learned when both kids swam very competitively and my daughter was having hip issues in her early teens. Joint and tendon wear is huge in the younger ages 0-20yrs as they have not yet fully developed causing long term damage. Yes they feel little which is part of the problem. In certain sports Dr's are seeing what should be joints of 50-60 olds in kids in their early teens.

A friend of ours who used to ride horses competitively phrased it well, I can push a 3yr old horse hard and they last 5 years or wait till there 5 yrs old and they last 20 years.

As parents/coaches/instructors we should consider what damage we are doing short term that effects long term health.

Rich_Ease_3051

Getting off the lift
Pass Pulled
As parents/coaches/instructors we should consider what damage we are doing short term that effects long term health.

It's an epidemic, not just in skiing.

1681037558011.png

In certain sports Dr's are seeing what should be joints of 50-60 olds in kids in their early teens.
term health.
JFC

markojp

Industry Insider
Instructor
There are many people such as Tony and myself who find female of the species slower and weaker compared to men and are not entertained as such and would never watch it because it's boring. The entertainment comes from watching the maximum brute force, speed, agility, reflexes, etc that the human species is capable of and in some sports, women cannot cut it.

Just trying to explain the entertainment factor from a certain spectator's point of view.

In some sports, those that use transport as an equipment, women can clearly cut it. Danica Patrick is proof having won a race event against a field of men. But I think that's a different genre of sports, ie sports with transport as an equipment, and in this type of sports, women can be competitive against men to some degree. I put skiing in this category. I think it's possible one day that women can match the times set by men in slalom. Maybe not on a consistent basis, but at least on one event.

... and Mikaela would still clean your clock every which way you'd imagine, but that'd be boring to watch. Hey, but let's sing our praises and hoist a cup to our gender's fragile egos and our inability to recognise or celebrate excellence in both genders.

Man o man, do any of you dissing women's sports have daughters?

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

I do. Love her more than my life and exactly because of that would never let her practice weightlifting, wrestling or boxing.
Or encourage her pursue a career in football as that’d be laughable as I believe I pointed out already.

Skiing, tennis, cycling, athletics, volleyball, handball or almost any other sport on the other hand are totally on the table.

It is not about my fragile ego, as fragile it is not, it is about keeping it real and not distorting the reality in fear someone will get offended.

DocGKR

Stuck at work...
Skier
I am at a major university with many incredible athletes, male and female. All three of our kids played college sports (one boy, two girls). Many of my best Students, Residents, and Fellows were involved in competitive athletics.

I am utterly in favor of balanced multi-sport athletics as a healthy component of life, growth, and maturation for both men and women.

Rich_Ease_3051

Getting off the lift
Pass Pulled
... and Mikaela would still clean your clock every which way you'd imagine, but that'd be boring to watch. Hey, but let's sing our praises and hoist a cup to our gender's fragile egos and our inability to recognise or celebrate excellence in both genders.

LOL you keep keep comparing top athletes to us mere mortals I don't think this is the original poster's point of discussion nor ours.

I don't watch paralympics either. Does that make me a fragile ableist?

Do you watch the paralympics markojp? How about the Invictus games? What you don't? Don't you have disabled family or friends? What do you have against disabled people? Why have such a fragile ableist ego?

See how ridiculous that sounds? It's forcing identity politics on a discussion that has nothing to do with it.

Last edited:

Chuck danache

On the road
Skier
It's an epidemic, not just in skiing.

View attachment 199971

JFC
I have a childhood friend who was the ticking time bomb in junior tennis some years ago, wrote and released a book about it last year, and has been speaking to the topic nationally and a USTA event. This is something that urgently needs to be addressed. Pretty intense story.

Attachments

• 91B3ABEE-A077-4975-B8D6-FEE03E1457AB.png
    91B3ABEE-A077-4975-B8D6-FEE03E1457AB.png
    576.3 KB · Views: 11

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier
These are two different sports.

Well, they are certainly two different selection of clips - the bloopers for one and the far too few athletic highlights of the other. But, hey, stack the cards, whatever. At this point you've exceeded my quota for watching soccer for the rest of the decade. Such a dreary sport - whether played by men or women. Vast majority of the time nothing interesting happens. Typical 90 minute match could be condensed down to 45 secs. And it would most likely end in a penalty shoot-out which are about as exciting as watching darts. :duck:

Sponsor

Staff online