• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

New England Wachusett Mountain - Abruptly ends season pass sales.

TS
M

Mark1975

Getting on the lift
Skier
It was not an abrupt end to pass sales though. They sold out.
How many years in the past (excluding the Covid restrictive last year) did they "sell out" of passes in August? I will bet the answer is "none".

Edit: My friend just emailed me that they didn't shut down pass sales last year until mid-October. And that was at the height of the Covid pandemic.

TS
M

Mark1975

Getting on the lift
Skier
Is your friend's name Scotty?

And honestly, it is not greed. If it WAS greed, they would be selling as many passes as they could. It sounds like your friend shouldn't have waited. I would bet dollars to donuts there there was notifications from the mountain that there was to be a limit of pass sales and that it could end at any time.
No his name is not Scotty. But who is Scotty?

Steve

SkiMangoJazz
Pass Pulled
Again, bad information. They sold out of the Bronze passes last year much earlier than October. Possibly the Gold passes were available later, I don't know.

Things changed with COVID. They had to restrict how many people came. I'm glad they did, it was still way too crowded mid-week last year. Berkshire East is off the beaten path. I teach there. They don't have to pass limit sales, although I think they did sell out of day passes many times last year.

As to cut off dates for discounts, that's mixing apples with oranges. Those dates are public. Selling out is based on..... wait for it ........ sales.

Steve

SkiMangoJazz
Pass Pulled
Looking at their FB page, it's clear that they planned to limit quantities and release more as they know more about possible capacity restrictions. While there may not currently be restrictions, given the Delta variant (and others we don't know about yet) I would not be surprised if that changes. The mountain may also have been advised by the state government that the government is considering restrictions so they put a hold on passes until they know more.

No his name is not Scotty. But who is Scotty?

The guy in the picture who didn't buy his pass in time. A warning.

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier
One of the ski resorts in Australia, Thredbo (not a Vail resort), nearly doubled the price of its season passes for the season. Early bird went from A$850 to A$1650. Also announced sale of restricted number as there were Govt mandated capacity restraints and had no trouble getting sales - that resort has an army of well heeled devotees.

It is an example of maximizing revenue in the circumstances (capacity restraints) but my guess is that the lesson that demand was not hugely affected by price will spill over into more normal, unrestrained years. I'll bet other resorts in high demand will also learn that lesson.

Looking at their FB page, it's clear that they planned to limit quantities and release more as they know more about possible capacity restrictions. While there may not currently be restrictions, given the Delta variant (and others we don't know about yet) I would not be surprised if that changes. The mountain may also have been advised by the state government that the government is considering restrictions so they put a hold on passes until they know more.

Can't help thinking that Rachel is a little over-countered in the upper body. Also needs to get out of that right turn before the imminent collision with an out of control Scotty!

Steve

SkiMangoJazz
Pass Pulled
I just found on another forum that as of August 16th Gold passes were sold out. As I said Steel sold out months ago. There might have been some Bronze and Silver still available as of that date.

It sucks that your friend couldn't get the passes he wants, but don't go berserk over the cost of day passes - honestly 4 hours is plenty to ski there, after 30-40 of the same runs I'd want to leave too.

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
You know, the more I think about this, the more I think your friend's surprise is disingenuous. He checked before he went on vacation a couple of weeks ago and they were available then. That indicates he knew he was at risk of not getting a pass by waiting since he thought there was a possibility they already weren't available.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Ski Liberty and Ski Roundtop were the first resorts I went to that had time tickets, 2 and 6 hours. I always thought 4 would be perfect. 3.5 hours for $68 seems in line with the market and IMHO fair for a 900+ ft hill.

Steve

SkiMangoJazz
Pass Pulled
You know, the more I think about this, the more I think your friend's surprise is disingenuous. He checked before he went on vacation a couple of weeks ago and they were available then. That indicates he knew he was at risk of not getting a pass by waiting since he thought there was a possibility they already weren't available.

I honestly have some doubts about the veracity of his calling and being told passes were available. Some people say things to justify their feeling of losing their entitlement that aren't always completely accurate. Lots of angry frustrated people blaming their situation on others in the world these days.

TS
M

Mark1975

Getting on the lift
Skier
Again, bad information. They sold out of the Bronze passes last year much earlier than October. Possibly the Gold passes were available later, I don't know.

Things changed with COVID. They had to restrict how many people came. I'm glad they did, it was still way too crowded mid-week last year. Berkshire East is off the beaten path. I teach there. They don't have to pass limit sales, although I think they did sell out of day passes many times last year.

As to cut off dates for discounts, that's mixing apples with oranges. Those dates are public. Selling out is based on..... wait for it ........ sales.
I was told by my friend that the Gold passes were sold until mid-October last year. That is what he always bought for the family.

If they set a firm number of passes to be sold, wouldn't it be more fair to people that are thinking of buying to have a "counter" on their web site stating exactly how many where left. Something like "10,000 gold passes available, 8000 sold, only 2000 left" I see that type of thing on Ebay all the time. Basically a caution, if you want to buy something, and the number of items is getting low, you better not wait. I see the same type of counters on ski retailers who sale over the internet. If you want to buy a certain model ski in a certain length, they will say "Only 3 left in 181 cm" or something to that extent.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I was told by my friend that the Gold passes were sold until mid-October last year. That is what he always bought for the family.

If they set a firm number of passes to be sold, wouldn't it be more fair to people that are thinking of buying to have a "counter" on their web site stating exactly how many where left. Something like "10,000 gold passes available, 8000 sold, only 2000 left" I see that type of thing on Ebay all the time. Basically a caution, if you want to buy something, and the number of items is getting low, you better not wait. I see the same type of counters on ski retailers who sale over the internet. If you want to buy a certain model ski in a certain length, they will say "Only 3 left in 181 cm" or something to that extent.
Maybe...but there wasn't. They said upfront that there would be limited and not to wait. He waited, he and you are blaming them.

Steve

SkiMangoJazz
Pass Pulled
Sure that would be nice, lots of things would be nice in this world. But not having them is not grounds for complaints.

Scarcity is a great motivator for sales. "Buy now before they're all gone" is not sleazy, dishonest or greedy.

As Phil said, greed would be selling so many passes that the place was even more overcrowded than it was last year.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Most of the families I know that go to Wachuset frequently live west of 95, meaning a 60 to 90 minute drive. Their kids might play another sport so weekend long trips arent an option. Driving to say Sunapee is longer, just as expensive, just as crowded, barely better conditions, slightly bigger but not really better terrain, so many people will pay the same (yup same not more) than comparable options.

I would just go to Cannon for the day but haha they raised their prices too.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
They are basically selling you a half day pass for $68.00 that would make a whole day pass $136.00. The mountain is nothing to brag about let alone worth $136.00 for all day. The locals must be furious.
I am not familiar with ticket pricing in the East but as a western skier I have never seen a half day ticket sell for half price; usually its 10 or 15% off the full day ticket and only available in the pm, so NO discount am powder mornings.
Personally with only 925' vert and 3 top to bottom runs I would be bored and ready to quit after 3.5 hours and ready to start the après-ski. :duck:

Steve

SkiMangoJazz
Pass Pulled
Driving to say Sunapee is longer, just as expensive, just as crowded, barely better conditions, slightly bigger but not really better terrain..

I ski at Wachusett a lot because I live :15 from there. I have a great time there. However Sunapee is a bigger mountain and definitely has better terrain.

GB_Ski

Out on the slopes
Skier
Hi, Mark, I feel for your friend. It sucks. Last season, several of my friends who usually buy frequent skiers cards had to upgrade to full priced season passes because frequent skier cards didn't give them booking priorities. I told them that if they want to ski, they need to get the season passes early. They ended up paying a lot more for the season passes.

As far as counters, like "Only 5 left" or "6 people have purchased this in the last 2 days" are considered as dark pattern. It's a psychological manipulation to give you a sense of urgency.

TS
M

Mark1975

Getting on the lift
Skier
Maybe...but there wasn't. They said upfront that there would be limited and not to wait. He waited, he and you are blaming them.
Well, it doesn't matter to me...I don't ski there. I do feel bad for my friend since he knew the area and felt safe letting his kids go off on their own from time to time.

However, I do feel the only alternative being offered (the 3.5 hr session tickets) are over-priced and crazy for what Wachusett is (very limited terrain and trails). They basically have two partial length beginner trails, 3 off the summit, and maybe 4 off the Minuteman lift that go half way up the hill. It would be cost prohibited for him to buy those session tickets for his family, drive to the mountain, and not have a full day there. Remember, you say 4 hours would be enough for you, but try maximizing your skiing when dealing with 4 kids. I have skied with him and his family. It is like herding cats. You really need to be there a full day. Ski a little, hot chocolate break, ski some more, lunch break, ski some more, hot chocolate break, ski some more, heard the cats to leave and hope you are not forgetting one of the kids or their equipment! And that is if the weather is nice. Now, try doing that in 3 hours.

Again, doesn't matter because he picked up Epic passes for the entire family and plans to ski mostly a Crotched Mountain NH, which is only 30 miles from his house in Ashburnham, MA. Crotched has the same vert as Wachusett, more trails, and is never crowded. Actually, this may have worked in his favor :ogbiggrin:

Steve

SkiMangoJazz
Pass Pulled
Crotched isn't a bad mountain, glad he got passes. "Never crowded" is a bit of a stretch though, particularly last year.

There's just something about someone coming on a forum with a thread title and post attacking a company so strongly that will always get the same kind of reaction that you got from us. At least you didn't just sign up and have that be your first post here ha ha. We've seen that happen all too often.

TS
M

Mark1975

Getting on the lift
Skier
Hi, Mark, I feel for your friend. It sucks. Last season, several of my friends who usually buy frequent skiers cards had to upgrade to full priced season passes because frequent skier cards didn't give them booking priorities. I told them that if they want to ski, they need to get the season passes early. They ended up paying a lot more for the season passes.

As far as counters, like "Only 5 left" or "6 people have purchased this in the last 2 days" are considered as dark pattern. It's a psychological manipulation to give you a sense of urgency.
Well it is, if the counter is not being truthful. I have found them useful if used properly. One time I was planning to buy an item from a ski shop, waited too long, and the counter was zero. I thought if I call directly, they probably have some left in back stock. Nope. They told me the counter records actual inventory as a service to their customer. When it says zero left, it is gone. Lesson learned.

TS
M

Mark1975

Getting on the lift
Skier
Crotched isn't a bad mountain, glad he got passes. "Never crowded" is a bit of a stretch though, particularly last year.

There's just something about someone coming on a forum with a thread title and post attacking a company so strongly that will always get the same kind of reaction that you got from us. At least you didn't just sign up and have that be your first post here ha ha. We've seen that happen all too often.
Again, I just can get over the session prices, and the fact you can't buy a multiday ticket there. Personally, I think if you are going to limit sales, especially there where the season doesn't even start to after Thanksgiving, maybe not until December if a warm fall, stopping pass sales in August, without a firm date seems or an warning that passes are really getting low in stock seems silly. I really don't think many people would think passes would be "sold out" in mid-August (or earlier as you stated). People would understand that you will lose some early buy discount, but not being sold out. Again, just my opinion, and I am glad I don't have to deal with that situation.

Sponsor

Staff online