• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Water skiing…

noncrazycanuck

Out on the slopes
Skier
haven't water skied for two years now (a few medical issues) but hope to be back up again next week for a start on my 7th decade .
Deep water starts on the slalom were already getting progressively harder in my sixties. So if I don't make it on the first shot it isn't going to get easier.

With good driver coordination I always prefer one leg starts from calf deep water or stepping off a dock.
We've primarily skied in the ocean and the North Pacific gets cold. Nice to stay dry starting and stopping.
At speed making turns rarely notice the spray.

Eleeski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Then if you want team sport, you throw in Show Skiing. Strong as ever in the Mid-West.
That was a serious omission. Show skiers have unparalled skills and have to coordinate them with the rest of their team. Amazing! My son was a waterskier in the Waterworld show at Universal Studios (I think it is the most popular performance in the park except for maybe the first week of Harry Potter) so I absolutely know the talent and dedication of show ski performers. Most of his other skier cohorts had roots in show skiing.

Thanks for illuminating that incredibly fun aspect of waterskiing.

Eric

Eleeski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
There does seem to be a recurring concern with getting up on a slalom. Personally I can vouch for that. Once I get up, I can run shortline. But getting up is no longer a given. I had to design a rear toe hardshell that I could kick in after starting foot out. Of course, the second hip added a level of difficulty to one foot starts. What is today's limiting factor, the hip or the back?

One nice thing about aging up is that our maximum speed slows down. So a bigger ski (which is easier to get up on) will work well in the course at the lower speed. A wider ski might resolve a lot of the starting issues. You can purchase your way to easier starts!

Of course, my physical therapist has a better plan. He has me working on leg and core strength. Fundamental things that are useful for - everything.

Shore starts, dock starts or whatever gets you up will let you enjoy the thrill of waterskiing. Keep at it!

Eric

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
My limiting factor on slalom is my weight. :) Slalom jump skis are great though.

Dwight

Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
1656683375776.png

tch

What do I know; I'm just some guy on the internet.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Re. getting up on slalom: I've always found that the trick is to get the skeleton to take most of the force. If you position yourself right, and straighten your legs just as the boat takes off, you can almost relax your way up. Lean back and let the legs drive the ski to a plane. Trying to muscle up will wear you out, for sure.
Only time I've ever missed was when a too-powerful boat yanked me over the top before I could get set.

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
Re. getting up on slalom:
The right timing between the boat driver & the skier can make all the difference. The skill of the driver is half the battle.
If a start or pass is successful it is always attributed to the prowess of the skier. If the run is bad, it is the fault of the driver ogwink!
My partners used to tell me the only way I would be happy was if I could drive the boat & ski at the same time :doh:.

C5CC622C-BA34-491D-8D69-354544069414.jpeg

Slemers

Getting off the lift
Skier
Back in the mid 70's I had a 10 Ft Gw Invader with a 50 HP Merc. With the engine tilted almost full down it would get me up slalom with a power prop.
It took me awhile to figure out what was going on with a couple of friends as drivers. When I layed it over with Pat he would accelerate and maintain a constant speed. My other buddy would let the boat bog when I loaded it up and down I'd go. I had to be much less aggressive when he was driving.
Needless to say my little 10 FT boat didn't have autopilot or throttle :)
The last time I skied was on a small lake in SW Washington in 2007 behind a 14or 15 foot 4 cylinder inboard. Couldn't get up on one ski so I had to drop one.I had to show my 11 year old that I could still do it.

tch

What do I know; I'm just some guy on the internet.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Now that looks entertaining. I have to admit (and no disrespect meant here, Dwight), I never really got the attraction of barefooting. I did it once or twice, but you just ski/foot along, not really doing much. It seems like a party trick. Slalom, with its sharp cuts and technique, the ebb and flow of centrifugal forces, always felt much more engaging.
Thoughts?

Reactions: Tex
TS
Tex

Tex

Yee-haw!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Now that looks entertaining. I have to admit (and no disrespect meant here, Dwight), I never really got the attraction of barefooting. I did it once or twice, but you just ski/foot along, not really doing much. It seems like a party trick. Slalom, with its sharp cuts and technique, the ebb and flow of centrifugal forces, always felt much more engaging.
Thoughts?
I think I agree with ya tch, it's one of those "hold my beer" tricks. :ogbiggrin:

Dwight

Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Thoughts?
It's all good. Though I could say the same thing about downhill skiing. :)

Barefoot is just another water ski discipline. There 3 event barefoot tournaments, tricks, slalom, jump. Takes lots of practice and lots of falls at 40+mph. Water becomes very hard above 35mph. There are also Figure 8 tournaments with head-to-head rounds. Endurance races too.
We all strive to get better and learn new tricks.
The best part is the fellowship in the boat at 6am.

Water skis.
Trick, Slalom, Jump, wakeboard, and surfing, are all fun and trains different muscles. I have done all of them. On bare feet, you won't see me jump, not at 55 yr old.

TS
Tex

Tex

Yee-haw!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I always worried about hitting a stump barefooting...That would hurt..

Dwight

Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
I always worried about hitting a stump barefooting...That would hurt..
Hitting a stump? Your boat is probably trashed too. Hitting floating objects, yes, can happen. Fortunately, I have a great crew with great drivers. We also stay off the river when major debris is around.

I have had friends hit logs, fish, and alligators. Not fun. Friends have also burned holes in their feet. Long time to heal. Hole in a foot is no easy recovery.

TS
Tex

Tex

Yee-haw!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
So @Dwight , tell us your water ski story. Do you compete, did you compete, your kids compete, you on a ski club, you run a ski club?

Actually everyone, lets hear your water ski story. I already posted mine.

Last edited:

Sponsor