• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

California/Nevada Welcome to Palisades Tahoe The Name is New. The Legend Continues.

Average Joe

Out on the slopes
Skier
While I don't think the new name is the best, it will not stop skier one from coming.
It will not stop the already committed from coming, but obscure references won't help generate brand awareness among the rest.
I find it odd that Alterra would choose such a clunky three syllable name and couple it with a two syllable geographic. The resulting five syllable name rolls off the tongue like....well, not so easy.
And when it gets shortened in popular usage, like A -Basin, will it be P- Hoe?
You'd think a corporation that created Alterra and Ikon would have done better.

Last edited:

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
By trying to use it to rebrand both mountains I think they have probably ensured that most if not all existing users continue to refer to Squaw and Alpine as a way of distinguishing. AM committed no crime why are they subject to the punishment? AM is also the most generic of names when you think about it but at least they have heritage.

I think Alterra are going to have to sink a lot into name awareness among the casual destination skier crowd. I know their own name felt a lot like a hedge fund or ED drug, but Palisades Tahoe feels so much like a condo development rather than a mountain,

Truberski

Getting off the lift
Skier
A two part question, will the new name stop any of the true diehards from skiing there and will it stop anyone else from vacationing there? the answer to both parts is "no".
Don’t disagree but as a marketing guy this makes me shudder. They spent so much time, money, and effort building the brand and they may lose the very casual “consumer” in the name change. I get why they are doing this and they’ll get plenty of free publicity in the short-term but the new name will never reach the same level of recognition nor connection to all the history (again among those that are less passionate about the place or winter sports). Will be interesting to see how much reference there will be to old name in year 1 advertisements and promotions.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Crime and punishment?
Metaphorically.

I know it's sensitive so we shouldn't joke about it but AM have to suffer that awful rebrand to address the cultural insensitivity issues of FKASV.

I know Alterra want to create the vibe that it's all one resort but it isn't - they surely are better with a Alta-Bird or a Whistler-Blackcomb vibe. Who is going to going to be saying "I'm skiing Palisades Olympic Valley today" rather than FKAS?

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
It will not stop the already committed from coming, but obscure references won't help generate brand awareness among the rest.
I find it odd that Alterra would choose such a clunky three syllable name and couple it with a two syllable geographic. The resulting five syllable name rolls off the tongue like....well, not so easy.
And when it gets shortened in popular usage, like A -Basin, will it be P- Hoe?
You'd think a corporation that created Alterra and Ikon would have done better.
This feels to me that this wasn't chosen because it was the "best", but rather because it was the only thing they could come up with that doesn't have something wrong with it.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Who is going to going to be saying "I'm skiing Palisades Olympic Valley today" rather than FKAS?
Yeah, it just does not roll off of the tongue.

Cameron

Out on the slopes
Skier
It's like a group of people were talking about how awful the rebranding of the Indians as the Guardians was and someone from KSL said hold my beer.

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
I thought it meant shovel. :huh:…or little shovel.
shovel = pala, I think.
I think popsicle is paleta de hielo.
It is Paleta (nobody ever says the "de hielo" part). But I felt Palita was close enough, and love the idea of calling a ski resort "popsicle"

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
I respect them changing the name but not sure I'm going to find it easy to warm up to this name.

Honestly its going to be a long time before I don't intuitively say....
Meet you at Alpine
or
Meet you at Squaw
I’ve always been sensitive to addressing people & places by the handle they prefer along with pronouncing & spelling it correctly (This has often been a boggling task in the ski racing forums) I think the Alpine (Meadows) part of the equation hasn’t changed but switching the vernacular to Olympic Valley would be tough. I think I’ll just meet you at Dave’s Deli ogwink .

I have noticed that some of the big names like Cody Townsend are already supporting the name change on social media.
8EA42AE0-1763-4853-ACAA-F328CBDB469A.jpeg 7B58958D-1C16-43B6-BFDE-962C4FE13FEC.jpeg

The South Lake Tahoe visitors authority & chamber have staged a huge campaign over the past decade or so to call it “Tahoe South”. Anyone who has lived or spent much time here cringes at that name. South Shore, SLT, South Tahoe & even South Lake are all acceptable but Tahoe South is just nasty!

Sierra-at-Tahoe & Northstar-at-Tahoe were easy because we still just call them Sierra & Northstar. Years ago Heavenly Valley made an effort to drop the Valley part and be known just as Heavenly. To many it is still & always will be Heavenly Valley.

Last edited:

Cameron

Out on the slopes
Skier
They dropped the Valley in Heavenly Valley? I guess that shows how much attention I really pay to those sorts of things. :roflmao:

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
For some this will always be Pugski...hell, we still say it some times, we even catch ourselves saying Epicski, granted it is few and far between ny more. Change is uncomfortable...if it wasn't, it wouldn't be a change.

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
Wow, six pages in 21 hours...is that a record?
Anyway, all I have to say is that when I read Palisades, my mind goes:
"skip the bother and skip the fuss, take the Public Service bus..."

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
They dropped the Valley in Heavenly Valley? I guess that shows how much attention I really pay to those sorts of things. :roflmao:
I've never even heard "Heavenly Valley" until this thread. I just thought it was always just "Heavenly". Of course, I've never been there either.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Everyone has their own recollection of the word Palisades. If anyone (see: boomer) is from the NE Jersey/Metro NY region, immediately remember Palisades Amusement Park.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Actually, the first thing that popped to my mind was the old "Palisades Park" song.

Sponsor

Staff online