• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

What a properly fit ski boot feels like on day one

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
There must be numerous ways of describing how a new ski boot should feel to its buyer. But first time boot buyers won't know what they are supposed to feel. I'm hoping this thread might offer some help to these buyers.

Anyone want to offer up your description of how the boot should feel when first trying it on in the shop? If you are interested in posting about this, would you be willing to describe how the sensations might be different before and after any alterations made by the bootfitter?

Last edited:

nemesis256

Patrick
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I don't want to be able to move my foot inside the boot except for a little wiggle in the toes. Being able to lift or wiggle your heel is a big red flag.

No pain either. That won't necessarily show up in 5 minutes in the shop though.

Castle Dave

Getting off the lift
Skier
A comparison would be to have someone wrap your foot and ankle tightly in a Tensor bandage. (Americans sometimes call it an Ace bandage). Leave the toes exposed. It should feel tight or very tight all over but not painful in any specific spot.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Very snug and it may even have uncomfortable, but not painful, pressure points. For the most part, shells and liners can be made bigger but making them smaller is more difficult. And remember only a very small percentage of people will find the stock footbed adequate. It may feel adequate standing in the shop but probably not so much once put into use.

Blue Streak

I like snow.
Skier
I don't want to be able to move my foot inside the boot except for a little wiggle in the toes. Being able to lift or wiggle your heel is a big red flag.

No pain either. That won't necessarily show up in 5 minutes in the shop though.
+1 on no pain.

Blue Streak

I like snow.
Skier
Firm handshake. However, how form is Firm? Like your foot is in a plastic bag with the top of the bag open to the air and your foot under 2 feet of water. Maybe.
Or you foot stuck in quicksand, rather than in the mouth of a crocodile.

Mike Thomas

Whiteroom
Industry Insider
The immediate reaction as the foot slides in should be: "no way, these are way too small my toes are crushed against the front of the boot. There is no way I can wear these." the person trying the boot on should want it OFF their foot before it is even buckled. After about 5 minutes with the boot buckled and being actively flexed the fit should be "maybe? They still feel a little too tight but my toes are now still touching but not crushed.... can I try the next size up?" That's the right size.

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Assuming the bootfitter put you in the right boot for your foot, there should be no pain, but (1) a performance fit should be so snug that you freak out at the thought of skiing in them for the first day, while (2) a comfort fit should feel very firm, you can lounge in them, but your feet are a numb when you remove them. I returned a pair of RX 130 29.5 MV that I could not lounge in at home without pain and the shop ordered some RX 130 MV and my current Lange RS130 (LV) in 30.5 for me to try on. I could lounge in them without pain, they are too snug, and I did freak out in the middle of my first ski day. I didn't want a performance fit, but that's how the sizing in that series fit my feet. I'm still skiing in them a few years later, but I had to have the right toes blown out. Left have been just fine except one small punch. I don't think i would have had the guts to buy them if I hadn't read so many threads on boots at Epic.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
Well fit boots are comfy enough for all day skiing, even if the liners are rock hard and they are as stiff as WC race boots. However, they might be very painfull BEFORE they are stretched where needed. That doesn't mean that you shouldn't start from as close a fit as you can, nor does it mean that getting a high performance (racing) boot to fit your wide high volume forefoot, high instep, narrow heel, low ankle feet won't require a ridiculous amount of work. Settling for a mid volume one step down from top end racing is an easier route.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Very snug and it may even have uncomfortable, but not painful, pressure points.

Agree. Slightly too small in every regard, but no pressure points.

Of course a pressure point or two may develop during the first day, which is no biggie, just calling for a visit to a guy like @Philpug.

Caveat: From decades of boot buying, you may know that the right boot will "pinch" in a few places on your foot. For me, it's my "bumps" at the midpoint of my outer foot. If I don't feel a bit of pressure there, the boot is too big!

cem

Out on the slopes
Masterfit Bootfitter
Industry Insider
i like the "very firm handshake" analogy or a 1/4 size too small but remember every individual is exactly that an individual and each person has a different sensation and tolerance to fit tension, so whilst we need that boot to fit very firmly there has to be a bit of latitude in what really firmly actually means

i see a lot of clients who over compensate for a boot which was too big in the past by trying to tolerate a super tight race fit but truth be told when they get on the hill they cant tolerate it and we end up having to do a lot of work to get them close to comfortable, equally i see a number of people who suffer from "this boot is touching my foot" syndrome, as always the key is assessment, without knowledge of why they have this sensation it is very difficult to get them close to where they should ideally be....

another common one is i have never had problems in rental boots.... normally as they have been in a boot two sizes too big, their expectation is it is going to feel like that but perform like a race boot

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
The immediate reaction as the foot slides in should be: "no way, these are way too small my toes are crushed against the front of the boot. There is no way I can wear these." the person trying the boot on should want it OFF their foot before it is even buckled. After about 5 minutes with the boot buckled and being actively flexed the fit should be "maybe? They still feel a little too tight but my toes are now still touching but not crushed.... can I try the next size up?" That's the right size.
Mike nailed it. Specifically he captures how most people respond when first introduced to what will eventually become that "firm handshake" fit. I suspect that, other things equal, if you tell someone "firm handshake" s/he is still likely to end up in a boot that is too big.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
i have never had problems in rental boots...
:roflmao: Good one!

"Oh yes, you did. They were just different problems." ;)

Sponsor

Staff online