• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

What was wrong with the old fashioned all-metal dipstick?

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I just checked the oil on my brother-in-law's car, a Honda Fit.
He is a bit technologically inept, so I discounted his complaints about how hard it was to read.

But no, he was correct. It is nearly impossible (at least with clean oil).

It has a bright orange plastic tab at the business end, the same color as the handle. Plus the tab has a slightly raised edge, making it harder to fully wipe it. The color contrast with oil is poor, and you don't get as distinct a bead at the edge of the wetted area as with oil on metal.
I had to try in sunlight and shade, get real close and squint, and eventually poke at it with the corner of a paper towel.

If it was my car, I'd be tempted to break off the tab -- it looks like the metal stick goes all the way through it.

Laurel Hill Crazie

AKA Rob Davis
Skier
I thought it was just me and reading oil level but the dipstick from my 2017 VW 1.8 TSI is near impossible to read it's has a light brown hue to it and must curve before it gets into the pan so it leaves an oil trail way past the full mark. Even after several thousand miles, the oil is still amber colored.

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
Metal dip sticks are so last year. Next years plan, biodegradable dip sticks.
Save the planet.

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
My most recent Land Cruiser is the last year of the UJZ-100, a 2007. It has been retrofitted to have a dipstick added....last supplied on essentially the exact same car, in the 2003 model year. I really like having a dipstick for the engine, as well as one for the transmission. Hence, my ongoing search for a perfect low mileage 2005-2007. HaHa. Actually, I have a pretty great one, as well as a damn nice 2003. Yeah, big carbon footprint in our house. Two drivers, two LC's, two other cars....ALL with metal dipsticks! Haha.

Last edited:

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
I was gonna say, consider yourself lucky to have a dipstick these days.

My dad used to have a 1934 Bentley. No dipstick, but I did have a little glass viewing port for engine oil level.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
Still better than the BMWs with no dipstick at all. Just an electronic sensor that doesn;t display until the engine has been and driven for a few minutes. Totally stupid.
Beat me to it!
Manufacturers are catering to dealers who don't want their customers to be able to tell how much oil is in their engines. It makes it easier for dealer service departments to over-fill at oil changes and then charge lots of money for replacing blown seals. It also allows them to make money selling new engines 'cause the warranty doesn't cover driving it with low oil.

It's part of a trend towards all electronics with built-in obsolescence. My 2015 Mazda 3 has no transmission fluid level dipstick at all. So if you plan on keeping your car past the warranty period, you have to measure how much comes out when you change it and put the same amount back it.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
The thread title cries out for some kind of quip.

silverback

Talking a lot about less and less
Skier
The plastic dipstick is used on Mercedes too. Almost impossible to read, especially with fresh oil!

db0daf32-32e9-7566-a6ec-9d4bf21c92dd.jpg

Sponsor