• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

What was wrong with the old fashioned all-metal dipstick?

Jersey Skier

aka RatherPlayThanWork or Gary
Skier
I don't have a phone...
72acbd08b0a9141188ec55c0d9b178ea.jpg

Fuller

Semi Local
Skier
The last time I got my oil changed at the dealer they might have overfilled it but due to the drain plug not being tightened the oil light came on by the time I got home. I was one block from my house so I hand tightened it and filled it my self with some crappy stuff that's been hanging around my garage for 20 years. My subsequent interaction with them was less than ideal. You would think a profuse apology would be in order but I actually had to fight to get them to do it again for free. It does have a metal dipstick though...

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
The last time I got my oil changed at the dealer they might have overfilled it but due to the drain plug not being tightened the oil light came on by the time I got home. I was one block from my house so I hand tightened it and filled it my self with some crappy stuff that's been hanging around my garage for 20 years. My subsequent interaction with them was less than ideal. You would think a profuse apology would be in order but I actually had to fight to get them to do it again for free. It does have a metal dipstick though...
My wife used the local family owned Subaru dealer for service for decades but when they sold to a bigger auto group service slipped but was still acceptable mainly because the service manager had known us for decades and made sure we were satisfied. When that owner sold to another large auto group the service completely tanked. No more dealer service for her.

All loose drain plug stories I hear are at dealers...
Or quick lube places. They usually hire anybody who can (sort of) turn a wrench.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
We had the company car serviced at one of those fast change places where you don't get out of the car, (Victory Lube IIRC). Next day I'm taking the vehicle to a heating oil spill. I notice an oil sheen in the parking lot. Maybe someone parked there before me? Got to the site. Car's doing a pretty good impression of the Exon Valdez. It's not a good look to be leaking oil when your the consultant directing an oil clean-up.

BTW, my Mazda Dealer used up his three strikes:
- He stripped my oil pan drain plug and had the audacity to charge me for a new one;
- He repeatedly over-torqued my wheel lugs so that I had to cut off studs when it came time for me to do a seasonal tire change over;
- He tried to charge me for a wheel alignment that was not done.
Now I'm wondering if he bothered to drain and fill the transmission fluid, or only charged me for doing so.
I do think he did the oil changes though.

snwbrdr

Out on the slopes
Skier
Just wait until the plastic gets brittle and starts to fall apart. Has happened to my handle on my VW's, actually, the flange that seals against the plastic dipstick extension.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I don't get the plastic end, either, but come on......pull dipstick, lay gently on clean paper towel, and there you have your oil level.

If I'm going to rant about modern car stuff, it shall be climate control systems. Give me my wife's Honda Element approach any day.

Three dials: One chooses temperature, one chooses where the air blows, and one chooses the fan speed.

Job Done!

Seldomski

All words are made up
Skier
Here's the "dipstick" on my car. Checked via a phone app...

Screenshot_20210425-090751_myAudi.jpg

I've seen the oil level vary considerably when I check it. The car hasn't been driven in 2 weeks which is why I think it's showing 'minimum.'

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier

Same here.

Seldomski

All words are made up
Skier
Here's the "dipstick" on my car. Checked via a phone app...

View attachment 132216

I've seen the oil level vary considerably when I check it. The car hasn't been driven in 2 weeks which is why I think it's showing 'minimum.'
And then after driving 3 miles... guess the service calculation is based on date car was last on...

20210425_132948.jpg

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
The oil level should vary a bit with temperature. That's why most dipsticks for car fluids have a hot and cold line.
If you car is sophisticated enough to have an electronic readout for oil level and a phone app, the oil change interval for sure will have a complicated computer algorithm, unlike mine which is just set for so many miles and a date by the guy who does the oil-change.

TS
mdf

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
My father in law had his oil changed at a local gas station. The next day the engine seized (and THEN the warning light came on). Had the car towed back to the gas station. The owner looked under the hood, said "Oh no, the kid didn't tighten the new oil filter!", apologized profusely, and told us that he (or his insurance) would get the engine replaced with a new one at the dealer.

He did, but the experience serves as my illustration of the way most people's perceptions gradually shift so they aren't the bad guy. By the time the new engine was received and installed, the gas station owner was angry at us and grumbling that we should have stopped driving before any damage was done.

dan ross

Making fresh tracks
Skier
What? No Tesla jokes here?
Generally, if I own the car, I change the oil /filter myself using a siphon pump -easy. Every other time I’ll drain it from the pan. That’s the “ Cranky Yankee” in me. If it’s a lease or under warranty I let the dealer do it.

snwbrdr

Out on the slopes
Skier
If I'm going to rant about modern car stuff, it shall be climate control systems. Give me my wife's Honda Element approach any day.

Three dials: One chooses temperature, one chooses where the air blows, and one chooses the fan speed.

Job Done!
But automotive reviews thinks that is outdated technology, and they still complain about the current technology of HVAC controls buried in infotainment menus

I miss my old Passat, with the "Semi-automatic" Climatic climate controls. 3 simple knobs, temperature, fan speed and air position, plus buttons for AC, defogger and rear defroster.

2006-vw-passat-2-003.jpg

dan ross

Making fresh tracks
Skier
But automotive reviews thinks that is outdated technology, and they still complain about

I miss my old Passat, with the "Semi-automatic" Climatic climate controls. 3 simple knobs, temperature, fan speed and air position, plus buttons for AC, defogger and rear defroster.

View attachment 132254
A few years back I leased a Q5. The first time I took the family out in it I needed to adjust the climate controls . I got the 300 page manual out of the glovebox but in the meantime my then 11 year old had figured it out -it was all nested menus in the touchscreen but you’d never know that by looking at it. I looked at him with pride and amazement and then realized I was living in HIS world. BTW, it was/is a great car but the 3.2 liter engine cost at least $5 every time you started it

snwbrdr

Out on the slopes
Skier
But automotive reviews thinks that is outdated technology, and they still complain about the current technology of HVAC controls buried in infotainment menus

View attachment 132254
I meant recirculate (which is the button, iirc in the upper right.

I do miss the old car... 2.0L turbo, 6-speed manual, station wagon.... but too bad no AWD with the 2.0 FSI-turbo. But I don't miss replacing cam followers every 40,000 miles.

Sponsor

Staff online